No Symbol Jungle Packs Indicators

Hey all,
Sorry if this topic/question has been beaten to death. I found a thread from a year ago made by a member looking over the differences of his Unlimited Jungle booster pack variants, but it was hard for me to follow what was actually established by the pack differences.

One pack had a 1999-2000 copyright and a curved WoTC logo.
One had a 1999 copyright and a rectangular WoTC logo.

I believe the member opened the 1999-2000 copyright variant to find that there was the corrected version of the holo, but I could not tell if there was any ruling on the 1999 pack to that regard. I did some googling but still can’t find a definite answer.

As far as I know there isn’t any way to tell the booster boxes apart, but are there any definitive differences on the packaging of the “error” Jungle booster packs? Also, does anyone have experience with opening jungle blisters and know what holo versions they contain? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

p.s. I am very much aware of the lack of quality of the Jungle error print run and the amount of risk in opening product in search of gradable cards. I don’t necessarily plan on actually opening any packs at the moment but I’ve recently purchased a bunch of sealed Jungle product and am curious to know what I’m holding if at all possible.

Is it my thread you are referring to?

www.elitefourum.com/t/1999-2000-jungle-booster-packs/14073/1

As far as I know there are three versions of the Unlimited Jungle Packs:

1: WOTC Logo: Rectangular Font: Thin - No Symbol Errors

2: WOTC Logo: Rectangular Font: Bold - Most common pack with regular cards

3: WOTC Logo: Curved Font: Bold - 1999-2000 print (Regular cards)

imgur.com/a/vXWPH

3 Likes

I have opened many of the No Symbol packs but only one box of Unlimited. The Unlimited packs I have were from a booster box while the No Symbols were loose, coming from large distributor cases of 400+ packs. I scanned the packs and here is my result along with observations I’ve made:

-The colors are different.
The tone is more natural on the unlimited while more saturated or a different white balance on the No Symbol. This makes sense because the Unlimited packs would have been produced later and they seem to be the ones that are corrected and better looking when you see them in real life.(Edit: I’ve heard many times since typing this post that No Symbols were released later in Jungle’s printing so take my input with a grain of salt.) I can verify from my 1st edition packs that the pack art matches the No Symbol besides having 1st Edition stamps.
-The font of “11 ADDITIONAL GAME CARDS” appears to be bold on the No Symbol packs.
-The pack seal is noticeably different with longer, more rectangular shaped ripples on the Unlimited.

-The bar code number is stretched horizontally on the Unlimited pack.
-The black, red, and green body of text is bold or bold-er on the No Symbol pack.

Here you can see under the flap and it is much more apparent that the thickness of the font is greater on the No Symbol pack.

I noticed no difference in the Wizards logo besides color between all versions of the pack besides 1999-2000 which I don’t have examples of but we know is a curved logo.

Let me know if I missed anything. This could help or perhaps confuse you even more since other people have reported differently. One thing is for certain, every No Symbol card I’ve pulled has come from packs like the one above.

10 Likes

Perfect. And yeah Martin it was your thread I was referring to. Thanks you guys much for the info, I knew and infographic for it had to be out there somewhere lol. And in regards to my question about blister packs it looks like there’s a variety of blisters both with the bold and thin fonts on the front. Thanks again this was very useful.

No problem. I made the info graphic just now. :grin:

Yeah there can definitely be packs with contents that don’t match what is supposed to be inside.

Guaranteed Tem?

@zap2 Well this is very interesting. From the information I have it’s the other way around, that the packs with the thin font contain no symbol cards!
I certainly have no actual proof for this, but my friend opened a box of those and pulled only No-Symbol Holo errors.
When I checked ebay the bold font also seemed to be the most common variant :blush:

I will try to talk about this with my friend and ask if he can give me some clarification as well :blush:

1 Like

Wow TIL, never even considered or pondered if it was possible to locate no symbols from the pack, well theres my daily knowledge gathering from the forums completed.
Thanks for this thread!

1 Like

It would make sense if the seal on that no symbol pack is something definitive as it may be an indicator of a lower quality print run. Also, I’ve been looking at loose packs around ebay for that jagged seal but haven’t seen one similar. There’s plenty of bold font packs but none that have that same non-rectangular seal shape. I’d imagine 1st ed packs would have more similarity to no symbol packs, but even all the 1st eds I’ve seen have the more rectangular seal based on the photos.

Very curious now. I have some different pack variants coming to me in the next week or so and will maybe try to open one of each.

My sampling size has been about one 6-box case worth of packs so I can’t guarantee anything but I can tell you with absolute certainty that every pack fresh No Symbol I’ve pulled/graded came from those packs. I have more sealed too :blush:
Maybe a video is needed.

Hey, do your no symbol packs have a short top flap? Or is it just folded back/cut off in the scan?

I cut it to open it.

Ok so to compile what I think I’ve learned based on what was discussed here and similar threads +
what I’ve seen in numerous pack openings on youtube…

3 Criteria for quick identification:

1. Copyright Date: 1999 vs. 1999-2000

2. Font Size of “11 Additional Game Cards” caption on front of pack: Thin vs. Bold font.

and if things get complicated:

1. Pack Seal Size/Shape: long, rectangular vs short, jagged

I want to be able to i.d. pack based on these criteria because they are easy to spot, objective differences.

I’m leaning toward these conclusions:

1. All packs which read “11 Additional Game Cards” in thin font contain corrected cards. I have seen the opening of these packs from varied sources: loose packs from boxes, off the hook “long” packs, and packs from blisters. If the pack had thin print on the front, the cards were corrected.

2. Any pack copyrighted 1999-2000 contains corrected cards. All 1999-2000 packs I’ve seen have bold font on the front which may lead to confusion because:

3. All packs with bold font “11 Additional Game Cards” contain error cards, except these c. 1999-2000 packs.

EDIT: Scratch that, I think I found video proof of bold font 1999 packs containing corrected holos, so I’ll have to resort to looking at more subtle differences to find a variant that guarantees errors, i.e. style of pack seal and font differences on the back of the pack.

Now, if someone finds a thin font pack with error cards inside, the whole theory is screwed and almost all packs become toss-ups. <<< still no sign of thin print errors, however.

For science, I opened a Jungle pack with:

• 1999 copyright date
  • “11 Additional Game Cards” written in bold- rectangular WOTC logo

Result… there was a corrected holo Pinsir inside :sob:
2 Likes

Thank you for the test !

1 Like

Not sure if this helps or males more difficult but I found that I have a no symbol electrode pulled when I was a child. What makes it confusing is that I’m Australian and have only bought packs from here.

Anybody know if they shipped them from the US to aus even though there was an australian manufacturer?