eBay international sales over $2500

Hey all, for the longest time I’ve utilized eBay’s GSP for international sales and have no issue. All these sales have been less than $2500 (GSP has a max of $2500) or I’ve been able to break largest lots up into 2 listings so each is under $2500.

I’m looking at listing single cards that exceed the $2500 threshold of utilizing GSP. For these I’d likely ship FedEx International Priority with full insurance (at the buyers expense). I’m curious though how eBay handles this in the event that the buyer refuses to pay any VAT/tax/import fees. I know about 10 years ago FedEx would then just deliver the package anyway and charge the shipper the import purchases. Obviously I don’t want to get stuck paying their import fees because the buyer knows how to work the system. That leads me to a few questions:

1. If a buyer hasn’t paid import fees where applicable, will FedEx just leave it at a depot for a designated amount of time before returning to the sender? If this happens, will my FedEx account get billed for return shipping if it ends up coming back?

2. As long as I upload the tracking to eBay, if for whatever reason the package wasn’t able to be delivered (either a bad address ore refusing to pay fees) but FedEx made an attempt am I in the clear (like domestic USPS tracking)? Or can the buyer open an “item not received” case and likely win?

3. It doesn’t look like eBay has the ability to print FedEx labels at a discount; other than having a FedEx business account is there any discounted places like PayPal ship now that allows one to print FedEx International Priority?

4. At what dollar threshold does FedEx start requiring a lot of heavy exporting documentation?

5. Is it easier to just use USPS Priority International Express and can you insure over $2500?

Thanks!

Here’s what experience I have. Keep in mind I’m in Canada so it may differ for others.

1. FedEx usually sends 2 notices to pay for duties/taxes when the package enters the country. If the recipient does not pay the bill (usually within 10 business days) FedEx will bill the sender’s account. I believe if you refuse to pay the duties they will return at your expense, minus the duties. You select when you ship what to do in case of a non-delivery, i.e. abandon or return at sender’s expense.

2. If an attempt was made to deliver to the buyer’s address eBay should side with the sender, same if the buyer used an invalid address. I would assume the same if they refuse to pay import fees as that’s equivalent to refusing delivery. To be safe you should mention that import fees and taxes are the buyer’s responsibility in the listing description.

3. I don’t know. I just use my FedEx account, seems to be cheaper than the prices offered by 3rd parties.

4. The documentation is all generated (for you to fill in) when you make the shipping label, it’s pretty straight forward. Usually it’s an airway bill, commercial invoice (3 copies, 1 signed) toss one in the box as well as the copies in the pouch outside. Since the items are Pokémon related (I assume) they aren’t controlled substances, dangerous goods, alcohol/tobacco, exotic pets etc. etc. they therefore don’t merit additional documentation.

5. I don’t live in the US so I don’t know from a shipping perspective. On the receiving end though, FedEx is infinitely better than USPS (for Canada) as they handle their own customs brokerage. Where as USPS has to go through the CBSA which is basically asking for a month long delay and an opened/damaged package.

Hope that helps in some way :blush:

1 Like

Thanks! Seems like it would be worth paying to have the package returned to me, rather than abandoned if eBay sides with me. At least that would allow me to sell it a 2nd time. I’ve always shipped with USPS First Class or Priority for international where all needed customs information is printed on the label, so there has never been a need to print 4 copies and stuff them in the pouch. I’m headed to FedEx tomorrow to ship something else, I can ask them about it.

I’m from Europe. In the past I buyed from pwcc auctions when they shipped outside usa without having problems with the custums. When it changed and should received a package I received a note that i have to pay fees (was above $1000 fees) . I asked what if I don’t want it anymore (fedex). They replied that someone will have to pay it or the package will be destroyed.
I just payed in my case.