Never Before Seen No. 2 World Challenge TMB Trainer Card!

So at this moment as I am typing this, there is a Live Pokemon Show going on and it’s got Twitter crazy.

This show showcase 31 cards from a Japanese collector/player I think and there is a ‘value appraisal team’ on a panel to appraise those 31 cards.

This collector has 4 Parent/Child Kangaskhan and it’s been appraised at 1.2mil yen each which is what is causing this craze on Twitter.

Many still can’t believe that price however this thread is about a no. 2 Trainer that was won by this collector in the 2000 World Challenge TMB (printed on the lower right of the card).

Here are some pics of the collection and appraised value.

I don’t agree with some of the values that were appraised especially the no. 2 Trainer at 150,000yen and the no. 1 Trainer at 100,000 yen. I know it should be higher considering it is a card that has never been seen before and boast a holographic Battle Road artwork but we can’t really put a value on some of the cards here.

Also one thing to note is that all these cards that were appraised are ungraded. I think the team assumed a certain condition for each card but I may be wrong and they just appraised based on raw value, regardless of condition (as long as there isn’t a dogbite).

I am always excited and get a heart-racing reaction when I see rare cards I have never seen before. Who knows what other never-before-seen cards are still in collections.

Edit : Put the appraised value of the No.2 at 1.5mil yen but they actually appraised it at 150,000yen.

29 Likes

Nice!

I wonder if any Japanese citizens have seen that before. Maybe like kei?

thats insane

1 Like

What are the other cards in the pictures? Sorry I’m not very educated in them… but would enjoy knowing what else is there, if you could let me know!

Mjisaacs

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Victory_Ring_(Battle_Road_promo)
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Eevee_(Wizards_Promo_11)
(fan club one)

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Porygon_(Fan_Club_promo)

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kangaskhan_(Parent/Child_Tournament_promo)

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Victory_Orb_(Battle_Road_promo)

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lucky_Stadium_(Neo_Destiny_100)
(Tropical Mega Battle print)

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trainer_Certification_Card_(Fan_Club_promo)

Here’s just a bunch of links if you want to read more about any in particular

5 Likes

1998 Trophy Kangaskhan x 4

1999 TMB Grand Party x 4

2000 Fan Club Eevee x 3

2000 Fan Club Porygon x 5

2000 Lucky Stadiums x 9 (9 different regions)

2000 SSB No. 1 Trainer X 1

2000.8.26 TMB No. 2 Trainer x 1 (never seen this one before)

The date on the card is exactly 1 week after the “Secret Super Battle: Pokémon Center Tokyo, Tokyo on August 19, 2000.”
This would have given them plenty of time to personalize this trophy card with a photo of the winner (or winners?).

The date is identical to the “Tropical Mega Battle in Japan: Pokémon Center Tokyo, Tokyo on August 26, 2000.”

So they designed the card after the SSB and handed them out a week later at the TMB in Hawaii?

2001 Shining Charizard x 1

2002 Crystal Charizard x 1

2003/2004 Battle Road Victory Orb x 1

2003/2004 Spring Battle Road Victory Orb x 1

3 Likes

Actually the No.1 Trainer is the World Challenge SSB print as it shares the same description with the No.2 Trainer. The No.1 is the regional print while the No.2 is the national print as mentioned on the top right hand side of the card where it mentions the location of the event.

The No.1 location mentioned Tohoku while the No.2 location just mentioned ‘Japan Finals’. So I speculate that all Champions from each region faced each other off in the Japan finals that year which awarded the holofoil Trainer card, which makes sense as the holofoil gives it a premium, more exclusive feel, also making each holofoil print only one in the world for each placing, regardless of the unique photo and name of the winner.

EDIT : SSB should have been TMB.

1 Like

OKAY I was wrong. The No.2 Trainer was awarded in the World Challenge Tropical Mega Battle National finals on 26/8/2000. The date is the same as the one on Bulbapedia.

THIS IS A TMB TROPHY CARD.

1 Like

The Japanese are superior. I like how they get exclusive and awesome things only for themselves and pass on the watered down versions to us. I don’t blame them they are the creators. Yeah you might have an English charizard but do you have your actual photo printed on a card? No.

Right you are, I edited my post. So do you think there are 3 different kids in a trophy card ranging Trainer No. 1-3 or rather one and the same kid for all 3 Trophy cards Trainer No. 1-3?

To recap.

2000.8.26 TMB No. 2 Trainer x 1

The date on the card is exactly 1 week after the “Secret Super Battle: Pokémon Center Tokyo, Tokyo on August 19, 2000.”

This would have given them plenty of time to personalize this trophy card with a photo of the winner (or winners?).

The date is identical to the “Tropical Mega Battle in Japan: Pokémon Center Tokyo, Tokyo on August 26, 2000.”

So they designed the card after the SSB and handed them out a week later at the TMB in Hawaii?

Yeah the literal number 1/2/3 of the tournament have their photos and names printed directly on the card so that makes them only one in the world.

The Hawaii TMB in 2000 did not have any trophy cards awarded. Only the 9th Lucky Stadium was given to participants that year.

The No. 2 Trainer was awarded at the World Challenge TMB held in Japan. The lower right of the card states ‘Tropical Mega Battle Japan’s Final Match 2000.8.26’.

We have not seen the Trophy cards awarded in the WC SSB Japan Final’s yet.

1 Like

Damn :open_mouth:

Was their pricing more appropriate for the Japanese market?

it’d be so much cooler without the kid on it

4 Likes

Agree! The Lugia and Ho-oh trophies with the photos would also look amazing without the human faces :confused:

2 Likes

Most are fair but the prices for the Numbered Trainers are too low. A few Japanese tweets are saying they would pay more 2-3 times the appraised price for the Numbered Trainers.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. Awesome read.

1 Like

what a time to be alive

4 Likes