Jungle pack differences 1999-2000 help

Hey everyone, I’ve looked around and cant find much about this. I picked up some jungle packs and realized the ones with the KB toy stickers are a different variant I had never seen before.

The closest to them would be Belgium variant or red logo since they say 1999-2000 but they have the US nintendo logo but the curved WOTC logo. Please any help would be great!

This is pretty unusual!

As you noted, the Red Logo Jungle packs have a few markers that are different from the U.S. ones.

See below for the picture:

• Curved WoTC logo
  • No Nintendo logo
  • Black outline on the ISBN code box
  • No phone number after “Questions?”

It looks like your pack from KB Toys was printed with the typical Red Logo back but the U.S. front.

Has anyone else seen this before? Is it a late printing of Jungle? Perhaps a for-Australia printer was repurposed for the U.S. but only changed the Nintendo logo on the back and yellow ink on the front?

I have no clue.

Probably a wrapper produced specifically for K.B toys at a late stage of Jungle. They were the second biggest toy retailer in the U.S at the time and operated over 1.300 shops when this item was released, and we know that they had an intimate relationship with Pokemon/Wotc, giving out uncut Fossil holo sheets as competition prizes. Some more examples, there are a few on Facebook as well:

Pokemon TCG Jungle Empty Booster Packs Open No Cards Flareon Scyther Wigglytuff | eBay

Wizards of the Coast Pokémon TCG Fossil/Jungle Booster Packs 742818060714 | eBay

Wizards of the Coast 1999 Pokemon Jungle Booster Pack 742818061384 | eBay

It is also Interesting to note the various discounts.

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in, I had about 5-6 of these sealed at one point, now down to just 1 or 2.

From my research, I think a common source of these were the two pack base set and jungle blister:

These were also a common source of 1999-2000 made in USA Base Set Packs. Never seen a booster box of 1999-2000 jungle but I would think some exist.

6 Likes

As mentioned, there’s a few sources of the packs. Regardless of the outmost packaging, the 1999-2000 date and the curved WOTC symbol seems to be consistent. I’ve sold a few 1999-2000 Jungle boxes over the years with the most recent being opened by LootboxTV in 2020. I have one box left I’m planning to open in a few days.

4 Likes

The 5-digit product code contained within the UPC-A code tells the story of when the blister mentioned above was released.

76930 96186 LC Booster
76930 96187 LC Booster box
76930 96188 LC Blister
76930 96189 LC Theme Decks
76930 96190 (overwhelmingly likely to be LC theme deck case)
76930 96191 two-pack blister mentioned above
76930 96192 three-pack equivalent (Jungle, Gym Challenge, LC)

So either together with LC (may 24th 2002) or immediately after. The 2 and 3 pack blisters say made in U.S.A on the back (two times actually, one of them directly under the EU certification) and have the Pokemon League logo and information on the back. Likely a promotional overflow product I’d say.

Some of the K.B packs I’ve seen have dates stamped on the price tags like the one in the OP:

5/01 - $4.99 $1.99
1/03 - $4.99 $0.99
5/03 - $4.99 $0.99

If this is before 2003 (again, likely) then the K.B packs predates the blisters by a decent time interval. At any rate, super fascinating.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the input guys, I believed they were legit but I had never seen that combination of details on a jungle pack.

1 Like