Distinguishing Trainer Magazine and Tropical Mega Battle Bilingual Exeggutor

The 1999 Tropical Mega Battle Bilingual Exeggutor

Hey everyone! I had the opportunity a couple months ago to add this card to my collection directly from a winner and it really has everything going for it.

Best artist, first American/English Trophy card, first Bilingual card and a great backstory with players from the US and Japan meeting in Hawaii :grin:

@raichuforyou compiled an informational thread a couple years ago in case you need more backstory: The 1999 Tropical Mega Battle Bilingual Exeggutor

The Discovery

While there were 36 copies of the trophy card released, many more were printed in the Trainer’s Magazine Volume 3 later that year and it’s traditionally been accepted that the only difference is the coloring & gloss however this isn’t the case. There is actually a surefire way to tell from an image if its a TMB or Trainer Magazine Exeggutor.

I noticed the first day I had the card in hand and I’ve confirmed it with a scan and looking through as many images as I could find that the Dr. Ooyama in the bottom right corner is different on each version.

Take a good look at Dr. Ooyama in these scans

How about now, see the tie difference?

Looking at other known copies that were acquired directly from winners show the same “extended tie”

@KEI @swolepoke

@linkdu83 , TMB on the right!

A Japanese collector on Twitter

Pkonno copy

Hope this was as interesting for you to learn as it was exciting for me to discover! If anyone else has more information/knows more people with a copy, I’d love to hear from them.

32 Likes

Participation Card**

Trophy implies they won something to get it. This was given to all the competitors of the TMB, win or lose. The TMB No.1/2/3 were the trophy card of the event.

First English trophy wouldn’t be until 2002/03 with the NO.1/2/3

Edit: A group photo of all the competitors what was posted here many years ago shows there were about 50ish players. So the number would probably be closer to that amount.

4 Likes

This thread isn’t about whether its a trophy or just a prize card, its about finally knowing how to differentiate the rare and common print.

Fwiw, the top players from Japan and the US competed in this, so you had to “win” top events in your region to even get in. In a sense the TMB Japan event was the qualification to even get to the Hawaii TMB :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

I don’t disagree with your strict definition but it also feels wrong to call it a participation card. The TMB final tournament in Hawaii was invite-only and was only a tiny pool (50ish like you said) of the best players in the world. I can see the perspective that only numbered trainers should be trophies, but in a way attending the event was trophy-worthy in itself if that makes sense.

I already said it on discord yesterday man but I just wanted to reiterate how awesome of a collection piece this is. The personalized story is just incredible.

3 Likes

@swolepoke in the truest sense of the word trophy then only no. 1’s are trophies because everyone else actually lost to get theirs. Well I guess 3rd place lost then won.

6 Likes

Congratulations casual, an amazing piece and a great find! I always found it hard to distinguish with front images only.

Awesome write-up and observation about the tie. Lovely letter from the winner.

As for the definition of “trophy” card, this category has always been loosely applied and basically come to mean “rare prize card” in the hobby, and to advocate for a new term like “participation” card for this doesn’t really make sense.

By that standard, cards like Family Event Kangaskan and Unikarp are primarily “successful participation” cards, as they only required winning a few games and not actually reaching 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place.

Attending this tournament required winning entrance first, as the winner described. “Prize card” has always been confusing in Pokemon due to the use of “prize cards” in the TCG gameplay.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s really tough to tell within a graded case and on online auctions. I expected to find nothing as I compared my cards, so I was pretty surprised there actually was a difference.

@nine especially shares so many interesting finds, felt I had to contribute to E4’s knowledgebase

2 Likes

From what I can find from trawling through old Pokémon Japan articles: the 1999 event had 36 participants; the 2000 event had 42; the 2001 event had 23; then finally the 2002 event had 13. I wonder if the 50 people in the photo also included siblings of the participants who would have been at the venue along with their parents?

2 Likes

Awesome!
Nice discovery concerning the tie, I knew that the text was a little bit blurry on the TMB version, but I didn’t notice that the tie appears to be longer due to this blurry effect.

I also got some nice words from the original player when I purchased the card from her (+ I asked her to sign me a card) :heart_eyes:

By the way I aggree on the fact this is not a trophy card, this is a participation/prize card instead, like the badly named “trophy” Kangashkan or the Unikarp.

9 Likes

I have this picture on my phone, the quality is quite bad and it is difficult to cleary distinguish kids and adults, but I count a maximum of 40 kids:

4 Likes

Yeah I do think the TMB has the correct drawing actually because if you look at the Evolutions/CP6 it has the full tie! Seems that for whatever reason it was sliced so the bottom of Dr.Ooyama is completely flat in Mag version.

To my knowledge, there were 23 Japanese children. There are 9 winners in each tournament, 7 people who won the lottery, and 7 brothers.

4 Likes

Glad to see you dropping more knowledge here! From the American side it looks like top 12 players in the US were invited ages 11-14. So 35 total players invited to 1999 TMB Hawaii Finals makes sense.

www.elitefourum.com/t/wotc-chat-logs-from-feb-2000-to-nov-2000-q-a-w-employees/16872/1

2 Likes

Hey,
maybe this is a stupid question, but Unique Username is usually good informed. Would someone tell me, what version is on the left side of this post?
ThanksCracker

checked myself and this was such an astute observation awesome

Clearly the images were indeed edited differently, and in the evolutions version you can see the entire image extending below where both were cut

4 Likes

Hey all I was lucky enough to attend the 1999 Tropical Mega Battle as a lottery winner, they told my parents that they picked one from the winners and one from the losers bracket of the tournament I went to in San Francisco. I was about a month away from my ninth birthday when the event happened so my memory is pretty fuzzy apart from it being crazy exciting.

There were two competitions, one were the US / Japanese children competed amongst themselves and another where the two countries faced off against each other. I remember getting a few wins against the other US kids but I got absolutely trounced by the ones from Japan. I distinctly remember getting picked apart by a hitmonlee and thinking it was super unfair that they got to use cards I hadn’t seen before and couldn’t read. I kept doing local competitions for a while but I was really too young to enjoy the competitive side of the game, my decks were usually built with cool factor top of mind.

I drifted away from Pokemon once I hit middle school and Yugioh was the game to play and hadn’t really thought of the card in ages until I was regretting selling the bulk of my collection as a teenager with this most recent round of social media hype.

I’ve uploaded an album with my card pics and what memorabilia I have left over from the tournament here (I’m on the left in the pic): imgur.com/gallery/MezL5Ho

15 Likes

@jjhydro Amazing! Your image link is broken, can you post it again?

ah oops think I got it to work and embedded a couple pics

Beautiful Exeggutor, glad you kept it! And love the picture :grin:

Do you remember anything about the number of people at the event? Its always been expected at around 36 players but contested!