GX Card Art Needs to Change

One thing i’ve noticed about newer sets is the more common cards (common, uncommon, rare) have beautiful arts but are overlooked because of their cheapness, while the rarer cards with the exception of FA Supporters are lacking. I can’t speak for everyone else, but I am getting tired of this digital-animated looking style that ALL of the GXs have. It would be nice for a new set to have a sugamori style water color gx, or maybe a ooyama style art just to freshen things up. I believe that will end the feeling of every set feeling the same.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I think that coincides with the hyper rares only having one variant and all looking the same. I happen to have some of the new GX’s grow on me but not all. If the generation of Pokemon is going to continue this way, at least most of the Japanese exclusive promos arn’t all the digital-animated junk you talked about.

You can speak for everyone, this is a common held belief. Quantity and style of full arts and hyper rares is putting people off of new product.

I think the plain backgrounds of the full arts kill it for me. The XY era FA are growing on me and I think it’s because they have a little more going on and the colors don’t always have to relate to the Pokemon type. You have the great Pidgeot full art from Evolutions that looks amazing, and then you have this Palkia with the terrible yellow/brown background simply because it is dragon type.

#ban5ban

4 Likes

The issue is every single card is predictable, even just the regular GX cards.

There’s nothing exciting about the S&M era of chase cards except the FA trainer cards, which were the least favourite of the XY era.

They need a whole paradigm shift.

2 Likes

I don’t mind the GX full arts (they look better in person than the scans above imply), but having a regular and rainbow version is every Pokemon full art is stupid and really needs to go away.

And yeah, the Trainer full arts are often standouts because for whatever reason they’re allowed to be hand-drawn while the Pokemon never have been unless it’s like Radiant Collection or some promo full arts, many of which never even escape Japan.

I agree 100%. I used to love waiting for the pictures of the new full arts to come in from the new sets, now I just know exactly what everything is going to look like. You get Pokemon X on predictable background X, then rainbow version of the same.

The only GX card art I’ve been impressed with is Lugia GX. Imagine if you had that kind of artwork with a real background.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for that Lugia. I like the new full art cards. What I don’t like is the Regular GX Card artwork. Other than GX cards there is still plenty of nice and natural artwork within the TCG.

#ban5ban

2 Likes

I understand the frustration expressed in this thread. I think if you really care about the artwork though, there are many commons/uncommons/rares with fantastic illustrations and that’s where the Sun & Moon era really stands out.

4 Likes

I appreciate the cgi more now than before. However I think the XY full arts look better than the GX full arts. The GX fa’s look saturated to me.

I almost spilled my drink when I saw this Palkia, thank god I´m collecting wotc…:grin:

edit: #ban5ban

2 Likes