Is this for Real? #2 Trainer listed on Heritage

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/trading-cards/pokemon-toshiyuki-yamaguchi-no-2-trainer-1-1-world-summer-challenge-secret-super-battle-best-in-japan-cgc-trading-card-game/a/7328-36070.s

What do you mean by ā€œIs this for real?ā€

dang thats the most realistic looking sugimori art iā€™ve ever seen

3 Likes

@DYL. Just itā€™s amazing itā€™s up for auction after all this time.

1 Like

It is pretty amazing!

1 Like

Is owning a card with a photo of a random child on, more or less weird than collecting a waifu card?

20 Likes

@admiral . Might be , except that child is probably getting close to 40 now. Making it perhaps weirderā€¦collecting a random card of some thirty-something year old :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Not just any child, but a child that placed 2nd in a pokemon card tournamentā€¦ yeah, still weird but 1/1 piece of history nonetheless.

Would have been infinitely better if they got Ken Sugimori to illustrate the winners faces onto the cards. Obviously less convenient but the lazy photoshop is just lame.

2 Likes

Yo! Iā€™m mad we never got that growlithe pose on a card!

IDK dude. This is so perfectly ā€œ2000ā€ that Iā€™m actually really digging it. :joy:

1 Like

May someone tell me what it sold for? The site says it sold on July 7th, but I canā€™t see the price without an account.

Personally I think these are about the coolest of all trophies (minus the very first '97 Pikas maybe). It doesnā€™t get much more rare and mysterious in all of Pokemon. Iā€™d choose this one card over a 100 card stack of Mysterious Pearls, Master Scrolls and CGI Pika trophies any day of the week.

5 Likes

Sold on Jul 7, 2023 for $137,500.00 (including Buyerā€™s Premium)

5 Likes

Wouldve been better if it was another indistinguishable sugimori trainer face? Youre joking, right?

1 Like

In what world is cheap photoshop better than a personal Ken Sugimori portrait on an official 1/1 card? Are you joking?

What I think is always so funny about an item like this is that I guarantee most the bidders do not know who this kid is, canā€™t read the card, donā€™t know anything about the tournament and donā€™t know how to play the tcg.

Not that these are requirements at all. Itā€™s just funny that any ā€œhistoryā€ and ā€œsignificanceā€ of this card is 100% overshadowed by the fact itā€™s 1 of 1. Even the auction description is self-aware of this fact.

It reminds me of the Dr. Sameji autograph. Most people that own one couldnā€™t name a single thing heā€™s done in Pokemon. But cool shark + slightly hard to find makes it approximately as valuable as an Obama autograph apparently

7 Likes

Imo, the photo is the way to go. It captures the time in space like nothing else. I love ken, hes my favorite artist by a mile, but his trainer art of that time didnt capture the expressions a photograph can.

Im sure his drawing wouldve looked good, but what happens if the drawing looked nothing like the actual person? Not only that, but a photo can transport you back in time to revel in the moment, and for those who werent there the photo still snaps you back to the 90ā€™s to a greater effect than a drawing.

Overall, photo imo

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always thought the cards with pictures of people are weird as hell. Glad Iā€™m not the only one.

1 Like

so, every single sports card ever made?
:wink:

3 Likes

Thats a really good point, too each their own. I still prefer full Ken art personally but I can see a winner wanting their actual face on a card.

2 Likes

Haha touchĆ©. Yā€™all know what I mean :joy:

1 Like

I think thatā€™s a slippery slope. Most trophy cardsā€™ values arenā€™t actually 100% derived from their ā€œhistory and significanceā€. Theyā€™re trophies for winning a certain competition and thatā€™s basically it for the most part.

Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but, for example, was the '98 championships that much different from the first one in ā€˜97? What is itā€™s historical significance other than being a trophy card thatā€™s not from the first tournament and not even being a ā€œTropicalā€ or ā€œSuper Secretā€ Mega Battle? At least the trophies with the winnersā€™ faces are one-of-a-kind, thatā€™s more than most trophies have going for them imho.

Iā€™m being intentionally provocative here, but you get my point.

1 Like