Opinions on autographs and sketches

Autographed cards are a bit ugly when the sketch is different from the Pokemon on the card. Why would I want a Snorlax sketched on a Dustox card?

I will admit that sometimes it looks cool or works with the pairing. But often times it is just off-putting and irrelevant.

14 Likes

Harada did a lot of snorlax/ditto sketches when she thought the Pokemon on the card was too much to draw

3 Likes

I don’t understand the appeal of having an artist sign an energy card / v star marker card / similar. I’d much rather have a card signed that the Illustrator in question actually drew. I’ve seen several where they do look nice & I can appreciate the aesthetic but just not for me :man_shrugging:

13 Likes

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought that many people just wanted a popular Pokemon to get sketched on their less popular card.

:joy: facts :joy:

Having the option to get whatever pokemon you want is a huge luxury. Arita will do it, Harada has been very open to it but you get the occasional Snorlax. Saitou did it at Baltimore but I think he learned how hard it was - even then, he wouldn’t do some pokemon if he was uncomfortable how large or complex they were.

Himeno mostly stuck to her predetermined list in Charlotte but for a few people she improvised. At a certain point she realized she couldn’t realistically take all custom requests and she asked that people stick to her predetermined list. I had the very fortunate opportunity of being able to spend a lot of time with her at that event. When it was my turn, I maybe could have gotten away with asking for a special request sketch but it just didn’t sit right with me, so I didn’t (other than turning the card landscape instead of portrait as it was intended :slight_smile: )

If I’ve learned one thing it’s that autographs that are done specifically for you hold so much more personal value. It’s easy to evaluate the literal traits from an outside perspective (especially when they are actively listed for sale). But I have seen that the more people go to these events, the more they value the experience of getting the autograph. Each one has a story and huge amount of context for why it exists. It’s hard to qualify the value of that experience and it’s also worthless to those who don’t know that context and I get that.

I think where my rambling is going is that it’s autographs become physical symbols of an experience. Everyone will value that experience to a different degree. Some value the dollar amount of the card over that experience (yet I bet many of those people still keep at least one autograph). For me, I’m finding more and more that the autographs where I am not a part of the story are just less desirable and the ones that were done for me are just personally value to the point where putting a dollar amount on it doesn’t make sense. Overall, there’s so much more going on that the literal traits of the autograph can convey

I’m replying to @Dyl here but I think I’m just letting out a boader feeling than his original point

18 Likes

100% I’ve definitely grown more attached to my personal autos and less to ones I have no memories of my own about. I bought this Akabane auto last year and it kinda doesn’t do anything for me; I’ll probably trade or sell it. Meanwhile looking at my personalized autos I remember the experience, meeting the artist, fond memories etc.

4 Likes

I will take your sugimori gatr friend :heart::relieved:

2 Likes

For sure this. At the new york signing i got drawn into the hype for energies, and it for sure has less meaning because harada didn’t illustrate it herself.

1 Like

Can you afford it?

1 Like

I went from assuming I wasn’t getting an autograph in Hartford and not caring, to knowing I’d get an autograph and still being mostly indifferent about it, to now craving the next chance to get an autograph.

I’ve never really cared much about autos, but it really was a great experience and I haven’t shut up about it to my friends and family. I will absolutely be trying to make it to any future signings within reason, I totally get it now.

That said, I still have no desire to own signed cards that I didn’t get myself. I think the signature is cool enough, but the memory and experience part of it is really what I care about, which then makes that specific signature associated with that memory great.

3 Likes

6 Likes

It truly is an addition

If I was ever in a position to get a card signed by an artist, I would just make sure that the card I am signing was illustrated by them. For everything else I am not picky. I think the overall experience of the event will be forever attached to card (irrespective of what is sketched) and in my memory.

If something like that ever happens, I would be very grateful. Till then I have my E4 signature event cards to flex :star_struck: which considering that it was completely online are very special to me in this hobby.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Just a thought question, is it the same feeling if the card was signed in your name, addressed to you but you did not attend the event? Meaning, if someone helped you get the auto, is it on a same personal level to you as the ones you got them signed yourself?

Cheers!

Maybe not quite as high but definitely more than one without my name on it

1 Like

If I’m going to get this Raichu collection to the next stage I’d like to get at least some signed cards, bit unlikely given the prices they go for but you never know. I’m in the UK so it’s a bit more difficult to get access to artists so chances are I’d have to buy them signed or hope someone was offering a slot (why would anyone queue to do that though?).

I’ve started picking up voice actor signed cards, there’s a great effort ongoing for that. A lot cheaper than the ebay premium for TCG artist signed products.

1 Like

You’d be surprised! I’ve had two wonderful e4 members successfully get a signature for me and one e4 member who tried but was not ultimately chosen. The connectedness of e4 is unmatched.

5 Likes

I knew I had found a nice place when I joined up.

I wonder if I’ll get the chance to offer to do it for others one day. Not unless some artists decide to go very far north in the UK I imagine! But some of the voice actors maybe.

2 Likes

Personally, autographs/sketches don’t mean much unless it is personalized to me. I think the memories and experiences that come with getting a card personalized and autographed is what makes that card so valuable to the owner.

If the sketch and the card don’t really match it does feel a bit off but I would still appreciate the time and effort the artist put in to draw it. It will just add to the memories attached to the card I guess :man_shrugging:

Also I don’t want to offend or attack anyone but I just find that those cards with the personalization of “trainer” or the Pokémon name just plain garbage. If I see that kind of “personalization” it just screams that this autograph was obtained for the sole purpose of reselling and I would not want that in my collection. I especially think that removing the personalization is a much more heinous offense as you are basically altering the card/autograph. I know that personalization wasn’t always around but its been pretty standard these days so seeing a recent autographed card that was supposed to have a personalization have only the sketch and auto just doesn’t sit right.

Just my opinion.

8 Likes