Is Champions Path Worth the Hype?

I know that there’s hype around Champions Path. Which is understandable but what’s in the set? Besides the promo Charizard V in the ETB, have other chase cards been announced or revealed?

I think the set that ppl should really be hype for is S4a Shiny Star V which comes out in November. Shiny V Pokémon sound pretty cool. Thoughts?

I’m worried this set is getting insanely hyped and won’t live up to it. Regardless of that fact, I think it’ll be a fun set and won’t care either way because I plan to open most of my product I’ve ordered.

1 Like

Hyper Rare Charizard Vmax, Blastoise Vmax, Venusaur Vmax, Amazing Rares are on the table. I’m missing some that others could speculate on.

1 Like

I’m hoping and guessing hyper rare zard would be in this set going off the elite trainer box sense it’s the mascot of the set and they skipped hyper rare zard in darkness ablaze. You also mentioned some good ones but I’m predicting the amazing rares to be in Vivid Voltage. But I’m just guessing and speculating we won’t know for sure till Pokemon releases the info to us.

2 Likes

it’s all speculation honestly. only reason to get so stupid about it is the etb promo, and even then people are being pretty ridiculous

4 Likes

Does that mean no booster boxes :slightly_frowning_face:

It’s my first time preordering ETBs before a set releases. Worst case scenario, the only Charizard we see is the V Promo, there’s no starter VMAX, and there’s a pitiful FA Trainer selection. We’d then be left with V/VMAX of confirmed Pokémon like Gardevoir and Alcremie.

I’m willing to take my chances. I agree though that I don’t think it will be Hidden Fates level. The Gym packs they’re releasing make me hope that they at least include unrevealed FA like Nessa, Melony, or Leon.

There will be no Blastoise or Venusaur VMAX cards

4 Likes

I think it’s ETB’s and pin collection boxes only.

The full set-list still hasn’t been revealed so a lot of people are speculating on what it will include. People are going nuts because the ETB has a Charizard promo, and an image of Gigantamax Charizard on the box artwork.

Personally I love the special sets that have a guaranteed promo with their ETB (plus 10 packs instead of 8). If this set is anything like the previous years there will be a guaranteed holo in each pack too which makes openings more enjoyable. Special holiday sets (that don’t have booster boxes) always sell really well and are highly sought after.

In the current climate, anything with a Charizard on/in gets a lot of people excited.

1 Like

There might be some left over GX’s included Japanese sets that were not included here. But really…it’s the chance of there maybe the “awesome rare” Charizard that has people going bonkers
I have one ETB on order, I may get another.

I hope Charizard Vmax is in the set. Preordered 2 boxes of the gym boxes

1 Like

We have almost no idea what’s in the set so I’m getting dragon majesty vibes. There’s the charizard promo and the charizard max art so people assume the rainbow rare will be in the set. But if that’s all that’s in it, then we just have a burning shadows 2.0. The etb is definitely worth it for the promo, but if it didn’t have that I would have been very hesitant to drop any money on the set. People see hidden fates etbs now and see a charizard on this one so they don’t wanna miss out.

1 Like

I think it’s worth considering that most of the hype, from what I see, is from people who genuinely love modern sets. So what it means to “live up to the hype” is just to be exceptional in relation to modern sets. Seems like there is a really good chance that happens given the homerun sets that Hidden Fates and Shining Legends were.

And the promo is a HUGE plus. You can probably get 25 bucks for the promo if you grade it or sit on it for a while. That brings the contents down to $2.50/pack. Which is exceptional for the annual set. Hidden Fates is $7-8/pack.

There’s great value here. And allocations were brutal.

7 Likes

There’s a few main drivers;

• Speculative hype for Rainbow Charizard based on ETB art and recent Japanese promo
  • Recent history of very successful holiday sets from the perspective of both the flipper and the collector
  • As Charlie pointed out, that Charizard V promo is a tasty piece of bait. People know they are getting a large portion of value from the ETB from that card alone
  • Speculative hype for a new enticing subset.

The hype is all very ETB-centric at the moment for the above reasons, the other product preorders in the CP lineup are all readily available, at least in the UK. These preorder sell-outs are basically mass gambling. No chase cards and/or a crappy set list reveal = many preorder cancellations.

2 Likes

Very cool Josh, thank you Josh

There are no guarantees in life but if you put zard both in and on an ETB for a holiday set that doesnt come in booster boxes I guarantee it will be a good buy. Better than wotc? Probably not. But can I buy wotc by the case wholesale for 60% of msrp? No.

5 Likes

This is such a good point, too.

People act like buying WotC and buying Modern are equivalent tasks.

Buying WotC is a massive effort. I can preorder these ETBs from Gamestop and still probably pull a 30% margin on release. The annual modern set is effortless. I’m never taking extra photos for the buyer. I’m not trying to price something abstract. I’m not looking for “that right buyer” who is going to pay me market value.

I see a lot of people who refuse to put anything into modern and I cannot figure out if they hate money or are just shortsighted.

5 Likes

VMax Gigangtamax Charizard Gold Secret Rare incoming…

charizord

5 Likes