Is Champion's Path The Next Hidden Fates?

I want to continue the topic of @smpratte 's latest video.

Is Champions Path The Next Hidden Fates?

Short answer:

No. It’s currently being somewhat overhyped after the huge success of HIF. The international version of the upcoming S4a Sword & Shield High Class Pack Shiny Star V set might be what collectors are waiting for in the future.

Long answer:

Well then… PrimalLugia? What could the next Hidden Fates then?

S4a Sword & Shield High Class Pack Shiny Star V is going to be the successor of SM8b GX Ultra Shiny so far from what the set description is saying. It’s the next High Class Pack set for Japan. Alot of people already know what kind of sets these are (BoXY, SM4+, SM8b, SM12a etc.)

Official sell sheet description translated:

190 cards included + Secret rare cards.

1 Box contains 10 packs (10 cards per pack).

1 guaranteed V or VMAX per pack.

Several staples for players will be reprinted.

New cards will also be included, notably V, VMAX and Supporter(s) with original concepts.

Will contain about 190 different cards, so that even heavy buyers won’t get bored easily

Many Shiny Pokémon will be included

Speculation

Will CPA be the next HIF? Probably not, of course if it will contain Charizard VMAX HR, it would create alot of buzz and hype. I think the set is being somewhat overhyped right now. But TPCi is really quiet about this set right now. Either the set is really average and comparable to Dragon Majesty with only 1 real big chase card for the collector, or they are keeping huge surprises from us.

Alot of collectors thought HR VMAX Zard was going to be included in Darkness Ablaze, but i’ve stated it before, that Japanese Starter deck cards usually don’t get a higher rarity in International sets before Japan does. VMAX Charizard is a VMAX Starter Deck card in Japan.

The difference with HIF is, is that you could enjoy many shiny cards, and not open packs to get and pray for only 1 chase Charizard card. That is the strength of Hidden Fates( GX Ultra Shiny), variety.

Hidden Fates was very popular because of the Shiny Vault subset, so essentially SM8b GX Ultra Shiny was the main reason. The same reason Japan was going crazy at launch after the huge success when the GX Starter Decks were a massive hit (and the V Starter Decks are a huge hit too now):

(please check this twitter moment)
twitter.com/i/events/1058117315269742593

The set outside of the Shiny Vault subset from HIF, was actually quite a boring/weak set with many cards from the Family Pokémon Card Game set, which included so many useless vanilla cards to fill the set up with (the artwork is of course good). Ideal for the casual collector of course.

I also personally don’t expect Amazing Rares in CPA, since the set name of the International November 2020 set, Vivid Voltage sounds it might contain ARs. The term Vivid in the set name might refer to the Amazing Rares. But I could be wrong, everyone wants to see AR’s being in CPA, since it’s a special set.

Champion’s Path isn’t going to be the same set in terms of similar contents (Shiny Cards), that is for certain. S4a Shiny Star V will. Curious if Creatures will release a Shiny VMAX Charizard in November when the set releases.

Time will tell.

Now I have probably sparked a discussion over here haha.

9 Likes

TPCi have really stepped up their game in modern product offerings in the last few years. When you combine this with all-time-high demand for all things Pokeymanz, it’s reflected in the high levels of confidence you see in preorder volumes. Throw in a bunch of speculation about rainbow zards, ARs and a new holiday subset, and you have a recipe for for instant preorder sell-outs. I highly doubt we’ll be seeing any AR’s or a particularly enticing card list in comparison to HiF. BUT, TPCi are master marketers - they know what factors make those money printers go brrrrttttt - and for that reason, plus the artwork on the ETB, I’d place a solid bet on the HR Vmax Zurd being in there. Logic being if they’re willing to give us an English copy of the Charizard V Japanese tournament promo, why wouldn’t they do the same with the VMax?

