Best and/or Worst Shiny Pokemon Experience(s) in Games

Hey everyone!

I just posted on another thread about my little sister’s Shiny Uxie, and it got me thinking about my shiny pokemon experiences throughout the years. Sorry it’s a long post, but here are my stories, I hope you enjoy and I hope to hear about some of yours!

Story 1: My first shiny pokemon ever was a shiny psyduck in Pokemon Sapphire. At the time, I didn’t even know what a shiny pokemon was, I just thought that the game was broken, but I caught this little blue guy anyway and showed it off to my friends. Only now looking back do I realize I was lucky to even catch it. The pokemon was encountered in none other than the safari zone… It could’ve run away at any moment!

Story 2: Playing through Pokemon Leaf green I had just reset my file and started a new one. I had fought maybe a dozen or so pokemon at this point in the game. Just before leaving viridian forest, I Encounter a beautiful golden caterpie! At this point I knew what Shiny pokemon were and was absolutely losing my mind! First time I ever actually got to play through an entire story with a shiny pokemon as a primary slot in my team.

Story 3: This one is the big kicker! So I was doing a replay of Pokemon Emerald a handful of years back and I started my fight against Kyogre. I was into EV training and whatnot at this point, and I was trying to catch one with a good nature. So I was doing the reset and master ball tactic. One of the very early resets, maybe number 2 or 3, WAS A SHINY! Not only that, but it’s nature was actually decent, I believe it is careful, which ups sp. def, sadly it decreases sp. att. At least I could max out sp. def and just sit with an obese whale absorbing hits. I snapped a picture of it during the battle, but I can’t find it and I’m furious right now! My salamence named Bagel was fighting it! I am gonna keep scouring my hard disk, but I feel it’s on my external hard drive that isn’t currently functioning… :sob:

Anyways, I hope those stories were entertaining! I’ve had a colorful history with shiny pokemon, dozens caught and bred. A near flawless bred shiny Aegislash, bred Litten that is lvl 100 EV trained because I wanted to keep litten cute. Hard dealings on the old wi-fi chat with serebii during DPPT. Good times.

I am very excited to hear some of your stories about some of your own triumphs or shortcomings in the virtual lottery of shiny pokemon!

6 Likes

Back in the day in Pokemon Go when Aron were everywhere and easy to farm… My first shiny was Lairon and had a choice to evolve it or a powerful Lairon… I decided to show off by evolving the shiny one and using it as my pet… Final form 700cp. Then I caught a Charizard and switched straight to him.
Fast forward after a long break and Aron is not easy to find T_T therefore I can’t evolve my strong Lairon.

2 Likes

I have only ever encoutered two shiny Pokémon in the games. The first one was in LeafGreen were I caught a shiny Sandslash on Victory Road. The second one was a Basculin in Omega Ruby that I accidentally managed to knock out… :sob:

The process of farming/breeding for shinies has never interested me, nor have EV training for that matter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

Worst experience was Swinub community day Pokemon go; first swinub I found was shiny, which promptly ran away. On the next one, my game crashed. Finally got one 5 minutes before com day ended but the least enjoyable community day for me.

1 Like

I’ve had a couple interesting ones. The first was on a playthrough of Crystal a couple years ago. Had just beat the Elite 4 and got teleported back to my house in New Bark Town. Went to surf to the right to go to the Kanto region and found a shiny tentacool. Ended up doing some breeding and got a shiny corsola and kingler out of it as well.

Next was on Emerald. I was playing through the game and came up to the rocks north of Mauville that you need to rock smash in order to progress. There’s something like a 15% chance of encountering a geodude, and on the first try I happened to encounter a shiny one. I played through the rest of the game with a shiny golem in my party.

Unfortunately, the internal battery died on my Crystal so I lost the Tentacruel and everything else on that save. My Emerald save file corrupted as well so goodbye shiny Golem.

1 Like

I found a shiny Blastoise in the Battle Pike of Pokemon Emerald. It’s the Battle Frontier, so you can’t catch pokemon… I just stared at it in disbelief for like 30min :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

In Sun and Moon I Sos chained for shiny Pokemon a ton. Unfortunately I also use to do the same method to get all my hundreds of shiny Pokemon to level 100. I have a complete shiny Dex :-). So I’d often encounter shiny Chansey. I kill the other then next thing you know it you got double shiny Chansey. I also use to battle a ton and would get my Xerneas to plus 6 special attack defense and speed during competitive battles. Let me just tell you the people battling me would rage quit sometimes :joy::joy::joy: imgur.com/a/SJBUW09

2 Likes

I’m one of the few people that does not care about shinies. Most of them look worse than the originals, and outside of Gen 2 where they had slightly higher stats, there is no statistical benefit. The only difference is their color.

2 Likes

Some that I recall when I played pokemon gold with my brother:

-Shiny corsola: My bro fished one with a super rod, we didnt know about shinies back then, or at least how they worked. We called it the crystal corsola like the crystal onix.

-Shiny pidgey: Was my turn of playing (we had 1 gameboy) and I came across a weird pidgey. It was 100% not brown like the others, and I showed it to my brother. He said it was just another shit pidgey and should run from it. I said it was weird looking and that we should capture it. We argue for some minutes and I ended up running from it. Now I searched the shiny sprites and yes, it was a shiny.

-Shiny graveler: Found one on victory road and it allahu akbared.

Fun fact, I had a list as a kid, with the “shiny” pokemons of the anime, that I needed to find in game, as I thought that’s how it worked, that they included those games. My list included a pink butterfree (because of the dialog in lake of rage), a violet shuckle, cristal onix, to recall a few. Yeah good luck with those dumb old me. Also a red caterpie because a friend told me he came across one running in the red flowers of the Ilex forest.

