Pokémon Emerald

So… I want nothing more than to catch Shiny Rayquaza. I’ve been trying to scour the internet for help with what works, what doesn’t. Blah blah blah… DOES ANYONE have any knowledge in the GameBoy department of things that could help me resolve this ever so aggravating question that’s killing me on the inside.

Can you stand in front of Rayquaza in Pokémon Emerald and soft-reset if it isn’t shiny… OR is it just going to continuously be the same Pokémon…/ Rayquaza…?

Also… if that method doesn’t work; can you do it where you encounter Rayquaza and than run from the fight and re-enter the room and reencounter him…? Does this Method work?

HOW can I get myself a Shiny Rayquaza in Emerald!!! Please help!!!

Just stand right in front of it, battle it, and soft reset if it isn’t shiny.

The sprite outside of battle will never be shiny. Need to initiate the battle in order to tell.

4 Likes

I saw a video a guy just run from it then exist re enter and fights it again.

I’ve successfully RNGd for a shiny Rayquaza in Emerald. It requires a bit of work beforehand but it’s a 100% successful method if followed properly. This guide will explain everything you need to know/research:

www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/emerald_rng_part2

3 Likes

Shiny legendaries never made sense to me from a canon perspective. Still, pretty cool.

4 Likes

I second using the RNG manipulation method. It requires either starting a new game, or already having a shiny pokemon from that same save file. Search Gen 3 RNG manipulation on YouTube and look through some vids for a feel of if it. By far the easiest way to get shiny pokemon in Gen 3.

1 Like

Yeah this is what I was talking about. I was trying to figure this out, and have absolutely NO idea what they’re talking about… And I don’t want to start a new game. It seems too complicated for me. I just really want to know if one can spawn when I interact with it while soft resetting, or if it’s just the exact same “Rayquaza” that I’ve been having spawn for me. I’ve seen so many different posts. Some that say soft resetting doesn’t work in Emerald specifically because it’s broken, and then I see some people say are posting video’s of getting one after soft resetting…

But I read that some people have spent MONTHS soft resetting for Emerald specifically… and never getting one and the reason for that is because it’s always on the same “tick” so you’ll never spawn a shiny version unless you’re constantly changing the positioning of your game/ Rayquaza… ie; interacting with Rayquaza, either killing it, or running from it… and going out of the room and coming back and having to re-interact with him over and over again…

So with all that being said. Is there anyway I can have you possibly help me figure out how I could get a Shiny Rayquaza in my Emerald game… via the directions on that “smogon” page… WITHOUT starting a new game…?

Thanks in advance for anyone’s help.

You don’t have to restart your save file, that just makes it a bit easier to find your Secret ID. Your SID, along with your Trainer number (TID) found on your Trainer card with your badges, determines how many seconds/minutes/hours you have to wait for your shiny frame, or “tick” as you called it.

One way to find your SID is to catch a shiny pokemon by normal methods, like running in the grass until you encounter one. Then once you have a shiny, you calculate it’s IVs and determine your SID from a website that converts your shiny Pokemons IVs to an SID.

Once you have your SID, you can find what time your shiny frame is on, and encounter Rayquaza at that exact time, and he’ll be shiny. My game has a shiny frame at about 41 seconds. So I just restart my game, wait 41 seconds, then encounter a pokemon at precisely 41 seconds and it is shiny. It’s hella complicated, so PM me if you need more help or have any questions. I spent a long time trying to figure it out myself, and would be glad to give you the rundown.

2 Likes

The RNG is indeed broken in Emerald. To put it simply, the game basically does a calculation every frame to decide whether or not your encounter is shiny. And because Emerald is kinda broken, whenever you start up your save file your “frame counter” is set to to 0. This means if you were to mash the A button the second you load up your save file and encounter Rayquaza on the first frame, it would be the exact same Rayquaza every time. So if your shiny Rayquaza doesn’t happen to be in the first few frames of when you load in, you’re going to have to wait more and more time after each reset and remember how long to wait after each reset just so you can encounter it on different frames… basically it’s not worth attempting that method.

