Help please- Customs has opened a sealed booster box

Hi all any advice would be great.

Brought a sealed unlimited team rocket booster box via ebay, picked it up today and saw it has the examined by u.s customs tape on it.
Opened the flatrate box and my heart drops the booster box is opened. There is no clear WOTC wrap in the box.

First thing i did, took photos and messaged the seller on ebay…

Has anyone heard of sealed product getting opened by customs?
Brought the box from a great feedback seller/big store so dont think they are trying to pull a fast one on me.

Real crap situation :slightly_frowning_face:

Wow talk about a horror story, yep this has happened before, you are covered by ebay so can return it if you choose to, as you paid for a sealed box and received an open one.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s everybody’s fear who orders sealed product internationally. It’s happened many times and is nobody’s fault. Personally, if I bought it I’d just eat the loss though I’d avoid buying sealed product that needs to pass through customs.

7 Likes

Well bugger, thanks for the fast response all…

Might have to make some offers on some of your sealed goodies @acebren / Find other aussie sellers…

1 Like

Yet another Aussie customs opening a box :neutral_face::neutral_face:

At least you now own 36 unweighed team rocket packs, they’ll look cool as part of a display. Always a silver lining.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear man. Hope ebay helps you out.

Who was the postage company?

I purchased a booster box from dacard world and paid $70usd postage (wasn’t given an option), they used UPS and it arrived sealed. I did get stung $500aud in custom fees.

It may be worth paying the extra money for UPS in the future.

going by the text on the tape, looks like US customs were responsible :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Nightmare fuel, I hope you can get it sorted out asap :slightly_frowning_face:

How much was the box, and how much are the packs worth?

Might be able to get your money back from this, and not hurt the seller in the process.

2 Likes

Why would US Customs open a box that’s leaving the country?

Have people seen that before? I would think it would be the customs agency in the receiving country that would inspect packages.

1 Like

Nightmare. Sorry about that, OP. Not sure what recourse there is, but I do agree with anyone who says it’d make an amazing display! I’d be almost tempted to display one of my base boxes like that…

US customs reserves the right to inspect anything leaving the country. They can’t issue duties since it’s an export but still perform checks on exports to screen for illegals exports.

1 Like

Very very rare for us customs to inspect outgoing mail. Years ago I did get info on this and was told if a bomb sniffing dog reacts to a package it will be opened. Only in extreme cases like that.

3 Likes

Must have been the nice smell of pack fresh wotc holos that got the dog barking on this one.

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s that rare, here’s them opening one of my PSA returns…

Yeah it’s not that uncommon, I had customs open one of my packages from @garyis2000 but all that did was delay delivery a bit. Sucks that they opened your booster box, I’ve had a lot shipped here and thankfully it’s never happened.

I feel for you. What a shame.

1 Like

I have a question. What did the seller write in the customs declaration? There must be a reason they checked your package…