Is there anything you would like to see TPCI/TPC bring back?

What I mean is there anything that used to be in the tcg be it the 1st edition stamp, ex cards, an old foil pattern, etc. that you would like to see brought back. Personally I’d like to see them bring back box toppers. I never experienced them myself, but it would be really cool to get a cool looking card be it a V or not that you can get only from booster boxes. Another thing I would like back is the silver border of old school exs, Lv. Xs, and so on. I was and still am a sucker for these so I’d love to have them back. What you do want brought back? Let me know, I would love to hear it :grin:

3 Likes

I’d buy so many packs if there was a new Gym/Elite 4 set like Heroes/Challenge/VS

7 Likes

Oh man same! Those are some of my favorite sets to see!

1 Like

Creativity.

19 Likes

Lenticular cards & giving other Pokemon some spotlight than Charizord.

4 Likes

The same 5ban Charizord artwork in three different color schemes isn’t creative enough for you? Heretic!

For real though, more ‘real art’ references like the Scream promos would be awesome. That would be likely rather a thing for TPC than TPCi, though.
More Tag Team cards would also be nice.
Edit: Even better would be a mini set of only Sugimori art in his original 1996-2000 watercolor style featuring some of the original 151 Pokemon!!

8 Likes

I really just meant those making and distributing the cards in general so regular TPC works too. I would love seeing more watercolor Sugimori art. Its some of my favorite! Maybe even some watercolor artworks for newer Pokémon, that’d be amazing!

2 Likes

1st editions, non charizard themed sets

7 Likes
  • Reintroduce the Galaxy foil

• Higher percentage of good illustrations

• Better cardstock

• Increase their prices so they can actually do the aforementioned things

• Fix their broken distribution system

• Reduce the amount of hyper rares

• Discontinue V and V max

• Discontinue every sealed item except booster boxes, booster/blister packs and theme decks

• Incite shop-owners to introduce an age-based discount on booster packs (30% off on weekends for kids under 16 for example) and take measures to make sure that such a system can’t be abused (i.e limitations on packs, no online purchases etc)

• Make sure the kids buying a few packs on the weekends have access to every new product released

8 Likes

Half the amount of cards in the sets.

9 Likes

I think quality art on the chase cards is something that I miss the most from previous eras. Back when holos were the chase cards, it was easy to get a mix of rarity and quality art. Now, it seems like they’ve kind of separated the two, the regular art cards still have some stunning art but the chase cards (rainbows, gold, etc.) are quite lacking in that regard. Like honestly, the Charizard vmax and the Charizard from flashfire are pretty much identical to me in terms of artistic style.

In hindsight, I thought we were getting something different with the release of Cosmic Eclipse and all the secret rare full arts in it. That plus the alternate arts of the tag teams seemed to suggest that we might be getting more of them. I’m not knocking rainbow rares or gold cards, I happen to like some of them, but it’s just largely unoriginal in terms of visual appeal. If you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all. That, plus the fact that rainbows don’t even offer a new art, it’s literally just a parallel of the regular card.

I’ve already mentioned my love of the gym/team rocket sets elsewhere so I’ll mention it here again. Some of the best sets were the ones with the gym leaders/team rocket, I think they’d sell like hot cakes if they did it again, especially in the full art style.

2 Likes

I definitely agree with the If you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all thought on RR. I never really enjoyed them too too much because they take away from the color of the Pokémon.

You’re not alone it the thought of wanting ____'s Pokémon back. That would be amazing. I don’t think we’ve seen them since gen 4 Supreme Victors if IIRC. so at least a decade now. I would love to have them back!

1 Like

The art is generally too polished, clean, and soulless. I say give the artists some old rusty desktops with dial-up internet and whatever art tech they had back in 2000 and see what they can drum up:)

1 Like

Unique art for each card. That’s all I ask! They need to stop making a million versions of the same card

2 Likes

i want a topps chrome set with numbered parallels

-Bring the galaxy holofoil back! It looks great on promos, why not use it in sets?
-Better card stock
-More creative reserve holo cards. Bring back the cool stamped reverse holos from the EX era.
-A larger variety of art when it comes to the different rarity levels.
-More dual type or delta species Pokemon. This could be a lot of fun, and there are so many possibilities
-Please you don’t need to reprint base Charizard for the 25th anniversary. He’s been reprinted so many times. Don’t do it. Or, do it in a more creative way like DP Stormfront.

2 Likes

@pokesoap, New delta species would give me life.

2 Likes

Smaller sets and fewer rarities would be nice. Simple and succinct. Same goes for the packaging. I wish they’d take a page from Japan and consider a more compact design for some of their products, the premium collection boxes especially. The amount of plastic/cardboard in them is so overkill and unnecessary. It’s actually a chore to dispose of lol.

1 Like

I would love to see a return of something like gold stars. Something that was a good chase card for collectors that had interesting unique art and not just another gold version. Also I agree that smaller sets would be good. Nobody wants to do complete sets when they are 470 cards big. They can still have the rarity. 100 cards in the set or less but new gold star like cards are only one in every 2-3 boxes. Done.

• Cosmos holo & cracked ice holo (FRLG Legendary bird style)

• Sparkly borders for ultra rares (eg Lv x style)

• Sets under 151 cards

• Alternate / unique art for secret rares over coloration or holo change

• Limit use of 3D software for full arts. The new Blastoise and Venusaur V promo mini decks are soulless over saturated cards almost indistinguishable from prior prints. They have no distinct personality.

3D designed cards from the old back era were noticeably different and neat at the time (think Magnemite / Magneton, Clefairy Doll from base set by underrated artist Keiji Kinebuchi). Oddly enough, advancements in software technology beyond a reliance on simple 3D shapes like spheres led to a DECREASE in creativity.

• Chase cards like gold stars in a way that can’t be mapped per case. Everyone loves low pull rate ultra rares until they realize cases can be mapped to sell only boxes with no chance at the ultra rare. The current rarity system makes cards like Pikachu Rainbow Rare have a low pull rate solely due to the overwhelming quantity of different rainbow rares limiting the chance at a specific card; not a fan.

• Delta species and dual types

Some recent changes I’ve enjoyed so this thread isn’t all sour grapes:

• Tag Team cards are awesome and many full art designs such as Dream League are unparalleled

• Advancements in texture and card stock do make plenty of the ultra rares such as gold and rainbow glitter look phenomenal.

• The art on many modern un/commons is fantastic IMO and better done than plenty of ex Era cards and dare I say some WOTC. That’s why it’s so bizarre the ultra rares are particularly bad when plenty of effort is given to un/commons. The few recent Chansey commons are phenomenal, two of my favorites ever.

General change not so much as a bring back:

• It’s been nearly 25 years of card creation and it’s still night and day to go from handling modern English card stock vs Japanese new back. Obviously the scale and price logistics play a role but it’s embarrassing how low quality printing and sheet cutting continues to be. I would like to see the card stock completely redeveloped for English cards.
1 Like