Thankfully however, in Emerald you can just run from Rayquaza, leave the room and walk back in for another chance on a different frame every time (just like in the video PapaFrankGod linked). I’d recommend this method, but if you’ve not shiny hunted before I warn you that it can take a very long time (1 in 8192 chance of shiny in Gen 3) and this method requires a bit more effort as you actually have to navigate your way to Rayquaza instead of mindlessly spamming A. You can also try the RNG manipulation method but that isn’t an intended method and I personally think at that point you might as well just hack the Pokemon in. I feel part of the fun in shinies is knowing you overcame crazy odds to get them. But I guess that’s easier said than done if you want the Rayquaza in an old Emerald cartridge, because old Action Replays are getting quite rare/expensive I believe.

TL;DR: If you don’t care about getting it legit, I’d take up leafblade’s very kind offer to help with RNG manip. Otherwise follow the method shown in PapaFrankGod’s linked video and be very patient.

So let me first start off by saying this… I think the way I want to do the Shiny Rayquaza hunt is just doing the running away method… but I have a few questions regarding that.

1st off; IF I am encountering Rayquaza and running away from it, coming back to the room… encountering Rayquaza… etc… etc…

• Do I then have to keep my game on basically? Or can I turn my game off with a NEW save file? Or how does that work… Let’s just say or example: I’m turning my GameBoy on. I’m playing it and doing these Rayquaza runs, encountering… running, coming back… repeat…
  • I then am getting tired and I’ve been doing this for say… oh I don’t know… 3 hours MAX… Haven’t encountered a Shiny. Should I then create a NEW save from that point. Or is it basically pointless as it’s not doing anything to my game since after the save I’d essentially be back at 0 again…? That I think is the one point that I am really struggling the most with right now at this current moment.

I don’t understand the dynamics of how the RA method works, and saving your game/ keeping it on… Because I obviously don’t want to just leave my gameboy sitting on next to my bed while I’m sleeping on the charger all night long… as I then would wake up and have to go to work and come back and who knows when I’d be able to play again… So really… How does that work…? Can one of you guys possibly help me out with this question. What am I to do when I am essentially “done” hunting for the Shiny variant for the day/ night… Do I save and then power down? Or do I just turn it off and basically say F it… and just turn the game off?

2ndly; I would like to know what the best option is when doing the RA method… because sometimes it doesn’t allow me to actually run away… I’m assuming that has something to do with the Rayquaza out speeding my Pokemon or something along those lines? Or am I just wrong all together with that statement…? Because it really has me in a tither when I try to put this all together in my head… because at one point I’ll encounter Rayquaza with my highest level Pokemon, which at this very moment is a level 68… And of course Rayquaza is automatically level 70… How is it that I can run away sometimes, and other times it will tell me I “cannot run from this fight” and then get one shot by Rayquaza’s Outrage or something…

Thanks again guys for all the help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Yes, you can turn off (with or without saving) and do the run away method the next day.

As for running away here are 3 methods to guarantee an escape:

1. You can give your lead Pokemon a Smoke Ball to hold (if you do this method make sure to turn off battle animations in the settings as smoke ball has its on animation which will really add up in time). The player in the linked video is using this method.
  2. Catch a Poochyena with the “Run Away” ability and use it as your lead Pokemon.
  3. Get your fastest Pokemon and level them up until you outspeed Rayquaza. However Rayquaza has quite a good speed stat and idk exactly what it is, so I recommend the others.

The game runs at 60 frames per second. So essentially, every second 60 different unique Rayquazas are generated. The frame on which you encounter Rayquaza will determine which Rayquaza you get. So, the very minor disadvantage of turning your game off is that when you start a new shiny hunting session you have a very small chance of econutering the same Rayquaza you did on a previous day, but I wouldn’t worry about that too much. I assumed you don’t have and old DS? They can be flapped down and essentially go into sleep mode and last for hours without losing much charge.

But you have me a bit worried when you say 3 hours “MAX”. Just want you to know that it can take very long to get a full odds shiny in the old games. In that video it takes about 30 seconds per ecounter of Rayquaza. The chances of finding a shiny in Gen 3 are 1 in 8192. So if you do 8192 encounters at 30 seconds each it works out to just over 68 hours… And that’s assuming that you get average odds and are perfectly efficent the whole time you’re playing. So an everage result would probably be getting him after a month straight of 3 hours per night. However there have been some nightmare scenarios where people go into the 10,000’s of encounters before getting a shiny, so be warned. If this is your 1st shiny hunt you’re starting off with one of the toughest hunts in the series. If you’re good at multitaksing it might not be so bad, but if doing these encounters requires your full focus it might get tiresome pretty quick. Let’s just say I’m probably coming up to 100 shiny Pokemon and I don’t think I’ve done a hunt as demanding as this one yet. The worst I’ve done is a full odds (1/8192 again) soft reset for shiny Mewtwo. Whilst soft resetting is probably only slightly faster, I hardly had to pay any attention to what I was doing, so I could easily watch YouTube and even play some games at the same time.

