And people still say WOTC has the best artwork

Modern Pokemon card artwork for the commons and rares is unmatched, just look at the new set.

www.pokebeach.com/2022/03/time-gazer-and-space-juggler-fully-revealed

13 Likes

That’s one opinion

Counter argument: The art may have gotten better from a technical perspective but it’s lost a lot of its charm.

8 Likes

These are cool:

20 Likes

The Magnemite in Time Gazer is incredible

4 Likes

Lots of Shin Nagasawa in these sets, I’m all for it.

Which V’s do you all think will get alts? Pokebeach also forgot to include Beedrill V in Space Juggler. I think Palkia and Dialga are obvious locks for alts, other than that I’m not sure. I’d love a Beedrill and Luxray alt as well. Even a nice Heatran…just no Machamp, Kleavor, Sneasler or Wyrdeer please. Not that I dislike them, I just like the other options more plus they gave the Hisuian forms character alts already.

That new Mantine though:

15 Likes

Shinji Kanda does it again

1 Like

Great looking set indeed. 2 new Komiyas and 2 new Kandas! Life is good.

1 Like

you can spend way more time soaking in the art nowadays.

Undoubtedly some beautiful cards.

They all say money looks beautiful.

These are amazing! :grin:

3 Likes

Is it weird that I’m most excited by the (un)commons in this set? There’s just too many too list but the new Kurumitsu and Hataya arts haven’t been mentioned yet.

8 Likes

These sets are amazing! I especially love the rendering of 2D V cards, turning them into exciting hits for me.

Teddiursa by Nagomi Nijo hasn’t been mentioned yet and might be my favorite card from these sets so far:

In his latest video on that same subject, @okjluv mentionned 51 different illustrators for Battle Region.
I counted 75 different ones for these two before any secret card reveal. If you’re into artists binders, there’s a good chance that you’ll have a few new additions.

Genuine question: Is it the first time we’re seeing a duplicate card/artwork present in both dual sets? I’m talking about the Eevee by sowsow. I don’t understand that move.

5 Likes

There’s also Unidentified Fossil being repeated.

Which sets are we talking about here with charm?
I’m so glad Ken Sugimori cut & pastes for Pokemon are dead and hopefully never to return.
They worked when we knew no better 20 years ago, but without the nostalgia, no way.

1 Like

just incredible

10 Likes

It’s because both sets have an Eeveelution, so it makes a lot of sense to put an Eevee in both sets. And to not favour either set with a theoretically better Eevee they both get the same. Could’ve been done with different artworks though!

2 Likes

Art always has to be evaluated in the context of its time and therefore I don’t think it makes sense to compare this brand new set to the original ones. Who would seriously want to compare, say, Claude Monet to Banksy or Hieronymus Bosch to Andy Warhol? Each is/was a master of their craft and had a huge influence in their respective era.

Base, Jungle, Fossil and Team Rocket did everything right in their age and they will never be bested in what they accomplished.
Just as the Sword & Shield era elevated the technical aspects and diversified the artisty to a level that’s arguably never been seen before.

tl;dr
Both eras are at the top of their game. Comparing them in a way of “better/worse” doesn’t make sense. And also, as a sidenote, please stop pretending as if the early sets only consisted of “stock” Sugimori - and even if, at the time, they still were fresh as fuck because they didn’t have a 20+ year history of being reused.

14 Likes