How do you keep track of collection progress?

Hey All,

Curious how each person here keeps track of their collection progress/goals. I have been searching for an app that shows me all setlists and promo cards, both English and Japanese, so you can visually see what you own and what you are missing.

I have experimented with a few apps but they all end up missing something in the end.

Do people on here use apps or do you build your own lists? Open to hearing what everyone does.

4 Likes

Oh yeah baby it’s time to talk

S̵͓̤̤͖͍̥͙͛̈̎͒̉̅ͅ ̶̼̟̩̈̒̊̌́̉́̓̐̕͝͝͝P̸̲̼̦̗͖̣̍͐̓̌̽͘͘͝ ̵̣̾̏̎̂̈́̉͂͂͛̑͊͠͠R̶̮͇̱̝̣̗̹͔̣̻̪̾̓̀̊̍ ̶͙̗͂̽̀͒̕Ę̵͉̯͍͓̣͙̙͖̯̰͇̻̞̝̈́̈̓̇̽̆̍̏͗̆͊̐̌͑̚ ̴̢̧̡̼̦̞̖̫̲̙͉̞́̊̑̈̍̓̈̋̈́̋̋͝͠Ą̶̬̬͓̫͈̺̊̿̍̇̈̉̐͒̇͊̎̽̌͜͜͠͠ ̶̛͉̬̹̰̌̓́͋̐̉͝D̴̡͕͍̤̺̥͔̤̗͊͒̈̌͘͘͝ ̷̢̻̹̻̥͔̤̲̆̋͌̉̆͜͝͝ͅS̵̹͚̀̍ ̵̪͉̞̬̗̼̱̠̥͈̣̙̪͚̼̅͐͐̿̈́̇̔̈͒͑̅̕̕͠H̴̢͈̭̮̭̲̰͔̱̲͙̀̔͆̄̆͛͐͐͜ ̸̢̘̼̱͛͊͐E̶͔͐̏̊ ̴̡͉̫͔͗̇̅̈̃̂̈̄͒̈̿̚̚͘͝E̴̙͓̅̿̆̈̅̓͊̕̕ ̸̢͖̻̳͓̲̣͉̾T̴̡͙̱̱̬̗̹̠̹̭̏́̂́̈́̈́̕͠ ̵̢̛̖̯͍̬̹̇̓́̽͋̀̃͐̇̎͝͠S̵̺̭̞̔́͂

21 Likes

I built my own spreadsheet to track my Greninja collection. But also use the PSA registry.

2 Likes

Pages/Word doc 3x3 template for my binder, I just insert images in the corresponding ‘pockets’

Making E4 galleries for cards I was interested in (special arts, character rares, BW&XY full arts, etc) helped me passively remember those categories, and it’s a quick reference should I ever need images

5 Likes

I also use the PSA set registry but obviously it’s only really useful for PSA graded cards

2 Likes

A very simple color coded Excel spreadsheet. Very easy to make and manage, and you can just write tons of personal notes with regards to the card/purchase you have made.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Spreadsheet checklist

I would look at the threads What does your spreadsheet look like? and Set Checklist Spreadsheet Inspiration for inspiration.

For getting something together quick, I would just start with copying over the set list into a spreadsheet from bulbapedia and add columns for Japanese / 1st Edition / Shadowless / Unlimited for the example of base set. Then in each of these you could do a comma separated list like 1 (PSA 9), 1 (PSA 7), 3 in the actual cell to show quantity.

It really depends on how you organize your collections currently and what your goals are though.

3 Likes

I regularly update a Wishlist tab on Excel. Here is how it looks.

Card Name Set Language Desired Grade
Celebi EX EX Unseen Forces English PSA 9
Celebi EX 5,000 Point Play Promo Japanese PSA 10
4 Likes

Thanks for those links, super helpful

2 Likes

I am a big proponent of the spreadsheet because you have total control over how it’s formatted, how it looks, and it’s a personal expression of your collection and your goals. It feels like a way of interacting with my collection, which is enriching. I might not always be able to buy another card, but I’m always able to play around with my spreadsheet.

8 Likes

Did someone say

S̵͓̤̤͖͍̥͙͛̈̎͒̉̅ͅ ̶̼̟̩̈̒̊̌́̉́̓̐̕͝͝͝P̸̲̼̦̗͖̣̍͐̓̌̽͘͘͝ ̵̣̾̏̎̂̈́̉͂͂͛̑͊͠͠R̶̮͇̱̝̣̗̹͔̣̻̪̾̓̀̊̍ ̶͙̗͂̽̀͒̕Ę̵͉̯͍͓̣͙̙͖̯̰͇̻̞̝̈́̈̓̇̽̆̍̏͗̆͊̐̌͑̚ ̴̢̧̡̼̦̞̖̫̲̙͉̞́̊̑̈̍̓̈̋̈́̋̋͝͠Ą̶̬̬͓̫͈̺̊̿̍̇̈̉̐͒̇͊̎̽̌͜͜͠͠ ̶̛͉̬̹̰̌̓́͋̐̉͝D̴̡͕͍̤̺̥͔̤̗͊͒̈̌͘͘͝ ̷̢̻̹̻̥͔̤̲̆̋͌̉̆͜͝͝ͅS̵̹͚̀̍ ̵̪͉̞̬̗̼̱̠̥͈̣̙̪͚̼̅͐͐̿̈́̇̔̈͒͑̅̕̕͠H̴̢͈̭̮̭̲̰͔̱̲͙̀̔͆̄̆͛͐͐͜ ̸̢̘̼̱͛͊͐E̶͔͐̏̊ ̴̡͉̫͔͗̇̅̈̃̂̈̄͒̈̿̚̚͘͝E̴̙͓̅̿̆̈̅̓͊̕̕ ̸̢͖̻̳͓̲̣͉̾T̴̡͙̱̱̬̗̹̠̹̭̏́̂́̈́̈́̕͠ ̵̢̛̖̯͍̬̹̇̓́̽͋̀̃͐̇̎͝͠S̵̺̭̞̔́͂ !?

I love spreadsheets. I spent many hours creating this particular one, and many more hours just … staring at it. And now I feel the urge to redo it entirely from the ground up just because I love spreadsheets so much! Who needs food or sleep when there’s spreadsheets to create!?

12 Likes

Small snippet of my spreadsheet. I’m sure I could make it much prettier but it works for me.

2 Likes

I use spreadsheets as well. This one has helped me summarize my goals - simple and to the point!

14 Likes

Here is my spreadsheet example.
If the row is white, I have it. I highlight yellow if I don’t have it, green if it’s ordered, and orange if it’s not released yet

2 Likes

Spreadsheet but on Google Sheets so I could quick check whatever from an app.

1 Like

I’ve been using the app Pokellector to keep track of the cards I need for my binder sets. It’s not perfect, but it’s free and gets the job done.

1 Like

One of the best things about spreadsheets is that you can write some very powerful tools with simple conditionals. Having an active count of the cards you own just by counting the number of checkmarks in a column is pretty dang cool.

2 Likes

Me and my amazing bros are on this task, hold on tight my friend.

2 Likes

Like most people here I use spreadsheets as well:

My main Magnemite sheet is broken down by language. If TPC ever adds another language, I’m putting all the “dead” languages onto one sheet to save sheet count (I might be at the limit).

The unnamed sheet is my landing page where I can get my counts in. I need to add more untranslated generic text for Italian/Portuguese/Spanish as notes, since sometimes I have trouble telling them apart.

Actual sheet wise I just go green = I have, some random color = ordered but not received, no highlighting = I don’t. The counter counts haves if it’s highlighted in green.

2 Likes