The Pokemon Playground Theories Thread

Not really a theory but it was super triggering back in the day when I was in second grade and Pokemon had just landed here and boys at my school were throwing Pokemon cards at the school’s yard during break and saying that the cards that landed the furthest were the “best” cards.

3 Likes

Man I remember seeing that episode and thought it was real. There was a group back in the day that made fan made/fake cards. I remember seeing the crystal onix and thinking it was real:

6 Likes

I never played the games, so I haven’t heard much rumors from that side. But one rumor from my youth I still remember was when only gen 1 was released, and gen 2 was announced to come, but no Pokémon were known yet. The rumors was that the 152nd Pokémon was named ‘Egg’. Being from a non-English speaking country, I didn’t knew this actually means… well egg (ei in Dutch), although I learned not soon after. Of course when gen 2 was released there weren’t any Pokémon between Mew and the starters, since the 152nd Pokémon is Chikorita, so I remember being a bit disappointed, haha. :blush:
I think that rumor came from the Togepi egg in the anime. Maybe someone had already seen the Japanese spoilers of the episode where the egg hatched, and it would still take a couple of weeks before that Japanese episode was translated to English and then to Dutch, and then aired on our television (the Fox Kids channel if I recall correctly).

That’s the only Pokémon-related rumor I can still remember from my youth.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Before the English release, the Pokémon “seizure” episode controversy hit our shores. Big story from Japan…turns out, true.

2 Likes

@mcorey777, on top of missingno, check out the glitch city cheat on youtube which is another weird game ruining thing you could do haha. My copy of Red was trashed from Missingno, and i remember using it to battle the Elite Four and it registered in the Hall of Fame which just fried it. I got so upset because that to this day is the only game I ever completed a full pokedex on.

and @garyis2000 I remember years and years later after the release I pirated the episode and gave it a spin, and i actually myself felt sick after that one scene. It was really short (and ive seen much worse color flashing videos that are far worse) but yeah it was pretty bad. I feel bad for all those kids who just wanted to watch the show haha.

and @smpratte I really wish that were real. That would have been awesome to be a part of any of the Neo sets!

1 Like

Ok, this one im nearly CERTAIN I won first before haha. But, I honestly dont remember because I havent played a copy in quite sometime. Plus, crystal was my main go to once that dropped (even replayed it about a year ago) and even then i kinda just skimmed through and cant recall if i won first. I can say it was really, really hard though haha. Gotta get them Scythers and Pinsirs haha

All the skyridge hype would’ve been justified if they had made crystal onix a real thing but nope :unamused:

5 Likes

This need to change immediately! You should experience at least one of the games. Outside of red/blue/yellow, I’d recommend Hgss. :blush:

4 Likes

Start from the very beginning. It will make for a more cohesive, rewarding experience. And just playing the games in general I believe will unlock for you an even deeper appreciation of the TCG.

1 Like

My first pokemon game was pokemon pearl which was an amazing experience, and this was around the time I also got into the TCG.

If I had to give you a recommendation, I would say Pokemon Heartgold/SoulSilver, Pokemon Platinum, and Pokemon Black 2 / White 2, and pokemon Emerald are the tier 1 pokemon games. I’d say Emerald is the most difficult and for me HGSS/Platinum were the most fun. There’s also ways to access the online functions in the games too with reddit servers :blush:

I’d definitely recommend giving at least one of the games a go since these were the best the series had to offer imo, and they definitely added to my love for pokemon

1 Like

Ultra Sun or Moon is definitely worth playing too!! That Ultra Wormhole leads to every legendary Pokemon damn near except a few version exclusives. Also you can trade on the GTS or Global Trade System easy. Also easy to Sos Chain shiny Pokemon if you’re into that like me :slight_smile: I played almost all the games but this one was real kool. I’m also looking forward to somehow playing Pokemon pinball again haha. Pokemon has the best games and best cards with tons of Pokemon. Gotta love them all haha

1 Like

@mcorey777 Pinball was one of my favs, and I just picked up a copy for 10 bucks at the game store I play pokemon at and have pretty much been playing it every day haha. Never played the one for gba though, just the og one

My first game boy was the old school black and white haha. It’s funny our kids or nephews and nieces will never know what it was like without color on your Nintendo Switch or TV haha. It’s funny how much things have changed over the past 30 years. I’m definitely going to pick up pinball at one point. I love pin ball anyways but catching the Pokemon was challenging and fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love this thread!

Back in the day the only thing that mattered to my friends and I was the HP of the Pokemon. I was very proud of my EX Unseen Forces Blissey ex with 160 HP! I’d love to get that in a PSA 10 one day. The value of the pulls from the one pack I’d get every now and then were also measured in terms of HP, again I was very happy to get any card over 100 HP from a pack. Most of the time I’d actually get theme decks because it would guarantee me a couple of 100+ HP Pokemon including one holo.

Back when ORAS was new there was a rumor that you’d get Hoopa if you registered all the available legendary Pokemon in your Pokedex. I totally fell for it and was about 75% of the way there before I did more research…also in XY I tried forever to get into the Kalos Power Plant. I was sure there was a legendary Pokemon in there!

3 Likes

@fourthstartcg you know, that was the exact reason (and to this day too haha) that as a kid I never really enjoyed base set Mewtwo because my friends and I were also obsessed with high HP and then next was attack (hence why we all NEEDED that Charizard which had the high count for each at the time, but i think tied with Chansey for HP). Then once Blaine’s Arcanine released (which I believe was the highest attacker at the time) that was our new “oooooh” and “ahhhhhh” card we oogled over haha. I even went as far as building a deck based around it as well which I played with at the good old Toyrus league (RIP to each, minus that one in Canda or whatnot). I still need one of those for my collection, but one day ill grab one just because!

2 Likes

Sense I originally only collected base set thru fossil really the main “kool cards” were Charizard Venasaur Blastoise and Mewtwo. Dragonite didn’t look fierce or mean. He is more cute and adorable haha. Don’t get me wrong I love all the cards but as a kid we want a badass Pokemon not so big cuddle dragon haha :slight_smile:

@mcorey777 honestly, thats the biggest reason I love Dragonite massively haha. I live and breathe for all the cute Pokemon, and there was nothing cooler to me than a Dragon that could mess you up, but also look adorable in doing so! To each their own!

In the game and definitely on cards we always loved Dragon type Pokemon I just meant as a kid. As a adult they all have their own beauty in their own way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally off topic but “ei” means “no” in Finnish

4 Likes

I have bought from ebirdman SOOOO many times over the past 15 years.

1 Like