Best of XY prices, and future?

Hey, I bought a few of these boxes recently. They were 120 for 2, I’m debating opening one and keeping the other sealed.

What do you guys think is a good price, good investment wise and see for the future?

The main value I see in these cards are the full arts. However, do you think any will be printed in English? If so how will it affect the prices?

I’m just curious, It doesn’t really affect myself as I only had 2 boxes XD Just wanted to hear some opinions.

Also, usually the japanese boxes are printed then done. Anychance these will be re printed and pumped out again?

All can dictate prices due to supply

Go checkout a thread I started almost a week ago. I asked the same questions you did and it has a lot of good replies.

A new print could be done, as seen with CP6, although we are all hoping that doesn’t happen.

Opening product is always a gamble, where you are less likely to make money than you are to lose money. Especially in this set, where I don’t see much value in the regular EX cards which you pull about 7 of, you will do very well to get $25 for all the 7 ex cards. Breaks are not worth much, and other than the mirror foils, you bulk it out because you are low volume. With box prices at $70 now, you are basically needing a $50+ full art for it to be worth opening investment wise. There aren’t many FA you can pull that are worth it, right now probably just Fa N and Shaymin UR, Even yveltal has is down at 40 now. Also expect long term prices of boxes to increase faster than the cards in this set.

BUT if you never opened something to try and flip, this is a perfect learning opportunity for you, to see the amount of work that goes into it to see if you think its worth doing, and not much damage is done, as you have an extra box

Thank you for the response :blush: i understand what you mean.That is why I haven’t opened them as the money is only in a few cards.However I do see long term value for a sealed box. Nothing extreme but a positive return on my investment.
There is the opportunity to open one…gamble and hope for the N Shaymin or Yveltal but chances are it wont happen.
For now I will wait and see what happens, I do rather want to open one as I like the cards but probably cheaper to buy most rather than crack a box ha. £60 a box is a bit too much to just gamble it but we will see

The thing is, the money isn’t just in a few FA cards.

@kanagawacards can explain this far better than me, but these boxes (if bought for their retail price) can be opened for profit - I think.

When that happens, it means people are more inclined to open boxes, pushing the price of long term sealed boxes. I mean it probably won’t be a huge increase, but general trend of this set is just like CP4.

Saw myself mentioned in this thread by ozenigma, so thought I would comment.

Ozenigma is correct, this set, unless reprinted should follow CP4, though maybe not as high.

This set was made for the Japanese market, so while many of the cards are basically bulk to overseas collectors to stores here in Japan they are worth money. There is a lot of money in 108-161 in this set for guys in Japan, even after all the reprints a set of those is worth $1 or more per card, with some being woth $4-5 or more and some worthless. Then add in an EX and the UR or Full Art you might pull.

As supply gets absorbed there are so many cards that can go up just due to player demand, though these cards might still be bulk overeases. For example, about 1-1.5 years ago I was paying $10 US for Battle Compressors. It was reprinted and I was paying $5.50 up to February this year. Now due to another reprint I am paying $2. I expect in a few months I will be paying $3-5 again, assuming no more reprints/additions print runs :blush:

For overseas collectors opening boxes of this set is only good if you plan on going for the set, with or without the holos. Even just an EX or better set would probably be worth it depending on your cost. After that sealed boxes would be better to be kept sealed. Basically you have to pay so much for singles which should be C/UC (though this set is no rarity) that opening boxes makes a box worth a hell of a lot of money. If you only count the value of the holo or better cards the box value of a box become a lot more iffy.

For example I sell EX from this set for $4-5 for most of them. I did some deals for as low as $3 from some for some larger orders. If you really only value EX or better cards I would expect the average box to be $30 if unlucky and no Full Art or money EX to $50 if you get an average Full Art or a Shaymin EX, $70 if you get both. Of course you could hit the Jackpot and get $200 from a box as well without pulling multiple Full Arts.

I will say, if you want to get the set you should decide how you want to do it sooner than later as prices are probably at or close to their lowest point now, unless another wave/reprint happens. I know for some of the cheaper EX’s prices are rising.

If you even want to know anything about new Japanese card you can PM me or tag me in a thread and I am more than happy to offer whatever information I have.

2 Likes

Thank you that is very useful information, and I appreciate “If you even want to know anything about new Japanese card you can PM me or tag me in a thread and I am more than happy to offer whatever information I have.”

You may regret it aha ^.^ I am looking at Japanese unique promos, card releases and boxes, rather than the sets. Is there anyway I can find a release info site etc for Japanese uniques like the pokemon center Pikachu boxes, team rocket cases and so on? So I can get ahead of the game a bit instead of accidentally finding on ebay at a later date.

Regards

Greg

www.pokemon.co.jp/goods/?inc=gnav

Just have to check every so often. I would just use this : bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/SM-P_Promotional_cards_(TCG) and then look/ask where/when the promos are coming out.

I sell a fair amount of newer promos, so usually know about Japanese promos, even if it isn’t something I have in stock.

Thank you, I use bulba when I can but wondered if theres somewhere else aswell :blush: