Overcharging for shipping?

Explain how it’s not clear?

It’s exceptionally clear. You shouldn’t be charging more than the cost of the shipping and the cost of the materials you used to ship it. The 10% extra to cover their fee is reasonable yes. Anything else is not ok.

If you think it’s reasonable to add on bullshit costs that you’ve made up in your head, then it says a lot about you.

I’ve already explained it multiple times.

By your logic nowhere do they mention that you can charge 10% more to the buyer because eBay charges the seller a fee. So that’s not allowed either?

Why are you so damn argumentative? I’ve clearly stated multiple times in this very thread I’m not a fan of the practice. But I have no problem pointing out holes in the policy that people take advantage of. Don’t lump me into your roaster with the people that actually do.

1 Like

@ozenigma I think that part of eBay guidelines is a bit of a relic too that has just survived to now. They used to not have FVF charged on shipping so this was a huge thing for them. Items selling for $1 with $99 shipping ran amok back then so that is why they transitioned to even charging FVF on shipping. Still it is definitely bad practice to overcharge for shipping, but if the buyer sees it and agrees to it up front they should not complain. If they see it up front they can report it or move on from that seller if they have issues.

I’ve provided the facts, you’ve provided excuses.

It’s not even open for interpretation. They list what you can charge for lol

I’m just going to ignore anything further you say.

@gottaketchumall

It may be a relic, but it’s still policy. I remind you it’s policy YOU and I agree too when we use THEIR platform.

If the shipping cost is X in a listing and it clearly cost far less than that, you have a reasonable expectation to get that delta back.

This discussion IS about what’s reasonable. And yes I know exactly how much overseas shipping costs are, but also we’re talking about domestic shipping without VAT/ other import tax here. And Yes it’s an exaggeration, probably not a great one admittedly.

To each his own (right) but I would personally refund buyer expense over the postage cost + base materials required to keep DOWN the excessive costs paid by buyer. Anywhere that receives mail can have mail picked up - It’s not fair to the buyer to add some veiled inconvenience fee/tax just to help the seller feel that the transaction is worthwhile. (Addressed by the OP, seller openly stated his shipping service, so the buyer is more responsible here than previously thought).

But having that been said again, its buyer beware. The seller has a right to charge whatever they feel is appropriate for shipping & handling within the eBay policy. A buyer has a right therefore to express how they feel about how their money was used especially if having been misled.

@ozenigma I point back to what you posted yourself.

“Handling cost: This can include the cost of packaging materials.”

Nowhere does it say it can only include the cost of packaging materials, but that is the way you are trying to take it. So as @scratchdesk is saying, it can be open for interpretation. Personally I ship nearly everything “free” or including it in the price. Someone charging $5 for a stamped envelope IS NOT technically breaking eBay rules, but IMO and clearly in your opinion as well they are crossing a line. According to eBay rules as you and I have quoted they very well could be including gas on their way to the post office as part of their handling cost.

1 Like

I would leave the seller a negative feedback. That’s the only way these scumbags learn from stealing additional costs from people. I did this to one person and they went through and refunded other people because of the fear I struck them.

I’d understand if they charged $1 for shipping but $5 is plan thievery (for a stamp). If people are okay with this it only encourages the seller to continue doing it. I’ve even obtained a bogus excuse that money went towards “insurance” when there was no tracking much less insurance.

NO ONE IS STEALING MY MONEY. If you do, you are agreeing to my consequences for your action.

No one stole any money here. The OP willingly paid the item fee as well as the shipping fee and got exactly what was being sold to them. The seller clearly advertised the shipping method and the cost they were charging.

It is dumb because if the buyer paid $15 free shipping this wouldn’t even be a thread or a conversation, but since they paid $10 with $5 shipping (the same exact $15…) now everyone gets their panties in a bunch.

I must have missed the part where eBay states;

“This can include the cost of gas for your car”

Or

“This can include the cost of a vehicle, the insurance, registration, gas, air freshener, clothes, laundry costs, your wallet and all other fees associated with getting you from where you are to a place you are able to post the item”

I mean, both are technically fine according to your logic? Does eBay have to list everything you cannot do? GCA, you are better than this mate.

Still doesn’t matter at all. All that matters is the total you take out of your pocket to pay for an item. Only take out in total what you’re willing to pay. Somebody mentioned eBay bucks. Same deal. Figure it in then pay what you’re happy with.

USPS first class is not .49. first class package is around $2.50-3 starting off. Think about if this seller is buying materials from Target rather than in bulk from eBay.

But it’s not the same, because we all have expectations attached to what we buy.

Two scenarios;

1. $15 free shipping item advertised as coming in a letter.

2. $10 item, $5 shipping advertised as coming in a letter.

Which one of those two would you expect to come in a bubble mailer with better protection? In Aus, the stamp price would be the same for both.

In this scenario I expect the “handling” aspect to actually include more, none of this deceitful rubbish.

Again @ozenigma, I don’t think $5 shipping in this situation is reasonable, but it definitely isn’t against eBay rules which you were trying to say that it was. It is a definite gray area, and most people can agree it is likely much higher than it should be. I think the buyer should feel free to leave a low DSR for both communication (unanswered message) as well as shipping fees. This doesn’t warrant alone any reason for a negative or neutral. The buyer could have very well bought from someone who had the card for $15 and free shipping.

I know some folks I have spoke with before both as a buyer and as a seller live about 45 min from their post offices. I myself live 15 minutes from my post office, it just happens to be on the way to my 9 to 5 so it isn’t so bad. I do not think it is remotely unreasonable in some circumstances for a person to charge $5 handling if handling literally involves them driving 30 minutes round trip in a car to get the package in the mail.

First class letter is $0.49. First class parcel starts at $2.57 or whatever it is.

Misled? How? We’re all adults here and capable of reading and adding. It’s the bottom line you’re paying. Don’t worry about how the particulars because they won’t change the bottom line.
I have almost a hundred listings that are FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING. The only reason I did that was so it would be less confusing to buyers.
So…
If you charge 20.00 shipping it doesn’t mean it cost 20.00 to ship.
And if you do free worldwide shipping it doesn’t mean it cost nothing.

The final price is all you should care about.

Oz…that’s been in the written rules for a decade. Back then we weren’t required to pay fees on the shipping fee and people took advantage of that by charging 50.00 shipping on a 60.00 item to avoid fees.
So eBay changed it a few years ago and started charging the same fees on shipping amounts lol.

It has been there, and continues to be there because it’s their policy Gary.

When you dig deeper you’ll find this;

It’s very clear.

Brother you’re thinking like a normal person who charges exactly what it costs and in a reasonable environment. People buying from you don’t have to worry about B.S. shipping charges because you’re honest & straight forward about it. It’s people that charge far in excess of what the actual shipping costs are and then subsequently fail to provide that level of service, that are the problem. In my opinion, the stated shipping cost alighns with a certain quality of cervice expectation. My goal personally is to meet or beat that expectation because its what the buyer deserves.

There’s lots of great points here but I’m going to bow out. My point still stands but I don’t like to get into arguments. :blush:

1 Like

This is probably the most pointless thread since legendaryblu.

2 Likes

I appreciate the discussion and the points brought up on both sides. I tried to resolve this with the seller, but he would not respond. I don’t care about the $5 - but rather the lack of integrity. I expect shipping fees to be reflective of what the seller actually paid, or very close to it. If I paid $5 and and received a bubble mailer and tracking, not as big a deal. But if your motive is to absorb your fees or enhance your own profit, I find it deceptive and shady.

Also forgot to mention it took 13 days from payment to delivery, from Indiana to Chicago.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.