Is this for Real? #2 Trainer listed on Heritage

I would say that very few trophy cards are valued significantly because of history. It’s almost entirely rarity and the history is a bonus.

But I think, for example, you don’t really need to know much about the parent-child tournament to look at the trophy kang and think it is neat or to appreciate the unique kangaskhan art.

This card takes this to another level though. The art is a literal child. What is being appreciated here if not this unknown child winning an unknown tournament for a game you don’t know how to play (“you” being a bidder and also me making an assumption here about who is bidding).

I’m not saying that one cannot appreciate the card or that the price is wrong, just pointing out the difference between players and collectors and the irony between what the card was awarded for and why it’s desirable on the secondary market. It would be like buying a superbowl ring but not knowing the player, the team or even the rules of the game

1 Like

Sounds sustainable to me

I agree, but I want to emphasize your own point that, with veeery few exceptions, most rare cards are actually desirable simply because they’re rare, and not because of history. Therefore, with this category of cards (trophies with faces) being the dead-ass kings of their category of rare cards, a lack of appreciation for their history is not a valid argument to discredit them (which you most certainly didn’t, I just cared about semantics). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooooh, so I THOUGHT this was Ken Sugimori on the card… Didn’t read all the posts. That would make the context a bit different, and I’m also kinda falling out right now!
:rofl:

1 Like