Japanese S&M Shining Legends shining pull rates vs. price

I have watched a couple of videos of people pulling open booster packs of the newest set for S&M Shining Legends.

It seems that you can pull a couple of shining cards in each of the booster boxes. These boxes contain 20 packs with 6 cards each and they go for about $35-$50 right now on eBay.

I was really looking forward to the shinings but it seems that they are going to be pretty high in pop because of how easy it is to get them. Also, since they are Japanese, I would imagine the PSA 10 pop is going to be very high. As of right now, these shinings ungraded go for about $15-$20. I think I might jump on some raw ungraded for my binder collection and thatā€™s it. They still look nice, but I donā€™t see much increase in value for investment, per se.

What do you guys think?

They are only going for around 6-$10 on yJ. Try to find them on there to get the best deal. :blush:

2 Likes

What is yJ? Could you provide a link?

Yahoo Japan.

Here is my favorite middle man site with the shining Rayquaza for an example

buyee.jp/item/search/query/ć²ć‹ć‚‹ćƒ¬ćƒƒć‚Æ悦悶?translationType=1

I think the fact they are so common is a real fail tbhā€¦ still looking forward to opening my boxes though.

4 Likes

I feel like we have this argument every time a nice card is attainable by everyone.

Everyone seems to want to make things a cash cow, instead of just enjoying things for what we like, being the art aspect of the card, rather than how expensive or rare an item is.

There are plenty of rare expensive cards to track down as it is.

12 Likes

I definitely know what you mean but I think it would have been a better move to make them 1 per box instead of 2. 2 seems like too much; I feel like they should at least be a LITTLE more special. Shiny Pokemon are supposed to be hard to find in the game, too. That kind of went out the window with Steam Siege putting them in the uncommon slot though. :sleeping:

However, the original Shinings had pull rates like this, at least in English. Every Neo Rev or Neo Destiny box Iā€™ve ever seen broken has had 2 or 3, maybe even 4 Shinings. They may be trying to emulate that.

1 Like

I love the new shinings. Thereā€™s something special about them reviving the old name with a very similar style that makes me feel like pulling one is something Iā€™ll always remember.

That being said, I honestly wish they were harder to get. I donā€™t want to expect two per box. ā€œShiningā€ Pokemon should be rare and they just arenā€™t. I feel like that lack of rarity diminishes them a bit. Mr. Clarkson sums up my thoughts fairly well.

Iā€™m not sure I follow your line of thinking regarding comparing a luxurious car brand to PokĆ©mon cards? Or the line of thinking regarding the comparison of car rarity?

If youā€™re saying that shiny PokĆ©mon should be rare, then why are Nintendo handing them out for free consistently?

The pull rates on these cards have double the rarity of a GX card.

Part of the chase is to attain something difficult.
I think thatā€™s the attraction of collecting. If I can collect everything super easily, I will give up on the hobby in a few years. Yes, they have nice art work, but if I donā€™t need to try at all, it loses its luster for me, and there would be no good story to tell.
To balance it out, you canā€™t make everything impossibly difficult to obtain, because people will quit out of frustration as well.
Thatā€™s my point. Whereā€™s the balance these days?!

There is balance though my friend!

If you want rarity and nothing but a chase, chase the cards with the highest rarity tiers.

Go buy a bunch of SM1/2/3 boxes and open them up until you get all the SR/HR/UR. Thatā€™s a chase you will not be disappointed with, because youā€™ll drop more cash into that than any other era chasing the ā€œchase cardsā€.

All mass produced products are super easy to obtain because we have such a large secondary market with enough demand to keep people opening the boxes.

The clear intention of this set seems to be rare but obtainable with a reasonable amount of spending.

Total time I said ā€œchase/ingā€: 6.

1 Like

spare a thought for the main demographic which are kids? When I was a kid one booster pack was all I could afford per 2 weeks. My allowance was around 1.5 USD a day.

I agree wholeheartedly with ozenigma.

Also, frankly, even if it was one card every 10 cases, it would likely cost a thousand or two, so I donā€™t see the chase in that either. Anything that comes out of a booster box today, released recently, is something money can easily buy.

3 Likes

I agree with this 100%. The cards look great and they will be affordable. Great to see something nice that everyone can have if they spend a bit of money and not making it so some people have to give up necessities to try to get them.

I donā€™t care what the value is, I will be getting a set in PSA 10 and a few extra to sell, even if they sit for a long time. I never mind holding extra inventory of stuff I like.

1 Like

Well I am more interested in the pull rate on the English set. Since they donā€™t come in a booster box hopefully they will be a bit harder to pull.

As Scott says ā€œIf you compare WotC with TPCI; you gonna have a bad timeā€

Yes, the old WotC Shinings are rare, hard to get and great art work. Packed by a company known (and hated) for their lottery cards; Wizards of the Coast. TPCI is not about lottery cards, not about collectables. Their prime interest is people that play the TCG. Because the more people playing, the more money.

One thing I am sure off; the English versions will be harder to get because theyā€™ll not be booster boxed.

When will the English versions be printed?

October as far as i know

Its going to be released like generation. Only in trainer boxes or other sealed product