How do you insure a $10,000 item being sent from US to UK?

I’ve gone through FedEx’s advanced shipping tool and reached the end of the process without there being any mention of insurance. With Royal Mail in the UK, insurance is an additional add-on you can include when purchasing postage, but I’m guessing with FedEx this doesn’t appear to be the case.

I don’t want to rely on declared value alone as section F 11 of page 139 of FedEx’s Service Guide mentions:

How do I include a $10,000+ insurance value on a Pokémon card being shipped from the US to the UK?
I’m not at all tied to FedEx in any way, that’s just a service I’ve used in the past.

1 Like

Buy a plane ticket and do it in person for cash.

4 Likes

I’ve had this suggested before, but if you want to buy like a $25,000 card is it really just that easy to take out so much cash? Seems like something that would get the government’s attention.

You’d get asked questions at the border control either side checking youre rational of mind and doing it of your own free will. If not just withdraw/deposit the cash when youre in the UK before you come back.

Normally this seems like a good idea but right now almost every country requires a two week quarantine which means you would be off work and paying a hotel for 14 days. Would cost way too much.

2 Likes

This is exactly why this isn’t an option for me. Not only that but I’m also one of the lucky 1.5 million Brits who is at greater risk, meaning I’d not be allowed to fly out anyway.

1 Like

I’ve spoken with both FedEx and UPS over the phone. FedEx has confirmed what I quoted in the first post - they will only cover $1,000 for collectibles, regardless of the value that was declared. UPS on the other hand cover up to $50,000 regardless of whether they’re collectibles or not.

I only stumbled upon that clause by pure luck. It sounds like UPS is the way forward (for my situation, at least).

3 Likes

Holy… that‘s really good to know, thanks for sharing. I‘ve used Fedex many times to send high end cards to PSA and always felt comfortable declaring the package with the value of the cards… seems like Fedex is not an option anymore going forward.

3 Likes

I have purchased a couple of higher end items from US to UK recently, using both UPS and FedEx. Not only can UPS insure for a higher amount, but their parcels have also arrived a lot quicker. 3 days was the longest I waited using their express service. Would definitely recommend.

2 Likes

Graded power talking about FedEx and insurance for collectibles.

I’ve said a lot of times on this forum that FedEx won’t honor insurance paid for collectibles past $500 (I see @hyruleguardian says $1000 maybe they’ve upped it since I last looked years ago, or I’m remembering wrong) even if you pay for it, it’s just money being thrown in the bin.

That said FedEx international express with signature is a gamble i’d take. I’ve sent hundreds of thousands uninsured via that method and never had an issue, the amount I’ve saved not insuring outweighs any loss I’ll ever take if something happens.

4 Likes

Yes, Fedex only insures up to $1000 (which is a pity, but anything collectable is a risk for a shipping company, that’s why they don’t insure higher), but as you also said, Fedex is really reliable and the chance of the package getting lost is way lower than with other services, that’s also a reason why you pay a premium price for sending with Fedex.