Any familiar with customs procedures?

I was wondering if any could shed some light on how customs operates. I’m in the USA and I bought something from Spain. Its a blister pack, and when it got here to me it had a crack and a hole in the plastic in one corner and on two portions of two of the sides the plastic was separated from the cardboard therefore rendering it unsealed. Before I bought it I asked for several additional pictures and it didn’t appear to have the crack/hole. But there’s room to speculate there as the pictures aren’t perfect. And the seller assured me the blister was definately sealed all the way around.

So I contacted the seller and he told me the crack/hole was not there when it left him and that it was for sure sealed. He says he thinks customs must have opened it for inspection and damaged it. Do customs open and inspect every single package that passes through international borders? Only some countries? Only certain packages? Do they reseal original packaging or put it in new once inspected? I literally know nothing so itd be sweet if someone here did! Thanks!

Normally if customs tamper with anything, they make it obvious by letter, a sticker or sticking tape all over it notifying the receipant they have opened/checked it out. That’s my knowledge of recieving items in the UK. US customs I would guess would be similar.

ive had packages opened lots. booster packs look like drigs i guess. its only ever the envelope never the pack itself.

Not sure what you mean by “hole”.
Blisters coming apart are very common.
Customs will randomly open stuff, including sealed 1st Ed Base boxes​:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

Ouch!! Has this happened many times to you?

Bought a booster box from a member here, package had tape on it stating it was inspected by US customs.
They thought it was necessary to take of the seal of my 1st edition fossil booster box to inspect it…
That was a bummer I must say.

@caslon,
It’s been years but yes I had the same thing happen to a Base 1st box that happened to TAndS:(

Ah yes i love customs

3 Likes

Yes exactly that! Suck…

Dude that freaking sucks hardcore. Is there any kind of reimbursement for diminishing the value of your personal belonging?

Yikes man, thats freaking trash. I’m sorry to see that happened to you. Did you make a post about this several months ago when you had just gotten it? I think I remember seeing a post made about this matter.

So I think its safe to say my package was not opened and handled by customs.

1. Either the seller is lying like a priceless Persian rug on a rich mans floor about it being completely sealed and without the crack/hole (hes swearing it was perfect when it left him).

2. I just happen to have terrible luck and during shipping it just so happened to have been the time the the glue decided to stop sticking and somehow through two layers of bubble wrap it hit something and cracked the bottom of it.

Or 3. It was just handled really roughly by some person involved in the shipping process.

Thanks for all the responses everyone! The seller gave me a $25usd partial refund by the way!