1 Like

I couldn’t respond to each person because I had to go to bed after posting, but those are some fun stories. I feel particularly hurt about the traveler blowing itself up. Electrode would be an equally as bad encounter. I typically try to save my master ball and use it on a shiny so I don’t accidentally kill it. Otherwise I never use the master ball.

Just reading the experiences as kids and not haveing a clue what shinies are makes me chuckle. It’’s funny the things we thought back then. Thanks for the stories so far! I hope to see some more going into the future!

My first shiny story is actually very similar to yours. It was an exeggcute from the safari zone in fire red. Like you, I had no idea what a shiny Pokemon was, and only realized many years later what it was and that I was lucky to even catch it lol.

My most recent shinies were actually both in Pokemon Gold. Several months ago I was just casually going through the game and found a shiny Girafarig while taking a shit. Thank god my pants were already down because I shat myself. I unfortunately lost my shiny giraffe a couple months ago in an attempt to get my 15+ year old game shark to work. It did not work, but somehow still managed to erase my file :slightly_frowning_face:

I am sad that I didn’t transfer my shiny giraffe to my Pokemon Stadium cartridge before losing it, but I was looking to start a new game anyways, so I did. A couple of days in and I’m back on the toilet going through the game again and lo and behold a shiny Rattata appears! Not as cool as Girafarig, but I ain’t gonna complain about getting a second full odds shiny in gen 2.

1 Like

My first shiny was the first Heracross I ever ran into while playing Pokemon Silver as a kid. I knocked it out. Later, not only did I realize what shiny Pokemon were, but I realized that Heracross is just rare, period. Sigh.

1 Like

Shiny golden mightyena in Emerald near the safari zone. To my dismay it used roar before I could catch it :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Playing Gen 3, never knew about shinies. My sister played for 10 minutes and goes this pokemon (cant remember) is a funny colour, she preceded to kill it because i didn’t believe her.

1 Like

oh boy, in pokemon crystal I soft reset for a very long time to get a shiny suicune since it is tied for my favorite pokemon. I finally got it and 2 or 3 days later my save file was corrupted and lost. So i lost my suicune as well as 1 or 2 other shiny pokemon on that game.

I am currently working on a shiny team for 3rd gen, trying to get a shiny eevee in leafgreen. Currently I have a shiny charizard, kingdra, articuno, and metagross.

1 Like

Best Shiny Experience:

When Pokemon Emerald first came out, I remember thinking I was more interested in catching a Ralts and leveling it up more than any of the starters.

Going into the first patch of grass in the game that I knew had them, I just so happen to encounter and catch a Shiny Ralts on my first try! Lol

That Shiny Gardevior was on my team for the entire duration that I played Emerald Version. Never once went into a battle without it :blush:

(Was always my starter when playing against friends… Had to flex on them and show em who the boss was)

Worst Shiny Experience:

This isn’t so much my “worse”, but not my proudest I’d say lol

When Silver Version has first dropped back in the day, no body really knew what a Shiny pokemon was, til you got to Lake Rage and encountered Gyarados.

Well wayyyyyy before getting to that part of the game, I was super interested in trying to get the Baby pokemon. The first egg I hatched was a Igglybuff.
At the time, I didn’t realize that when a pokemon comes out of the pokeball, and it glimmers, that meant it was shiny.

As a kid I just thought every Baby pokemon did that and for the longest time had no idea that was my first ever shiny pokemon LOL

4 Likes

Worst shiny experience: Finding my first shiny Pokemon in Rayquaza after like 800+ soft resets when stuying for an oral exam, while also preparing for a presentation in the morning, not sleeping through the night, having a brain freeze due to sleep deprivaton during the presentation and finding that the exam got cancelled indefinetely last minute. It was more about the circumstances than the shiny. :grin:

Best shiny experience: While casually walking through the game the same day, randomly encountering a shiny Alolan Sandslash that came to calm me down.

2 Likes

In ruby/sapphire I remember someone showing me shiny pokemon for the first time. I was so excited cause his looked so cool. Then a few weeks later I found my first shiny…………. It was Wurple…………. No worries I thought, hopefully I get a Beautifly. Nope… it became a Dustox.

1 Like

I’m an avid shiny hunter and have been for well over a decade now. I actually have a setup where I play 12 GameBoy Advance SPs at once, in synchro, so I can run through more encounters in less time. My best shiny experience was playing in the FRLG Safari Zone and trying to catch a shiny Scyther but instead running into 7 Full Odds shinies in a 24 hour period (which I believe is a undocumented world record for shiny hunters). The worst is the fact that I have yet to catch that Scyther after seeing three of them and they all flee immediately. Literally hurts me physically when they do.

I also accidentally released my brother’s shiny Gyarados from the Lake of Rage. My thought process as a child was that if I just go fish in the same spot where we caught him, he would show up eventually. I mean I released it back into the wild, so why not? Just as I thought, I found another wild shiny Gyarados on the first encounter. It wasnt til years later I realized how simultaneously lucky and stupid I was at that time.

2 Likes

I don’t actually have bad shiny experiences with the exception of playing Pokemon Crystal through 10+ times and finding only 2 randon shinies ( Rhyhorn and Aipom ).
Naturally the odds are much better in Sun & Moon games and so far I have at least 100 shinies by using SOS method, haven’t played them in a while. There are many perfect catches but finding shiny female Mareanie with Bold nature and hidden ability Regenerator was certaintly jaw dropping moment. :open_mouth:

1 Like