Is anyone else getting a huge influx of these people

I’ve been getting a crazy amount of people making offers on my items that don’t have best offer option on them through my message system. It is what it is, but some of these people just don’t get the hint. I’m curious if this is something going on with others as it’s something I’ve always delt with but I’ve been getting a lot of them lately.

3 Likes

I get a fair amount of these and I’m a small time seller.

2 Likes

I’ve always gotten these, no influx but my number of listed items has shrunk considerably

@cullers, Would you take a packet of Hubba Bubba gum, a toy soldier and a POG slammer for your Blastoise?

Asking for a friend…

3 Likes

Lol the $35 one isn’t terrible but the rest are funny…gotta shoot your shot

1 Like

Constantly getting these, I tell them thanks for the interest but this is a buy it now listing. If it doesn’t sell in a couple years message me then.

1 Like

I answer in one of two ways.

Say the item is listed with no offer for 200.00 and they say 100.00

1. “I paid 200.00 and would like to break even”.

2. “I can’t take less than 250.00”

3 Likes

I get them fairly frequently and honestly get a few sales here and there from them. It doesn’t bother me any more than any other eBay message really, but any message is an annoyance honestly. Sometimes I have listings I put up months ago and the price has dropped or I just feel like moving it on for the occasional reasonable offer that comes through.

I’ve even bought cards this way in the cases of cards that are severely overpriced with no best offer or cards that dropped severely and have been clearly listed for some time.

2 Likes

I actually did this recently as well. A California record store has listed the sealed Beatles “Butcher” album for $30,000.00 with no offer. I messaged them and said I’d drive down and pay 25,000 in cash the next day.
Their reply? None. Not even a “screw you” lol.

That’s fairly normal, as long as they’re not insulting offers I usually just say something along the lines of “I’ll pass at $40 for now, but if I’ll take lower then I’ll let you know!”.

Honestly I think you’re bringing this on yourself…

• Your PSA 9 H5 Crobat is up for sale for $80 yet this card doesn’t appear to have sold for higher than $49 in the past year and a half. Is $54 really a bad offer?
  • The $280 offer on your Blastoise is definitely low, but this card has sold recently for $330 and earlier in the year was selling for as low as $255. Your response of “cool” could be seen as an indication of “yep, let’s do it”, so it’s no wonder the guy got back to you asking if it was enough.
  • The average sale price for your PSA 10 1st Edition Computer Search in the past year is $210.70 Why do you believe $250 isn’t a good offer and that yours is worth $800?
  • The average sale price of your PSA 9 1st Edition Misty’s Seadra in the past year is $29.31… $35 sounds like a good offer to me!

If someone listed a card I wanted for my collection with a markup of between 136% (Misty’s Seadra) and 379.67% (Computer Search) I would without doubt message them to ask if they’d accept a lower price.

In your shoes I would have accepted 3 of those offers and got back to the Blastoise guy with an offer of $350 or so.

22 Likes

If its an auction I just say, "sure, place a bid on the auction to that amount and see if you win"If it BIN and you dont have best offer “No”…easy

These are just the messages I’ve gotten for the last few days. I didn’t want to put down everything. I understand your point, and I’m not going to defend my pricing, mainly because I’ve done this far too long and don’t care what others think anymore.

I’ll just say this, I’ve gotten responses similar to yours and I usually message the person back. Do you want me to let you know when this item sells, and I’ve sold every ‘overpriced’ I have eventually.

Also, just specifically the $54 offer. Yes, it is a bad offer when they offered 55 before.

1 Like

Generally, I don’t respond unless it’s an item I’d rather move on from. Requests for more pictures are my least favorite. There have been multiple threads outlining why these are bad. Needy buyer, card is already graded, etc.

I’ve had a several return requests in the last few weeks that were submitted before I shipped. It’s odd to buy something then immediately request for a refund. Those buyers are blocked from all future transactions.

3 Likes

While it may be a bit annoying to get these messages, in their shoes they may only be able to afford the offers they’ve given you. I’m sure they aren’t trying to insult you, but from their view point it doesn’t hurt to ask. You can always just not respond.

3 Likes

I just have a copy/paste reply I use:

Hey!

I am not accepting offers on the card at this time. You can sort through my listings using eBay’s filter options to see which cards I am open to lower offers on.

Thanks for the interest!

Cheers,
Charlie

9 Likes

Nice, polite, and don’t come off as being an arrogant dick at all! I like it

5 Likes

I’m not insulted. It’s more of an eye roll, like, this again…

Any return request that isn’t my fault gets auto blocked from me as well.

I recently had one on a 5k sale. The person overextended themselves elsewhere, but because off ebays overreaching policy, they came back weeks later and could return the item to pay for their flavored vapes.

4 Likes