Fake Sugimori Signatures

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Signed-Autographed-English-Charizard-Holographic-Gym-Card-Ken-Sugimori/332993388220?hash=item4d87f3debc:g:IqQAAOSw5wFcLYJX:rk:11:pf:0

A very ironic listing as both of those Sugimori signatures look fake.

1 Like

Those are 100% fake. Looks like they took some of the photos from this article.

Dang. I hate seeing this because I always wanted to get one. I think the best bet is to buy from a legitimate seller.

-Matthew

I love the explanation as to why the signature and pikachu looks so sketchy lol.

Hello there,

I was the seller mentioned to said card and want to sincerely apologize, so I made an account to do so after somebody here contacted me via eBay.

I believed that the card(s) were legitimate even after comparing with a number of fake signatures and merely posted what I was told when I bought them (luckily, I didn’t spend much on the one I was selling). I took the listing down on all websites that I had it listed for sale on and will not attempt again as I had thought it had a big chance of being a real signature seeing the writing (in-person) has the same strokes in the same way via marker overlay and so on. Thankfully, I know my others are real, but it’s a shame that I still apparently lack a real Ken Sugimori autograph… One day, I suppose.

Sorry for the trouble and keep up the good work on looking out for other collectors. This would be the first time that I actually bought a fake card believing that it had a good chance of being legitimate; it’s embarrassing after being in the business for over twenty years or so. I feel terrible that I was trying to sell a fake autograph, especially considering that I’ve wanted a real one from Ken Sugimori myself. My deepest apologies to all of my fellow collectors.

Clyde

10 Likes

I was just about to ask you about these lol. I was comparing them to your listing.

Another example of the value of e4.

4 Likes

Reviving this thread in light of an eBay sale:

www.ebay.com/itm/Entei-Promo-34-Reverse-Holo-Pokemon-Card-NM-Worlds-2008-Ken-Sugimori-Signed-/183830671112?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Another poor fake. Sold for $250…

2 Likes

Not sold, ended. At least on my end. Cant see somebody paying 250 on a signed bulk card.

@way2slowbro, If it were the real deal you could probably add a 0 to the price.

2 Likes

the card doesn’t really matter, it’s the rarity of the signature (provided that the card itself isn’t $500+). Sugimori is way rarer than Arita, but just as iconic.

Watchcount.com has a sold listing at $250 best offer. Not sure what’s up with the listing, but it definitely sold at one point.

Jesus didn’t realise Sugimori was that rare.

Both the BIN pricing and listing’s “offers received” itself were edited several times, too. In the end, the seller took what money they could and ran, I guess. That’s a shame.

It’s really just supply and demand. If by chance Sugimori announces a signing at the next Worlds, his value will definitely plummet, but if I’m not mistaken, all of his signings have to be authorized by the Pokemon Company and I’m not sure if he is planning to do one for a while, if ever again.