selling expensive cards on ebay

how do you deal with selling and shipping expensive cards over ebay. internationally, i can only insure up to 1000$ no matter the shipping company, and many cards i own are above that value. if i for example sold a 2000$ card over ebay and it gets lost, can the buyer ask for full refund over ebay, although i stated before that it’s only insured up to 1000$? if yes, i won’t sell anything in that price range over ebay.
how do you do this?

Not sure what services are available in your country, but fedex covers up to $2k and UPS up to $5k as far as I’m aware.

both are available, i asked a friend of mine who’s working for FedEx over 25 years now and he says for private stuff it’s $1k max here. :confused:still, what would you do for cards worth more than $5k?

1 Like

I think shipping with FedEx is the best way for expensive cards as I find they’re the most reliable.

1 Like

Being the “most reliable” doesn’t help when you can only insure for 1,000 and someone wants to buy a $5,000+ card. This goes back to what @smpratte said about international buyers needing to take on that risk on their end rather than expecting a seller to essentially gamble.

3 Likes

thanks for the replies. so how do you guys sell those cards internationally? just send them tracked and partly insured and hope for the best? but in case of loss, the buyer could ask for full refund over ebay, no? that’s what i’m not sure about. this would be the reason why i do not sell those high value cards over ebay. if the buyer wants to buy, he should be aware of the risk. i send priority express with tracking, best i can offer, i can’t change the insurance. people shouldn’t buy if they don’t want to take the risk to get a beautiful card for a good price, simple as that. still, this insurance system sucks…

If you’re selling through eBay Global Shipping, then eBay will cover you for international shipping. All you will need to do is cover the cost of sending to their distribution centres.

From first hand experience, if you encounter a problem, eBay will absorb the cost and refund the buyer out of their own pocket.

AT.

3 Likes

thanks. the global shipping will not be possible for me regarding where i live. the second part is more interesting to me. so if i sell a 3000$ card over ebay, insured up to 1000$ and it gets lost, ebay will cover the 2000$? if yes, this would be great. i just don’t want to take any risks on my end, i made bad experiences with buyers in the past.

Find a company who does offer higher Insurance. They are out there but each country has it’s own international shippers with different rates.
Don’t know of DHL is available in your country but they can insure up to 50.000 Euro, it will cost you 500 Euro but it’s insured.

One thing (atleast in the UK) is they ask for the original purchase value or price of the item that was lost, not what the item sold out for Royal Mail ( our largest shipping network supplier). Not sure if its the same elsewhere but ive lost out in the past when I havent been able to claim the full amount back and only shown a receipt of what I originally paid for a good.

Might be different if your a business or something though and you can produce some sort of invoice.

The insurance you purchase will cover the card being shipped from your address to the eBay Distribution Centre. If it is lost in this transit, then you will not be covered by eBay. Should it be lost when it is in eBay’s care and transit, then you will be covered.
AT.

ah, so if i do not send with the GSP and directly to the buyer, the buyer can ask over ebay for a full refund and i have to pay this, when the card was worth 3000$ and insured 1000$, so i lose 2000$? or does ebay cover this aswell when i can provide the info that everything was shipped and packed well.

are you sure about that? as a private person they offer such high insurance? if yes, i wonder why dhl does this and fedex doesn’t.

I´m from Germany, I ship regularly with DHL internationally and I know for sure that they can insure for more than 5.000 as I already did that. You just have to pay up.

1 Like

Always ship internationally with GSP through eBay as you are covered by eBay.
If anything is lost in transit from not sending through eBay, then you’re only covered up to your insurance on the package. Nothing more.
AT.

I believe GSP has a max item value of 2500. At least it is in the UK