Hawaii Pop Con Event with Mitsuhira Arita - Jan 6 & 7, 2024

Just FYI for those of you coming to Hawaii for the Hawaii Pop Con event with Mitsuhira Arita, this was just posted on their site:

It also shows prices but is a little vague. I messaged them and they said more clarification is forthcoming.

4 Likes

Will the Midwest ever get a signing?

2 Likes

Ah hopefully you folks get one soon. I haven’t really collected autos but this is the first Hawaii event I’m aware of that has an artist doing autos (other than the Pokemon Worlds events).

Imagine living right in the middle of America and complaining about not having access to signings :dizzy_face:

6 Likes

It comes more naturally than you think.

1 Like

Come to Canada, only then will you know true pain.

3 Likes

Welcome to Canada

Now why did her disabled children need to catch a stray here

Their punches are what punches feel like in my dreams

Kinda new to signings so forgive me for asking, but why is the “Limited” tier of signing an extra $150? The description doesn’t really seem like its worth 5x the price.

Sketch probably takes more time than an auto. If a sketch takes 5 times longer than an auto, then they should charge 5 times or more for it. Time is likely very important at these events and any type of customization will cost more time than the common option.

Alternatively, limited is likely what a reseller would use and most Japanese artists appear to be very turned off seeing their autos for sale so the jacked up prices could be to deter them.

3 Likes

I’m pretty new to auto collecting/signings too, but from what I heard most auto collectors prefer the ones with sketches. You also see those autos fetching higher prices when they get sold. I feel @A.P.Speeze got it spot on with the time and its meant to deter flippers

It appears there will be a rsvp system with time slots that will be available prior to the event. VIP pass holders will get a link to sign up before the public. So check your emails if you will be attending

(official website link for the event) Mitsuhiro Info – Hawaii Pop Con

VIP registrations are available via the Google Forms link that was emailed to your email if you bought the VIP pass. The general public will see a notification alert 24 hours prior to going live on their instagram for those general admission folks to sign up.

It appears that there will be no in person line/queue. They stated via their instagram page that they don’t want people camping out over night. They also stated that this is not a signing event and want to deter flippers.

It is important to note that you can get 2 signatures (1 with a sketch and auto and one with just an auto) if you pay for the combined option price of $215 + Tax (Common option $35 + Limited option $180). For the limited option ($180) you can get a english or kanji auto or both plus a sketch and can have it addressed as a nickname, sns handle, friends name, as long as its recognizable. For the common option ($35) you get an english auto, no sketch, and it has to be addressed to you and match the legal name on your ID (kinda strict, but does deter the flippers a little).

They also stated that if you buy a VIP pass you can only sign up for 1 of the 2 days. So if you wanted to get an auto on Saturday and Sunday you would need to buy 2 VIP passes. VIP passes here are $200 a pop.

Some other info:

https://www.cgccards.com/news/article/12412/hawaii-pop-con-mitsuhiro-arita/

Eligible for yellow label Cgc sigsnture series too. Very jealous to whoever can get one. Wish I could

3 Likes

Oh nice! I may need to think about CGC for this one :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh I didn’t see anything on that link about the yellow signature series grading cases, but I just emailed them and will post if/when I get a response. Hopefully they do, because that would be amazing!

1 Like

Ahh unfortunately CGC just responded back and they sent me this:

It looks like they won’t be doing any signature series yellow slabs. No wonder CGC took down their instagram post :pensive:

1 Like

I think this customer service agent doesn’t fully understand the question. They used to slab unwitnessed autos in green labels. She is saying that they don’t do that anymore. I know this personally because they didn’t recase two of the green labels I resubmitted (but still took my $5 per card :melting_face:)

3 Likes

Agreed. They definitely still do the yellow signature series labels, they just did a big one with Jim Lee.

1 Like

Oh nice, there’s still a chance then! I’ll find out this weekend!