Is signature order important for Japanese autos?

Note: this thread is split off from a discussion that happened here: Autograph Forging and Photoshopping Provenance - Antonio Moscato aka Venustoise aka Shiny_Hunter23

Just watchout. That kanji could be just be a Japanese national with bad hand writhing. Shodo experts may think it looks horrible, but the average Japanese national may think that is a japanese actually handwriting.

Japanese nationals can usually tell a foreigner writing in japanese. BEST YOU all ask a Japanese national without context or back story. Most likely they will tell you that is a Japanese writing it.

Stroke order is very important in Shodo or traditional writhing. But like USA younger generation that cannot even write cursive. It is just bad handwriting.

I also believe it is FAKE, but just be cautious when dealing with NON JAPANESE videos trying to explain JAPANESE things. Not only Pokemon, everything and anything Japanese.

1 Like

Noone in Japan will think this is a national’s handwriting - it wouldn’t pass as bad handwriting. It shows a complete lack of understanding of how the writing system works. The person would have to be illiterate, even then a national would’ve seen enough kanji to understand to a greater degree how the strokes ought to look. As someone who has grown up with kanji (Japanese resident, N1, Japanese / Chinese fluency), I’ve seen my share of bad handwriting from my classmates back in school, they might be scruffy, but there exists principles and everything is flouted in these examples. Some of the katakana aren’t even real, they appear to be random shapes.

8 Likes

I’ve also studied Japanese here in the US and you can make kanji look right in general with the wrong stroke order, but you can almost always tell it’s the wrong stroke order.

Things don’t look right. Even if you don’t follow it properly similar to how kids write letters differently, kanji is too complex and uniformed for you to NOT see abnormalities.

1 Like

No matter what it could be these are pokemon artists signing their names, not any kinds of youngsters with potential bad hand writing

2 Likes

Stroke order is also important in non-Japanese autographs. The order isn’t necessarily based on what is official, more important is to compare against what the signer has done in the past

2 Likes

Two Japanese nationals in my family said it could be a Japanese nationals bad handwriting . Everyone is looking at the back story first , of course you have a influenced opinion.

Next, many here seem to know about Japanese calligraphy, So you also know there are different levels of Japanese calligraphy like in martial arts kyu/dan etc. An immediate family member has taught Japanese Calligraphy , She said that not all Japanese people know the correct strokes, Family members in our household enjoy watching non japanese youtube influencers talk about Japan cause they always find fun views of Japanese. Many non japanese will think what these non japanese influencers say as truth, but in reality they are just mistakes or lost in translation.

Again, I think that signature is fake, but just wanted to post about the reason was wrong. Stroke order is not always the final absolute reason.

In the case of Ken Sugimori, and almost every Japanese Pokemon Artist I’ve seen, the stroke order IS an absolute.

The stroke order for their kanji has been a consistent factor since day one. From some of Sugimor’s earliest autographs in the early 2000s, to modern example, he has always written his name in the same stroke order.

I’ve seen the same with Arita, Harada, Akabane, etc

Maybe it’s like you said, where it’s children who aren’t always going to be consistent with cursive, but as an adult, once you have your signature and it’s become ingrained in you for over a long period of time, I don’t see how or why it would ever deviate, even if being lazy.

7 Likes

Stroke order is simply one of many things off about it.

1 Like

of course. But the video making a statement that stroke order is the absolute truth to finding a non japanese writing . it is not.

Next, to my eyes, there are many nice Japanese Calligraphy on ebay . Family members look at it for a split second and say “that is a foreigner doing it” To me , they are beautiful. The family members are not saying they are bad, they are just not a Japanese artist.

Maybe the videos should state that in this case of a personal signature, the artist has never changed stroke,etc etc…

The blanket statements make it seem that all Japanese write perfect so any japanese writing with wrong strokes is a non Japanese.

Just wanted to post about a Japanese nationals view of the video. No back story to fog the opinion.

again, of course those sigs are fake.

What video?

1 Like

on youtube, that is how i found this thread

Probably Rattle

1 Like

I mean this in the most constructive and positive way possible but the video is entirely missing from the context of this conversation

I’m guessing it’s this one?

Perhaps it would be beneficial to write a comment on the video itself

4 Likes

Serious question.

Do any of you members have two signatures? Public and private?

Have anyone here signed hundreds if not thousands of autographs in one sitting?

For me , i have two signatures. One is my private sig, the second is a public sig. My public sig is more art . BUT i can absolutely tell you the signature changes and after signing many signatures in a sitting. Some times i miss a stroke so at the stroke after finishing.

Give yourself a test. sit down and sign your signature a few hundred times in 30 minutes. You will miss strokes and at them after you sign that particular sig.

Honestly try it. now do this a few days in a row. It gets sickening, sloppy and different.

This is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. Part of the reason Pokemon signatures are so valuable is that artists have never done thousands of signatures at once. The most we have ever seen are maybe 300-400 autos over the course of an entire weekend at the Overload signings or Arita events. And the signatures at the start of the event look no different than the ones at the end. I don’t know what the point you’re trying to make here is.

4 Likes

have you dont public autographing sessions?

I can tell you by experience. Travel , time zones, food , venue, country makes a big difference in a persons signature.

If anyone thinks a signature is perfect everytime, That would be bad, a autopen can duplicate the autograph perfect.

I will leave this thread, everyone has their opinions and thoughts set in stone.

The signature is fake, but the reasons are not perfect like many are saying. Back to packing my shipments. Good reading here.

The point that there is variance in autographs is valid. Its just about understanding those variances. We could get into the weeds about how Arita really took a lot of time years ago compared to today, but its a subtle variance.

Pokemon artists tend to be pretty consistent compared to athletes or celebs. Mainly because the signing sessions are so regulated, pretty much all the same, tabletop and taking their time. Where you can get some random athlete or celebrity signing something on the street that would vary from a sit down signing event.

3 Likes

My signature is my signature lol Whether I’m signing a check, a birthday card, or the form I just signed now for dropping off my car for new brakes, I always write my signature in the same pen strokes.

Sure there are times when I’m sloppy or it’s rushed, but the way I write my name and the pen stroke order I do it in, never changes. I’m not going to all of a sudden start bottom to top, or right to left, when that’s not what comes naturally to me.

My name starts with the letter “J”. I will always write it top to bottom, always. Every native writting English speaking person does. To claim that there could be a variant of my signature out there, where I was too lazy or too sloppy to start top to bottom with the “J”, wouldn’t ever happen.

Write the letter J | Alphabet Writing lesson for children | The Singing Walrus on Make a GIF

How we write and our pen strokes we write with are ingrained in us. We can be lazy or sloppy at times, but that doesn’t mean we change that up as a result of it. Whether you write your signature as clean as possible or as sloppy as possible, you always write in the same stroke order.

6 Likes

@fourthstartcg feel free to lock this thread at any time. The purpose of it wasn’t about the autograph, which is an obvious fake, but about the photoshopped image. This is going off track lol.

2 Likes

Moved this to a new thread to continue the conversation if people like!

1 Like