Hawaii Pop Con Event with Mitsuhira Arita - Jan 6 & 7, 2024

Oh nice! Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

That’s a choice

22 Likes

My gosh that trophy pika is a crazy choice for an auto! Looks nice though

3 Likes

I remember thinking about getting one of my spare 97 pikas signed during a 2016 arita signing. Probably good I didn’t, but was seriously considering it at the time. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Who do these belong to?

The set of three belongs to a guy named Song and the other one is personalized to SB

1 Like

I wonder if he will regrade it with CGC or wait for PSA to resume grading autographs

Almost certainly the former.

2 Likes

Oh just FYI, CGC was not doing signature series for Arita :cry: oh well…

Well I guess I don’t know then. Knowing CGC though I bet they would make an exception

2 Likes

I remember someone flying in from the US for the Melbourne show with one of those pikas and a bunch of other high end cards I believe at the time Arita refused to sign the trophy only (I don’t know what his reasoning was). Wouldn’t be surprised if thats the same? Either way, very nice!

Edit: can’t be sure if it was a N1, 2 or 3 trophy! But yeah :rofl:

That’s a shame. Wasted opportunity

2 Likes

very nice!

Here are the autos from Hawaii. Mitsuhira Arita really outdid himself and did some pretty nice pieces.

To be honest, the Golem was a bit meh, but he even said that he doesn’t sketch it too often compared to the Charizard. At first glance I thought it was a ditto or something :sweat_smile:

The overall event went quite smooth. The first day there was a small hiccup as Arita did signings from the morning then left at 1pm to do a live sketch exhibition then came back at 2. If you were stuck in the line before he left…then the wait was about 3-4 hours but it was nice to chat with the other collectors. The second day was very efficient and the total time was roughtly an hour to an hour half wait. The appointment scheduling was pretty efficient. The admin and security for Hawaii Pop Con were quite on it as well as they were catching people who tried to sneak in others or change the name card. They also caught some people who were using kids to abuse the standby line (for those without appointments) as kids had priority. A new measure was also implemented for the common auto where your name had to be on the card in English and match your ID or License. That I’m totally fine with. But it was funny how he said there won’t be anything addressed to Trainer, Collector, or Ash. Luckily there was no one with the name Ash :joy:

14 Likes

I also want to say this was a great learning experience for autographs. Some seasoned autograph collectors who flew in for the event told me in line that its good to bring your own pens and have them ready when you go up (as they said most other pens are better than the sharpies up there).

I also learned that you need to air dry the cards :sweat_smile: I have a classic collection charmander and charmeleon from day 1 and unfortunately it didn’t dry well enough and the auto is a little meh. :pensive: I’m just thankful that it wasn’t the sketch card that had that issue.

8 Likes

Seems like over time people are making it better, here we did 3 hours in line and even then were told by regulars how that’s pretty efficient! Although we still had the Kanji option for non sketched slots!

1 Like

I don’t think the Golem is that bad! Thanks for the detailed report on the event, will be useful for those attending the Germany signing.

How did it work with the limited auto, could that still be personalised to anything you wanted, or had to match your ID also? And how long would you recommend letting the cards dry before sleeving, to avoid any issues with the ink?

2 Likes

Has anyone seen a smudged auto sell? I can’t imagine waiting in line for hours only to smudge the auto before drying.

Smudge autos still sell but at a lower price.

I’ve seen worse sell on eBay probably 4 months ago. It was a Gastly signed by Harada but her auto wasn’t smudged, a spot above her signature was gone and it was just white (ink stripped) since the person most likely tried to use something to wipe away the personalization.

I only seen that one other time where someone did it on an Ariga. That hurt to see.

2 Likes