The Pokemon Playground Theories Thread

Being that this was on my mind today, I figured id make a thread with a discussion on this topic, seeing as im sure everyone here has experienced this before.

Smpratte spoke of these several times in his various youtube uploads, noting little things like how Marill was originally called “Pikablu” by many before the actual western release of the second. There were also many theories and various tales around the video games, how to get the fabled Mew in Red, Blue (Green), and Yellow version, and probably many others which ive never even heard of.

So I figured with all that mind, id love to hear what “theories” you’ve heard growing or, or just anything relating to Pokemon during that time frame that was word of mouth and not necessarily true, but still fun to indulge in!

Ill start with a funny weird one that I heard from two of my old friends who lived a few houses away from my mother’s growing up. These two kids were both brothers, each a year apart and both were 1-2 years older than me, so i looked up to them for a lot of my growing up interests. When Pokemon hit, they had everything before me, so I always looked to them for advice with the games, where to get cards, etc. One day the episode of Pokemon where Scyther and Electabuzz were part of dueling gyms in some random town. Theres a part where the trainer’s Scyther cuts through a bottle of ketchup that Pikachu was oddly enjoying thoroughly, and then Pikachu gets upset while everything keeps moving forward. The younger one of the brothers up the block told me that with that specific part, in the Japanese version of the show, Pikachu actually gets cut in half and becomes Cyber Pikachu, but was actually censored in the US version. I was in shock, and he proceeded to have his brother back him up, saying thats why they added ketchup because it was easy to disguise the actual blood from the cut that took place. I sort of believed them, but I always had my doubts, but to this day whenever I see a meme or something with Pikachu and Ketchup and i cant help but laugh about that ridiculous tale. They said they heard it from kids in their school, and I took that information everywhere i went until a bunch of people corrected me on the matter. Still, i just find it funny now overall and great memories of an awesome time of life.

So thats my input, and I love to hear more various theories, whether related to the video games, anime, cards, anything! Hope this could bring out some smiles and good nostalgia feelings all around!

4 Likes

All of those weird looking cards with the thin font and lack of a shadow are fakes from the swap meet or flea market.

5 Likes

When I was on 2nd grade bunch of other kids were spreading rumours that japanese Birthday Pikachu was the most rarest card in the hobby and cost 2000 euros.

3 Likes

I heard that exact same thing! Specifically because when I got my hands on an English one, all the other kids kept telling me it was “worthless” and nearly made me trade it away haha. But, I now have an English copy and a Natte Wake one just because its cute haha

1 Like

I would have been happy as can be if someone gave me all their “fakes” back then haha.

A couple years ago, a fella believed and shared the myth that Eddie (ebirdman), Scott, and I were all the same person. Thousands of our Pokémon fans got this misleading info and it spread. To this day I get people on my IG asking about that lol.

8 Likes

Now THATS an awesome one! haha, but wait. Can we all be for sure that its not true… :blush:

1 Like

I had a friend who kept telling people that Hitmonlee evolved into Hitmonchan in 5th grade. He bet me money on it, so I brought my collection the next day and showed him that Hitmonchan didn’t have an evolution stage. He still didn’t pay me. XD

When 2nd gen was leaked through Pojo Magazine and the like, my sister and I made theories on which Pokemon evolved or were pre-evolved from others. There’s always the famous Pikablu story with Marill, but the most ludicrous theory we created was that Scizor was a fusion between Mewtwo and Scyther. XD

2 Likes

Mew was not under that damn truck

4 Likes

I remember somehow getting Mew before the boat trip in Pokemon yellow I believe. But when I went to do a replay of the game I couldn’t remember how I did it to save my life haha. Anyone remember what the mew trick was in the Pokemon game early on? Please refresh my memory :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some kids got tricked into believing you could evolve cards (ex: charmeleon to charizard) by putting them right next to a lightbulb for extended periods of time.

4 Likes

I remember when an employee from the Nintendo hotline told me I could catch a Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle in the grass next to Pallet Town. He told me I needed to use ‘Strength’ on a specific boulder to move it, but couldn’t tell me which one as he might get in trouble? lmao.I spent months trying to find a way there because I didn’t own a link cable.

6 Likes

I remember continuously hearing and reading it was possible to catch a Crystal Onix in the gen2 games. I never did but I sure did try my hardest!

2 Likes

@mcorey777, with Mew there was an actual trick I remember near the nugget bridge where you had to do a few specific things then encounter a trainer and hit the start button and teleport, or something to that nature which would trigger the game to glitch to where youd see one in the mild to catch. I actually did it years and years later with a digital copy for my 3ds, but there was no way id ever stumble on that just because haha

and @rattlebear i think that ones on of the best so far hahaha. Maybe I should put my promo psa cyndaquil under one today and maybe by the time i get back hom ill have the Typhlosion im currently chasing :blush:

1 Like

You know funny you mention that because I heard that one as well, which was what made me never ever attempt to look for shiny pokemon as well. After I heard that rumor, when people began saying theres shiny variants of other pokemon aside from the given Gyarados, i was just fed up with all the noise so i instantly stopped believing people on those sorts of things. Good thing i never once actually encountered one because i probably would have just battled it out or restarted my game which would have been worse than not seeing on at all with the given knowledge i have now haha

I remember being told by a friend and his much older sister that in the Gen 2 games at the very beginning if you talked to the rival and he kicked you away 99 times, on the 100th time he’ll appease you and take you to an underground lair where they sell Master Balls.

Attempted it. Didn’t work.

On an unrelated note, that “friend” still owes me $50 from an unpaid fantasy baseball league fee that I organized a few years back:/

3 Likes

One theory I’ve always liked is that a cloyster is a gastly in a shell.

A good one from the playground I remember… some kid told me that he jumped on the back of the SS Anne as it sailed away. Kids eh

6 Likes

I forgot about the biggest conspiracy in Pokemon

Apparently people have come first in the bug catching competition in Gold and Silver.

To this day, I still enter 3 times a week and Cool Trainer Nick beats me every time.

4 Likes

that its set ten years after a great war so there are barely any adult men in the game or dads.

1 Like

And how bout good old Missingno the most powerful glitch Pokemon haha. How was that a thing? And for Mew ya I remember the steps for the most part but for the life of me I couldn’t get it on my replay. I remember the first part had to do with the trainer that teaches you now to catch Pokemon. O also I was told if I pressed Up and A at the exact moment the poke ball hit the Pokemon it greatly increases catch rate :slight_smile:

2 Likes