Market fluctuation of a new set: Team Up

This is the first time that I am ahead of the game in knowing what I need upon the release of a new set. Most of what I collect are commons and promos and with the release of Team Up I find my self in need of a rare, super rare and hyper rare.

Eevee and snorlax 120/181 rare
Ebay:7.50
Troll & Toad:8.99
Eevee and snorlax 171/180 super rare
Ebay:11.95
Troll & Toad:13.49
Eevee and snorlax 191/180 hyper rare
Ebay:19.47
Troll & Toad:19.98

Are these prices normal for their given rarities? Do you anticipate these prices going up or down over time? I ask these questions in a hope to answer: should I buy now or wait?

How does the European market compare to the US market in the regard?

I’m pretty sure they’ll drop in price once the set is out for a bit. That’s usually the trend unless they become super playable and stay relevant. (See Ray GX) I’d personally wait for the price drop. I have no clue about the euro market though.

1 Like

Modern Pokemon cards do not fluctuate at all.

I’d say that about most Pokemon cards tbh. They either rise or fall in value gradually. There’s never really extreme movements except for something like Munch Mimikyu and even then to call that a fluctuation is a stretch.

There’s too much saturation and at the competitive side of the game it’s too linear and the playerbase too small to make cards fluctuate similar to how card price in yugioh or mtg behave.

You’re only talking about a few bucks. Why wait? The joy of ownership should make up for any possible future fluctuations in value.

1 Like

Alright. you’ve convinced me. Should be here in a week lol

3 Likes

I collect all ungraded mint secret rates in the sun and moon era.

Prices do usually drop to below $15 each secret rare card in mint ungraded condition.

However chase cards do see a sharp rise before they start gradually dipping to approx. $60; i.e. collectable ones like Charizard GX and playable ones like Tapu Lele GX and Rayquaza GX (which fits in both categories).

I tend to wait until a chase card drops to $60 and the others below $15. I’ve had no problems completing sun and moon secret rare sets yet.

1 Like

Also keep in mind that most of those are averages, there is not enough sales yet to see less fluctuations, it is just normal behavior when the set is just released :blush:

team up or tagbolt in japanese, is a nice set, some good / cool sr designs love the gengar obviously ^^

i think there is alot of hype surrounding this English release, with the nice staff cards also.

EU market; all Team Up GX’s are € 9,95 or lower, except Pikachu-Zekrom that’s about € 14,95 - 24,95. The Hyper Rare ones usually go for just € 10 more then the normal print. But I think this is due to the European players are less into flashing out their decks. Also in Europe it’s tournament legal to play all languages except the Asian ones, so when on a budget, you can go for e.g. Spanish or Italian variant to save a few €.

From a playability standpoint, the new team up charizard is probably the most useful card competitively in a long time. If it didnt have it’s own theme deck it would of been interesting to see how that would if effected its price.
m.ign.com/articles/2019/02/01/pokemon-releases-the-best-charizard-card-ever

As far as the cards you want, just go for it lol

1 Like

from the last few years, a set is only increasing in value from its original MSRP if it has an extremely popular card (Burning Shadows - Charizard) or a very playable card (Cynthia). Otherwise, all the sets, despite cool, new designs, stagnate in price, because of the massive print runs. japanese sets, it seems, control their print run a bit better.

Any information on the alternate art of the cards such as the gengar/mimikyus? I know some are due to be released in tins but I think it would be awesome if they started super short printing some set cards or simply designating some to only the pre-release packs.

I really liked the Team Up artwork and was hoping it would stay exclusive, then came to English and died O.o

The Gengar/Mimikyu alternate art is available in packs, no? There are a ton on the market. I do agree that we could use some super short print cards to liven up the “hunt” of the hobby, though- and not just in the form of rainbow rares… which don’t fit the bill in my opinion.

Yeah, the new artwork is beautiful but the print run in Pokemon is preventing the values from going up. Team Up is a great set - not sure about playability. I can’t wait for the Blastoise Secret Rare to be released in the next box in 2 months.

Does anyone know of a website that has numbers on EVs of each booster box opened like they do for Magic cards?

It wasn’t exclusive in Japan either tbh.

1 Like

Oh, well I hope Shiny GX does then at least.

The best thing about the Team Up set; it is Playable! Which means card hold/keep/gain value over time. On my cardmarket account I’ve been selling bulk commons from old S&M sets all of a sudden, because the cards got synergy with tech due to Team Up.