It was real: Halloween Miniset announced: Trick or Trade

Stamped cards usually have the original copyright date. The Build-A-Bear stamped Snorlax from Flashfire for example still says ©2014, even though it was released in August 2019.

The Mimikyu from the Halloween set has ©2020 as well, including its original set symbol and number:

So although I agree with Scott that the stamp on that FA alt art doesn’t look very good, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s real… TCPi has never been really good at stamps, despite using them 24/7… (e.g. Reverse Holo stamps during the ex era sometimes cover parts of the art).

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

the black outline for the Pikachu logo seems to be thinner than the ones from the other cards and the editing it’s pretty bad, so if it’s real definitely someone got his Photoshop Expert title from a raffle

1 Like

I wonder if an Umbreon will be in the set. Seems like the dark/night/moon theme fits for Halloween.

2 Likes

You know the text in the corner of 1999 Tropical Wind that says “Tropical Mega Battle”? Something like that is what they should use to identify the set.

It’s even even bigger foul on the alt art because it doesn’t at ALL fit with the style of the rest of the card.

1 Like

The mimikyu was a nice choice! Also that build a bear snorlax has to be a record for initial release vs stamped release.

2 Likes

I know this is a promo to help kids discover the TCG and also pretty low cost for that reason (15$ for 40 booster packs if Im not wrong?) but how cool would it be if TPCi treat this as a Celebrations set with reprints from older sets that fits in the Halloween or spooky theme? I mean… how cool would this be?

They could release for the first time outside Japan even the Scream promos, or even better, do a Pikachu-cosplay card based on their official vampire Pikachu design. I mean, why not be a little creative? :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Man I thought those were real for a second! :ghost:

2 Likes

I knew they weren’t because moving the stamps around is already more effort than English pokemon is willing to put in

5 Likes

sorry for the mini heart attack :rofl:

1 Like

I had a mini heart attack with that Umbreon. That would have been hundreds of cards needing to be moved in the binder.

I am seeing packs being listed on ebay now, which means there are cards out in the wild. Has anyone seen more previews of what cards are in the set?

1 Like

Apparently this is the full set. Honestly, Pikachu and Cubone seems to be completely out of place between the rest of the cards (and the Pikachu artwork was reused also in the McDonalds promo…). But hey, Gengar line and yarn Zubat are pretty cool. It could be much, much better (why there are just a few holo cards?) but anyway, at least this will be a cheap set to collect.

8 Likes

I really feel it’s a wasted opportunity to not make every card holo, or at least reverse holo.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I am shocked there is not an Umbreon

3 Likes

the card selection aside of the typing (mostly ghost pokemon) it’s just lame. A few days ago I found some art they made for other Halloween promotions and… it’s on another level (and yes, even the pumpkin logo seems to be the same so this is basically a low-reprint set with no actual creativity behind it)

Imagine if they put that Pikachu Gengar, vampire, or witch into cards!

2 Likes

I will for sure be buying 2 of these sets, one to keep as a whole and the other to place throughout my set binders!

1 Like

Completely agree. It was a great opportunity. Maybe next year it will be better!

Pikachu because its pokemon and its gotta have it.

Cubone fits better than you think. For one, the story of the pokemon and its dying mother is pretty sad/grim and fits the Halloween theme. Oh, and its wearing its mother’s skull!

I said that when I picked Marowak for the Halloween set, but a Cubone fighting card it’s so random in this set, doesnt match the rest imo. At least they could pick another one and change it’s typing.

1 Like

It’s also crooked.

But I’m super excited about this idea, and even with all the reprints, and will pick up a few packs at least. =)