In terms of HF vs CP, it all depends on CP’s set list offerings. One sexy chase card won’t cut the mustard. Like you say, the sheer delicious variety in HF (and near-guarantee you’re going to get decent pulls) makes it such a stand-out modern set, and it’ll take something of similar scale or unique appeal for CP to end up on the same level. I can’t see it happening this time around but it’d be foolish to thing TPCi aren’t going to pull an equally golden egg out of their goose’s arse sooner or later.

3 Likes

Knowing the 25th anniversary of Pokémon is coming, I think we are about to witness something very special in the near future. They would be stupid if they did nothing with it.

10 Likes

I think Nintendo will crush it next year for the 25 year, especially ahead of the olympics

4 Likes

@primallugia You already hit all the main points. So nothing else really for me to say. I’ll just add modern is quite exciting lately. It will probably take along time for any set to be better then Hidden Fates if it ever happens. The amazing rares are sick and so is the hyper rare zard if that comes to English. But those alone wouldn’t beat hidden fates. Maybe if they did like 50 amazing rares in the set. But a handful of amazing rares doesn’t top the variety of shiny vault. One rainbow zard also doesn’t beat it. I will say I’m definitely looking forward to collecting all the upcoming sets!

3 Likes

Tbh I agree with a lot of your points. I think S4a Shiny Star V will be a great set. I don’t want to compare it to Hidden Fates. However I do believe Shiny Pokémon on Sword & Shield border cards would look cool.

I was/still am hoping for the Gold cards from Tag All Stars to be included in Champions Path, I would prefer this more than if it had the RR VMAX Zard in there

1 Like

Both would be nice but sounds like a long shot. Who knows

1 Like

Sun & Moon (TT)GX cards being included in a SwSh set list? At this point I am fairly certain that’s a very very low chance. I would be absolutely surprised if they would do that. It doesn’t fit and i’m pretty sure that has not happened before with modern sets.

The only hope would be as product promo’s in CPA, but so far it doesn’t seem like SM12a Tag All Stars is going to be planned for this set.

My only guess would be that it would get it’s own product similar to the TAG TEAM Powers collection (or Premium Trainer’s XY Collection) or they are going to do something crazy during the 25th anniversary.

2 Likes

Tbh i just ordered some ETB but as the date comes closer my expectations are going even lower for this set. If the set is just a boring dragons majesty all over again then at the very least, the ETB looks gorgeous plus we get that promo zard.

Btw the set is said to contain 70 cards (including 15 Pokemon V, three Pokemon VMAX (Drednaw VMAX, Alcremie VMAX, Gardevoir VMAX), one full art Supporter). Usually these numbers wont include secret rares, right?

1 Like

People are letting hidden fates cloud their judgment on this set. It will not be hidden fates. I always plan for the worst-case scenario of it being a Dragon’s Majesty. In that case I want very little exposure…

2 Likes

Somewhere between Hidden fates and Shining Legends is my guess, unless they are waiting for the 25th to release something amazing.
Doesn’t matter how good/bad the set is for me tbh, i’ve only picked up ETBs. I will be happy and open them if its good, otherwise I will keep a charizard product sealed. Win/Win.

The announced # of cards in this set hints that it’ll be beneath shining legends imo.

@primallugia, where can we get some Japanese product from? ;o do you know anyone

Didn’t mean in # of cards, meant in terms of collectibility . It might be hope since it probably will be something between Majesty and shining legends caliber, aka meh.

1 Like

I’m expecting (see wildly hoping) Champions Vault for this set. Will include all the missing prize cards that were never released in english. Zekrom, Mewtwo, Masked Royal etc.

Why do you expect Sun & Moon cards being released in a Sword & Shield set?

1 Like

What promo’s do you guys expect in the big boxes? I believe there will be a 16 booster product.

I don’t really, it was mainly a joke, that’s why I put wildly hoping in brackets.
But Champions Path isn’t branded a sword and shield set, just like Hidden Fates isn’t branded a Sun & Moon set, so who knows, it might be possible.

The official site says SwSh series, same with HIF saying it’s a S&M series set. It’s officially called a special set (not holiday, that’s a fan term) within the Sword & Shield series.

www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/champions-path/explore-and-watch/

Series Sword & Shield Series