Kris is working on some 2023 goals!

Hey! Thanks for looking :grin:

Figured this would be the best way to keep track of my 2022 collection goals and (hopefully) complete the majority of them.
First up, the goals!
2022 Goals
Finish Shining Fates Master Set (93/195 before promos)
Finish Celebrations Master Set (38/49 before promos)
Open more Hidden Fates
Get more ex era cards
Grab cool/fun Japanese exclusive promos
Pull Umbreon VMAX Alt Art *Stretch Goal

update one:
Iā€™ve been eyeing the Japan Post set for a bit and finally saw a price point on ebay I felt comfortable with ($150).
Still not entirely sure how Iā€™d like to display them but theyā€™re definitely statement pieces!

anyone else pick up this box?
until next time!

9 Likes

I just did the same a few days ago! Figure the promos themselves are on their way down too but might as well get the box. Good luck on the rest of your goals!

1 Like

Theyā€™re really such aesthetically pleasing cards, it was impossible to say no haha
Thanks, appreciate it :grin:

update two:
the rare back-to-back mail day!

Gen 3 holds a really special place in my heart so I figured where better to start my ex journey than EX Ruby & Sapphire.
Iā€™m not especially particular about the condition of these cards (Iā€™m mostly looking for LP but if I can find a NM/M, great!) so theyā€™ve been fun to shop around for.
Also, Iā€™ve tried to make the selection process interesting as well.
I went to Pokemon TCG Simulator (https://pokemonsim.com/ if you havenā€™t seen it yet) and opened 36 packs of EX R&S.The four ex cards I got were Hitmonchan, Magmar, Scyther, & Sneasel so those were the cards I started to hunt for.I figured it would just be a different way of figuring out what cards to pick up first.
EX Sandstorm will be next (probably next month) and fortunately, most of those ex cards are pretty affordable as well.However, itā€™s going to get interesting as I start moving on towards more pricey sets.
Iā€™ll probably have to transition from opening 36 packs to something else (maybe just grabbing the first one that pops up on Poke Sim? weā€™ll see).
Anyways, check out the EX R&S additions.

thanks for looking,
until next time!

7 Likes

update three:
More japanese promos!

One of the goals Iā€™ve established for this year was to start collecting japanese exclusive promo cards.
Japan really reigns supreme with promos and I feel the Pokemon Center stamped ones in particular are just so unique.
I was able to grab 002/S-P Shibuya Pikachu (possibly my favorite of this batch), 144/S-P Kanazawa Pikachu, & 407 SM-P Pretend Comedian Pikachu. Still trying to find a fun way to display these as I donā€™t necessarily have a setup for my japanese promos just yet.

Anyways, here are the pokemon center additions!

thanks for looking,
until next time!

8 Likes

Congrats on those promo additions to your collection! The graffiti-themed Shibuya Pikachu is one of my favorite cards of the past 5 years.

2 Likes

thanks! Itā€™s probably my favorite promo card, it just feels so unique. Also, will definitely hit you up if I ever need a middleman =]

update four:
Sometimes, youā€™ve just got to be patient.
When I saw Legends get announced, I was pretty intrigued at the new take on the series.I decided to hold off on pre-ordering in case any cool opportunities came up & I saw that overseas copies were shipping with this beautiful Arceus full art.

I looked over at Amazon Japan and saw that the game would just be $6 extra to ship to the states and I got this really great card to toss in with my other Japanese promos Iā€™ve been working on this year.

how are you liking legends arceus?
until next time!

update five:
Whew, Iā€™ve been busy!
Went over a full month without posting my latest pickups (the music industry is exhausting :sleeping: ).

I went back to purchasing some more ex series cards this March; something about that silver holo border just looks so elegant.
Continuing with my earlier ex cards, I went over to PokemonSim, selected Sandstorm as the next set I was looking to grab, & opened up a booster box worth of cards.

I find this random process really entertaining. Not knowing which cards Iā€™ll end up purchasing has itā€™s own thrill but itā€™s equally as fun to then try to hunt these cards in LP condition online to try to find the best deal possible.

what is your favorite ex set?

until next time!

11 Likes

I think that Raichu ex may be the best depiction of Raichu in the entire TCG. (Shhh donā€™t tell Baba Raichuā€¦) Excellent cards, excellent taste, S tier additions!

1 Like

1 Like

Hahaha donā€™t carried away @brendantheclayboy! I hinted that it may be the best depiction of Raichu, not my FAVORITE. Baba (and Tanaka) for life!

1 Like

absolutely agreed! Something about it just fits right & really highlights everything great about it. Thanks for the kind words!

1 Like

update six:
long time no chat!
had a few issues last month waiting for this card to come in via Japan Post but everything is a-okay now.

I was hunting for this Tea Party Pikachu for some time & I was so happy when it finally arrived. (Japan truly has the most fun & unique promo cards.) Also, the ā€œPokemon Centerā€ stamp might be my favorite stamp in all of PTCG, something about it just feels so iconic.

In other collecting news, Iā€™m nearly done with my Celebrations Master Set. Iā€™ve technically finished it but I want to grab all the cards with the anniversary stamp so I believe I just need the McDonaldā€™s cards (already grabbed the Burnett, GM Pikachu, and the cards from the UPC box). Hoping I can grab all those McDonaldā€™s holos at a reasonable price. Also, Iā€™m closing in on finishing up my Shining Fates Master Set (believe I have everything up to the electric or psychic type in the subset).

I was going to grab some more ex cards but I found a great deal on an authentic Chrono Trigger for the SNES & I had to pull the trigger on that.

Hope everyone is well!
until next time!

