And people still say WOTC has the best artwork

Yes!! There is something about this that I love. I can’t explain what it is, or why. But it’s just beautiful

2 Likes

9 Likes

sadly, no metagross.

tldr: no metagross.

2 Likes

They look really good - but the problem is compared to WOTC is the majority of these cards will never be fully appreciated on an individual level. In the WOTC sets, people geuninely really like a lot of the non-holo commons, uncommons, etc. Every card matters in every set and are generally valued on a much higher level of individuality. With modern, pretty much all of the commons/uncommons and other non-holo cards get overshadowed by all the Ultra Secret GX VMAX Mega rare pulls which I think is very unfortunate because a lot of these commons and uncommons or non-holos look really amazing.

Anyway, not saying that people won’t appreciate this set down the line but this is just what I’ve taken from it over the past number of years. I wish it would change and I think all they’d have to do is make the sets smaller or narrow down the chase cards to a smaller pool with less variants of the same card(s) so that people will value the less rare cards more again.

4 Likes

This has been done before with Eevee. Collection Sun and Collection Moon. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Wish it was different artwork in the different sets. If there are reverse holos, then I am ordering 4 cards of the same artwork.

1 Like

Please take the sugimori hate to the unpopular opinion thread, thanks.

3 Likes

Agreed, the whole “cut and paste” Sugimori argument against WoTC sets is pointless IMO.

2 Likes

So with the fast approaching release of these 2 new sets, Time Gazer (タイム ゲイザー) and Space Juggler (スペース ジャグラー), we see their designation is s10D and s10P respectively. I believe it’s safe to assume that the “D” and “P” stand for the box legendaries Dialga (Origin Forme) and Palkia (Origin Forme). Bearing that in mind, is this the first time we see a set designation refer to its own box legendaries? Might just be a tiny detail, but it’s a very meta one at that.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying @expedition ! I’ve never realized that before.

@eeveeteam I was thinking about your collection when I asked this question!

I just miss actual set cohesion

Edit: but I agree, there is some awesome artwork

5 Likes

Kanda has like 5 arts now and they are all bangers.

4 Likes

okay but vending caterpie/neo 4 light ninetales blow all of these out the water

You are not wrong, half of WOTC was just ken sugimori on a boring background. The problem is that modern youtubers like Unlistedleaf and leonhart suck so hard on wotc’s pp that people disregard completely newer commons and uncommons, heck, even regular holos

1 Like

I like the art as much as everyone but there is a hell of a lot of it and there are a hell of a lot of Pokémon, so I think the impact of beautiful artwork has been watered down by these factors. Like this Kanda is obviously having a lot of fun but I have no idea who they are drawing.

**Teeziro got 2 new cards and I’m so happy, he’s becoming one of my favorite artists along with Naoyo Kimura and others. Yuka Morii has been one of my faves since I was a kid, her work is still incredible.

Dom is also a new artist who I really enjoy the style of!**

1 Like

Eh, I think we are kind of in agreement.

The Sugimori artwork worked then, but Pokémon then cut & pasted his art over the next 6 eras and didn’t work after.

Unless others think that Evolutions and other ‘reprints’ over the years are of the same quality because Sugimori.

Doesn’t that make you curious about those mons? The artists are inviting you to discover them in a whole new world

a

5 Likes

Definitely some great artwork. Sowsow, komiya, morii, HYGO, and others. Maybe I missed it since I’m on mobile but I was looking for Kizuki

same as way the TV show “friends” lost its charm after the world evolved culturally

did you play the game these are based on?