Opinions on 5ban Graphics?

After going through my collection to determine the best and worst artworks of each Eeveelution, I determined that 5ban Graphics is by far the worst artwork for each Eeveelution. Looking at the Eevee Heroes set, it is embarrassing for Pokémon to put out the secret rate Eeveelution V cards with 5ban Graphics artwork. It could have been so much better.

1 Like

No.

28 Likes

5Ban Graphics has some bangers. I almost wish they would do more!

1 Like

That’s 5 out of 806

26 Likes

IMO those aren’t even the best of 5Ban’s work. The gold secret rares of the kyogre, groudon & rayquaza are better and there are some even more fire B&W full arts.

1 Like

I can’t say I like them at all, but I wouldn’t want to take them away from the people who do.

Maybe we could just do less. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just because you don’t like an artist doesn’t mean they have the worst art. Like almost everything in collectibles, art is subjective. I like most of his full art cards from BW and XY and I like his full art eeveelutions from Eevee Heroes. Here are just a few from BW and XY that I like.

11 Likes

I can give you 158 more

No thanks. They’ve put out more than their fare share of garbage for sure, but they’ve also made quite a few bangers

4 Likes

Excuse me?

5 Likes

8 Likes

5ban Graphics is tasked with illustrating the most prestigious modern trophy cards, and they do an excellent job in my opinion. I think they add a lot more than they detract to the Pokemon TCG.

8 Likes

*chef’s kiss*

3 Likes

Yeah like people said above 5ban has some absolute banger cards. The Darkrai from Dark Explorers is to die for (maybe my personal favorite) and tons more are absolutely beautiful (especially in person). I do think a decent amount 5ban stuff is just kinda there though, at the very least inoffensive. But cards that are sterile and uninteresting are just that: sterile and uninteresting. There are very few that I would truly call bad. However, there is an artist who truly makes some hideous cards from the same era. The EX cards of Eske Yoshinob (see: Terrakion EX, Rayquaza EX, Black Kyurem EX) are some of the most hideous and grotesque 3D model cards there are. They actually look like a regression from the earlier CGI work of artists like Akabane and Kinebuchi. I feel like it’s possible people lump these together with 5ban.

edit I’ll link directly to an example. Scroll to the Release Information section of this Rayquaza EX mentioned above and look at the 4 different artworks. The 5ban ones, at least for me, are pretty cool. The Yoshinob ones are pretty offensive.

6 Likes

I dislike most of the 5Ban artwork (I don’t like their style) but I can respect that others like them. @eeveeteam, I agree with you that the 5Ban artwork for the Eevee Heroes set is bad, especially when compared to the alternate arts.

I love their Secret Rare Stadiums, the rest is not for me. I guess the reason why many people (myself included) became so offended by 5ban is the S&M era, where basically every set had like 50 ultra boring 5ban Full Arts and their respective Rainbow Rares, which felt like wasted potential for the SR spot in box (to put it lightly).

9 Likes

I dislike most, but some are surprisingly good. I think certain Pokemon work well with their general artistic output - Rayquaza being the easiest and most consistent example.

However, I do acknowledge that when I look at a 3D/CGI artwork and go “Meh”, most of the time it’s 5ban.

This isn’t to say that you won’t find “meh” artworks by other artists, I just find myself consistently disliking 5ban the most. I hesitate to call it “lazy” however, as I don’t know how much effort is put into designing 5ban cards versus hand-drawn but it’s the impression I get.

6 Likes

Most 3D art is garbage to my eyes, so I’m biased.

1 Like

It doesn’t make me feel what I’m looking for. I don’t really have much of an opinion on it being good or bad.

2 Likes

I think 5ban Graphics has both a lot of amazing artworks, as well as many mediocre ones. Let me start with some of the amazing ones (imo):

Most of 5ban Graphics Stadium Trainer cards are also really well done:

But at the same time, they’ve made stuff like this:

I’m personally just not a fan at all of any of these three type of cards: BREAK, Hyper Rares, and those Full Art Secret Rares with thick random colored outlines and single color backgrounds.

One thing 5ban Graphics certainly has going for them are the poses of the Pokémon. If the Noctowl BREAK would have been a regular colored card with great background like the examples at the top of my post, I’m sure I would have loved it. The pose on the Pikachu & Zekrom GX tag team is very solid as well, I’m personally just not a fan of either of these type of cards (and the fact that I prefer a more natural drawing style over CGI makes it harder for 5ban Graphics to appeal to me in general as well):

Here are some more of their good artworks, where the pose of the Pokémon is used with an amazing background to make it more epic:

The primary issue with 5ban Graphics is that they’re responsible for some type of cards the majority of people don’t like too much, like the BREAK cards or Hyper Rares. I know some people love them, and I also like some of them tbch, but the majority don’t. The lack of natural colors kinda ruins it for me personally, and as someone who really likes backgrounds of Pokémon cards, the three types of cards I showed earlier are just one of the worst type of Pokémon cards in the TCG for my personal taste. And as mentioned by @muk above, most of these Full Art Secret Rares of the SM and SwSh era aren’t just released once, but in two or even three different versions of the same mediocre artwork: regular; Hyper; and in some cases Shiny.

Does that mean 5ban Graphics in general is bad? Definitely not, as the other artworks above clearly shown. That Ho-Oh EX, Alolan Exeggutor GX and Reshiram white SR are among my favorite artworks in fact.

Greetz,
Quuador

11 Likes