Is signature order important for Japanese autos?

7 Likes

I can assure you that a venue or a time zone makes no difference in how someone signs.

1 Like

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I can say it affects the effort they put into it lol, but stroke order stays the same

1 Like

i guarantee it does. Try flying from Japan to the USA . Straight from the airport to the venues. The time zones is different, Flying with no sleep and staying up thru the whole day signing autos. Anyone will get tired. Try it. People think travel is easy, it is not.

We fly between Japan and USA monthly. Getting from your home in Japan is also a chore, we in the USA have it easy. Mostly everyone can drive and be at the airport in less than a hour. In Japan, most likely a person commutes with public transportation to the airport…

Until you do it, you cannot understand it.

1 Like

Have you signed autographs in masses for the public? I can tell you that you will miss some strokes over time and correct them after you do your last stroke, especially if it is a public art signature.

I am sure the artist are more careful, but that it happens more than you think it does.

The autos are fake like you said and you did great research.

Just wanted the non-Japanese nationals know that stroke is not the absolute answer.

1 Like

Have you signed autograph in the masses?

You give me the impression that you’ve either signed hundreds of autographs in one sitting, or have sat next to someone who has done that. I can personally say I’ve done the ladder and have sat next to a couple of the artist we’re speaking of and witnessed them autograph a few hundred cards.

I would love to hear more about your expertise and how you’ve come across so much insight and first hand knowledge surrounding this topic!

2 Likes

He just likes to be a contrarian.

Titanic is a garbage film

10 Likes

Stroke order applies specifically to each character/letter in a name, so if you were so lazy as to not finish writing the second leg of the letter “A”, going back, you would finish it where you left off in the stroke order for that letter.

At this point, there isn’t much more I can say about this and our opinions shall differ, though I would love to hear more about where your vast knowledge derives from :pray:t2:

1 Like

You take that back right now :sob:!

I plan to defend that statement for several more posts actually

1 Like

Thats fine, as long as you take it back at the end.

Also i think this’ll get locked since theres arguing about whether or not a signature that youve practiced for 25years is so ingrained that you might forget how to do it after 200times in an hour, or if professional artists are apathetic enough to be burnt out and make mistakes at these events.

I mean, sure it happens to people and no one argues that, but to someone who is likely a bit more reverent about the process since its tied to their work, it isnt likely.

Yup, i have signed.

If anyone here signed thousands of sigs. You will attest to what i will state .

• media, signing a cloth, clothing, tshirt, flag i not easy, you will snag the sharpie / pen and have to trace back .
    -pens will break. even ink “shoot” .
    -media will be different in every country.
    -pens used are different
    -surface
    -sharpies will degrade
  • the list is longer

Anyone with “vast knowledge” of signing can add more. I am not even stating the physical and mental aspect of the signor.

sitting next to someone is not signing. I guess if you travel with the signor year round you can qualify. But a one time local even once every few years does not qualify.

Experience sometimes trumps book smarts.

What experience are you talking about?? I would love more details than “Yup, I have signed”. That hardly does anything to help back anything you’ve stated. So you’re claiming that you’ve done a paid signing event, for hundreds/thousands of attendees and got so tired and lazy, you couldn’t properly write your name? RIP to those people.

I understand that fatigue plays a role with signings, but It usually comes to the cleanliness/sharpness of the autograph or the sketch. I’ve seen Kagemaru Himeno and Hitoshi Ariga sign 300+ autographs each and neither got lazy, forgot a pen stroke, or had to correct their signature. At most, fatigue had them forgetting to personalize the card or what sketch a person wanted.

I also want to make the point that the artist, like Ken Sugimori, who were at the early World Championships, only had to sign cards for a one hour window. I find it hard to believe that they would be exhausted or too fatigued in that short of a time that they would miss writing parts of their signautre.

But again, even if they for some reason didn’t finish writing a letter/charcter, they would go back and finish it in the pen stroke order they have always done it in. That doesn’t ever change due to tiredness or fatigue.

You’re on this weird high horse of acting like “Well if only you guys really knew how it felt to be on the frontlines signing day in and day out, because I do”, without providing anything that actually supports it.

14 Likes

3 Likes

Iykyk

1 Like

LOL. high horse.
You know about the Japanese more than the Japanese know about themselves.
Keep up the great work. It is good. I was just warning the non-Japanese collectors that pen stroke is not absolute.

Japan is now in the modern times. This is not Edo period , samurai times.

Just to let you know, My immediate family consist of Japanese nationals, Dual JPN/USA citizens , USA citizens. This is my IMMEDIATE family . We live in both Japan and USA. Travel between both Japan and USA monthly.
You and me are not the absolute truth and authority. I can admit that. You seem to think you are the absolute authority on Japanese writing and calligraphy.

Be open minded, it helps .

You have yet to provide anything that actually backs any statements you have made, again. Great, you’re part Japanese and have Japanese relatives who travel. That still doesn’t answer anything I asked or support anything about artist, signing events or autogrpahs in general that you’ve tried claiming.

But please, keep avoiding and continue to throw out the same arguements to defend your points.

The statements I’ve made are in relation to all signatures, artist, events, etc, not just purely Japanese related ones. I’m coming purely from a calligraphy standpoint, nothing more.

At this point, the conversation is no longer productive and you have a better chance of trying to hit your 500k eBay sales goal, than convincing anyone here you know what you’re talking about. Wish you all the best of luck with that :pray:

11 Likes

11 Likes

23 Likes