Heads up: Very probable fake graded signatures

www.ebay.com/usr/mmeccafork?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

This seller listed a “Sugimori” signed card and a bunch of “Arita” signed cards graded by PSA. The Sugimori looks extremely off and the Aritas looks like they were done by someone that doesn’t know anything about Japanese characters

Sugimori cert 45224882
www.ebay.com/itm/Ken-Sugimori-Autographed-Holo-Scyther-1999-Jungle-PSA-Authentic-1-Population/124183883310?hash=item1ce9efae2e:g:UsMAAOSwDSpeuacThttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Ken-Sugimori-Autographed-Holo-Scyther-1999-Jungle-PSA-Authentic-1-Population/124183883310?hash=item1ce9efae2e:g:UsMAAOSwDSpeuacT

here’s probably the worst offending arita, cert 45224881
www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsuhiro-Arita-Autographed-2001-Pryce-s-Piloswine-PSA-Auth-Mint-1-Population/124183878758?hash=item1ce9ef9c66:g:U-UAAOSwXaZeuaW4

here are the other certs for future reference:fossil cosmos holo zapdos, cert 45224879japanese base charmeleon, cert 45224880
japanese jungle clefable, cert 45224883

If you think I’m way off in calling these inauthentic, feel free to voice your concerns. Here’s a comparison between two real arita sigs [top] and three of these ones from the seller:

14 Likes

That Sugimori Pika illustration looks like it was done by a third grader.

4 Likes

Buy the authentication not the ink.

3 Likes

And then authenticated by a third-rate grader.

5 Likes

They may look a little “off,” but are you going off anything more than that to contradict the judgment of PSA as “very probably” incorrect?

It’s also worth nothing that if someone is performing hundreds or thousands of signatures, many are bound to look at least a little bit off, particularly when the person signing is tired.

Ken Sugimori signatures have always been very clean and consistent. Rarely ever having any variation to it.

A dead giveaway on every copy is Pikachu sketch. It’s the hardest part to mimic, and almost always looks very sloppy.

2 Likes

Provenance > PSA.

PSA has absolutely no idea what they are doing with Pokemon signatures. They authenticate autopen or fake Sugimoris all the time, and fake Aritas as well.

This is all while they reject legitimate signatures like the ones @swolepoke personally obtained from Fukuda in Dallas.

PSA’s ineptitude in this area is well documented, as is the consistency of legit Ken Sugimori and Arita signatures.

3 Likes

I can’t prove the sigs are not authentic short of watching the person faking them in person, hence the weasel words. It’s just plain impossible to prove a negative like this. The default position is to assume fake and the burden of proof is on the person who claims it’s real. But look at the evidence. There’s a difference between being “off” and making up your own Japanese characters. Not to mention the two different artists, both looking suspect, coming from the same seller, graded in the same submission…
If you got an example of other arita sigs that look anything like these please feel free to post them. Or maybe anything constructive outside of nit-picking my phrasing. Otherwise I’m not really in the mood to address the concerns of a serial contrarian.

6 Likes

Autographs like Arita’s and Sugimori’s, while varying every time in presentation due to factors like human inaccuracy, fatigue, etc. still have characteristics that are present consistently, in every copy with provenance.

Those autographs are missing those consistent pieces. For Sugimori, the biggest giveaway is the Pikachu and whether or not it “looks right.” That one certainly does not look right compared to copies with provenance. In addition, if you understand the Japanese kanji characters they’re writing for both Arita and Sugimori, the difference in hand writing becomes clearer as well.

Those autographs are 100% fake.

11 Likes

Looks fake as hell to me. When you write your signature it becomes second nature to you similar to how you don’t have to “think” about typing on a keyboard. Your fingers are just “programmed” to do it automatically with no significant thinking.

You can see on the two top signature you have the small curved tail on the end from the signor getting ready to write the next letter. The three bottom signatures you can tell the person had the pen straight and was probably writing the letters very carefully but failed to replicate the distinct features of the pen stroke. You can also tell that the top two signatures were written with a curved pen which is the natural signature position. The three bottom look like the person was holding the sharpie straight up.

Numerous other differences in penmanship.

1 Like

The 3 on the bottom don’t even match each other.

Damn thread, I have been trying to make some quick cash, my wife always told me my hand writing sucked. Cursive didn’t help either. You have officially killed and authenticated my mojo: @pkmnflyingmaster. Thanks for the update :blush:

1 Like

Interesting. Yup. I’m not going to buy signature graded cards from now on.

Graded autographs are still way better than ungraded. While obviously imperfect, It’s at least a barrier. There are way more fake ungraded than graded.

Looks like a gold rush for scammers

gold rush on psa’s incompetency with sugimori

1 Like

Haha…I have been eyeing that Red Cheeks Pikachu and Venusaur Arita Auto you have…Those are legit.

1 Like

I wonder what PSA would do if this issue was brought up?

Damn 4XXX certs.

5 Likes

Absolutely nothing lol.

6 Likes