All that being said, if you manage to do it you’ll have me massively impressed and I wish you the best of luck :grin:

@azulryu, the multiple anime/ trainer owned legendaries tilted me just as hard

1 Like

No I don’t. I’m actually using a GameBoy Advance SP.

And I think I’m going to try to take into affect some of what @leafblade said… I’m currently trying to catch a Shiny Pokemon of any sort… just running through some grasses trying to find ANY random Shiny Pokemon… so that way I can get my SID… That way hopefully I’ll be able to actually know when I can get my Rayquaza vs sitting there doing that so tediously… The only way I’d be happy to do it tediously is if I had the GameBoy Player for my Gamecube… but that’s like $150 minimum… But I want one SO bad because I want to be able to use my controller and my TV so that I can play the game on an actual screen. That and I also want to do the IPS mod to my GameBoy SP as well as mod my case… so I want a fully “custom” GameBoy SP.

That’s ultimate goals. Once I have that done; I’ll be super happy. But I really need to get the money before I can do any of that stuff… )=

Sounds good. The odds for a random wild ecounter are still 1/8192 though. So if you plan on getting more shinies in Emerald after Rayquaza then I’d say it’s worth it. But if you just want the shiny Rayquaza I doubt it will save you much time, if any.

2 Likes

I agree. If it was me, I’d full-odds Rayquaza, use him to find my SID, and get whatever shinies my heart desires after that. This way you get your primary objective first, and everything else is relatively easy going once you have your SID.

Kinda sucks tho, RNG manip is good if you want multiple shinies. If you just want Rayquaza and don’t already have a shiny Pokemon, then there isn’t much you can do to increase your odds. There may be a way to get SID without a shiny, but I’m unaware of such a method.

2 Likes

I’ve been told that you can get your SID but you need someone to trade you I believe with some special thing? I can’t remember the exact forum posting, I’ll try to find it and post it here, but I don’t know of anyone who would live near me that has an original DS that can play the GB Advance games and trade… as such; that makes things a little more difficult for me. I’m sure if I could figure out how, I could go to my local store that actually has a regular DS and put in like Ruby or Sapphire or something along those lines and just play it until I catch my first Pokemon and then go from there with getting my SID…

I found this for one… “A TTDS would find this pretty easily! However, if you send ANY Pokemon up to gen 7 you could ask someone to check your SID using some external tool”

And the other I found is this… “Pkhex is an external tool someone can use. Its a pokemon data reader”

Another comment is this “transfer something to gen 4 or 5 and upload to pokecheck.”

And of course this one, which brings the trouble of finding someone who has a Shiny… or myself not having a Shiny Pokemon to do the transfer check with… “Just transfer a Pokemon from 3-4 and use Pokecheck.org from there.”

@shinyrayquaza, if you can find a way to upload your save file onto your computer, I highly recommend PKHeX from projectpokemon.org . It is a free save editor program that allows you to see your secret ID (SID), your pokemon’s personality values (PID), and much more. It’s very cool!

1 Like

OR you can just play legitimately. I’m pretty comfortable with the mathematics behind RNG and data abuse, but if you’re wanting to actually shiny hunt for the thrill of shiny hunting, then just do it legitimately. I’ve been doing that for the past 15 years. If you want a shiny Rayquaza on Emerald, then listen to what the previous guy said about running away. Simply save in front of Rayquaza, flee if it’s not shiny, run in and out of the entrance to the top of Sky Pillar, and encounter it again. Rinse and repeat until its shiny. Doesnt matter when you turn your game on and off, due to the math the previous guy already explained. Or, even easier, just soft reset for him in HGSS

I can’t wait for them to allow the transfer of pokemon from PoGo to Home other than the first gen.

you can get shiny legendaries much more easily in PoGo than the regular games. I’ve got 3 shiny Rayquaza on 2 accounts.

1 Like

So can you explain to me how I would be able to save my game? Or where I would save my game to? I’m just using my Gameboy SP… I didn’t know there was a way to save your game?

Could you elaborate on that for me a little

1 Like