7 Likes

end of year update:

I thought a lot about posting smaller, more incremental, updates throughout the summer and fall but I figured an end of year wrap-up would be much more appropriate!

first off, my goals from earlier this year:

2022 Goals

Finish Shining Fates Master Set (100%)

Finish Celebrations Master Set (100%)

Open more Hidden Fates (a ton and I had horrible luck lol)

Get more ex era cards (Started strong here but prioritized master sets more)

Grab cool/fun Japanese exclusive promos (Big time!)

Pull Umbreon VMAX Alt Art Stretch Goal (oh wellā€¦ maybe next year?)

Iā€™m really glad I was able to stick to my two main goals and build up two really fun master sets. I feel like next year, I want to work on a new master set (preferably something older) and really lean into japanese exclusive promos.

That being said, what fun is an update without photos?

This past October, I did my first PSA submission.
I submitted some of the promos I previously posted here and a handful of my favorite pulls.

I didnā€™t really have nice expectations, hoping for some 9s mostly, as Iā€™m still learning how to really understand grading well.

Today, my cards arrived and Iā€™m absolutely ecstatic with my grades. After closer inspection, I totally missed something on the PSA 7 Shibuya Pikachu I should have noticed but everything else blew me away. Also, any tips for scanning slabs?

and finally, one more really neat promo before the year is over =]

hope the holidays are treating you well.

until next time!

11 Likes

2023 update one:

I really feel like I learned a lot about myself as a collector last year. The more time I spend collecting, the more I realize what I really want to hone in and itā€™s refreshing.

Last year, I was pretty focused on my goals but I had a bit too many of them.
I want to consolidate that down to three main avenues:

1. Focusing on one older/vintage english set
  2. Limiting myself to one/two boxes of new sets when they release
  3. Getting more japanese exclusive cards.

that being said, here are my 2023 goals.

2023 Goals
Master Set Team Rocket 1st Edition (31/83, luckily have Charizard already)
Collect Pokemon Center Opening + Pretend Pikachu promo cards
Open one/two booster boxes of each Scarlet/Violet english set
Grade 15 more cards (Stretch Goal)

and what good is an update post without a photo?

This is definitely the most money Iā€™ve spent on a single card but Iā€™ve just been enamored with it since I saw it announced. I truly love the silver borders on it and Iā€™m so glad that will be the new standard for english cards moving forward.

also, any advice for scanning PSA cards?

until next time!

9 Likes

hey all =/

looking for some advice here.

I picked up a sealed set of 145/S-P through 147/S-P to send out for grading.
All the pictures on the ebay listing looked great and it covered a good amount of angles.

However, when they arrived in the mail today, there is an incredibly visible horizontal print line across all three cards. They do not photograph well but it is pretty clear in person.

Itā€™s tough to see on the photos but the Sobble has the most clear visual of it.

Iā€™m pretty sure there is nothing I can do about it but I truly feel there is no way the seller didnā€™t notice this and it was absolutely omitted from the listing.

Has anyone had an experience like this or any could provide any advice? I was really excited to grab these cards and Iā€™m just gutted to see how they came in.

thanks for reading.

If these are print lines and not scratches, I wouldnā€™t be too upset as they arrived. I view reverse holos as very susceptible to surface issues, whether that be scratches or print lines. If something comes in with a totally clean front holo, thatā€™s a bonus.

If youā€™re looking for potential gem mint cards, Iā€™d recommend checking if the seller has a lot of other graded cards in their store. If they do, and they have a handful of raw cards for sale, itā€™s likely they arenā€™t gem mint, or they would have sent them in themselves.

2 Likes

2023 update two:

howdy! been a long time since my last post and I got some PSA returns in the mail since then =]

back on January 2nd, I picked this single up off of ebay (and it was definitely my largest single card purchased) and Iā€™m so happy it came back a 10. while the new PSA scans are a welcome addition, I definitely need to grab a scanner for this one as the colors really pop irl (also, any scanner tips/recommendations are appreciated!)

next up! I grabbed the pair of these yokohama promo cards (280 and 281) and received a 10 + 9! I really want complete this set in all 10s so Iā€™ll likely see if I can trade up my 281 to a 10 somehow. definitely a goal I want to achieve before the year is over!

lately, Iā€™ve been pre-ordering my pokemon games from japan via amazon (and the money came out near dead even on this transaction) to pick up the exclusive promos. this card is absolutely beautiful and Iā€™m thinking of grabbing a few more to grade for friends as gifts for the holidays. anyone else pick this one up?

finally, I sent off this older card in my collection from when I was younger and was so happy it came back a 9. definitely going to start going through my childhood binders and seeing what else I would like to preserve in a psa case.

anyways, thanks for looking! hoping youā€™re well.

until next time!

3 Likes

2023 update three:

had some eventful maildays lately.

iā€™ve been hunting for more pokemon center + japanese exclusive cards and picked up a handful.

1. celebration fanfare is just a lovely card & really adorable. big fan!

2. speaking of adorable, the poke center 20th anniversary card is equally as nice & I really like that
    pikachu + shaymin stamp (still shiny hunting shaymin atm as well)

3. playing in the sea pikachu was an easy call too. makes me want to keep going with more sports/sports-adjacent cards and grab the on the ball set next.

4. I previously had a shibuya pikachu that wasnā€™t a 10 so I wanted to upgrade it

5. finally, I really enjoy the rescue games and figured this would be a nice cap to end my shopping spree.

all in all, a rather eventful batch of packages. however, it has me itching to get a scanner to get consistent scans between the new PSA scans (which looked real dull, esp with celebration fanfare). maybe thatā€™ll be my next purchase?

anyways, always appreciate you looking!

until next time!

5 Likes