Shipping / third party insurance for $15k slab

Hi guys,

I am selling a $15k slab (a first edition base set charizard). However our national mail carrier only covers up to $5k in insurance (I am in Canada). I reached out to Purolator and they also only cover up to $5k.

UPS and Fedex will cover up to $50k but I been told they don’t do insurance on cards… Is there a third party insurance provider that you guys use for high value cards?

Thanks all

Fedex International Express, no insurance, low declared value, inconspicuous packaging, & prayer.

14 Likes

Is the buyer within flying distance?

Or use PWCC insurance then vault xfer

1 Like

I am in Canada and so is the buyer. If I ship to PWCC (in US) and then have PWCC ships it to the buyer, the Canadian government will charge a 12% custom / import tax on the slab when it enters the country unless I declare the value as $20. But that gets risky if the package gets lost and I have to explain why the value is $15k and not $20 :blush:

I don’t get why UPS don’t insure cards anymore…

If its just Canada to Canada cant you just fly it there?

1 Like

Yeah that may be a last resort. Flights in Canada aren’t exactly cheap (about $500 to and from).

I am okay with paying $500 if it means a mail carrier will insure the slab because I don’t have to worry about hotels or taking a few days off from work. Pretty sure wife will also prefer that option especially with a newborn in the household.

May just yolo or insure for $5k to have some protection.

Sometime I really envy US collectors because you don’t have to worry about import/custom fees which makes buying and shipping so much easier.

As an international buyer and seller, this is what I have been doing.

I would suggest that you can ship it to Ship My Cards in Arizona and use them as a middleman. They provide insurance coverage AND the ability to declare value whatever you want.

1 Like

i live in Toronto and booked a trip across the country today to Vancouver for under $100… just fly

1 Like

Do they allow you to insure an item for $1000 but declare the value as $20 to avoid custom tax? Because I always thought insured value has to be equal or lower than declared value.

You don’t have registered Usps mail or Canada post registered?

Canada post only covers up to $5k

Weird that they don’t have a higher end registered system

Yes they do. They use a 3rd party insurance provider so the insured value and declared value don’t need to match. They have to match if you buy insurance off the courier directly.

For what it’s worth, FedEx only cover collectibles up to a maximum $1k: www.elitefourum.com/t/fedex-shipping-possible-lost-pwcc-vault-shipment/32856/51.