Great win thread of 2023

What’s been your greatest win of 2023?

4 Likes

These are like $3k together in NM, Graded them and PSA 10 of all 3 is like $8k~.

My greatest Pokémon win was selling a PSA 10 Lillie full art for like almost $3k when I got it for $500

11 Likes

I mean I haven’t sold any of them, so I don’t know if it counts, but going by the sealed products I own it would probably be these

5 Likes

Buying a cgc 9.5 1st edition base Raichu and then 2 months later after doing absolutely nothing it becomes a 10 overnight with a value increase because 10 > 9.5

5 Likes

probably buying a raw Japanese Evolutions Charizard Holo for $10, it sits in a binder for years, grade it during pokemon boom in 2020 and it comes back a psa 10 and i sell it for $770 at peak value

6 Likes

I had quite a few wins since 2016 but the biggest are probably these:

Bought 3 Master Battle Sets on release for MSRP. Sold 1 at the peak this summer, opened 1 for the cards and have 1 sealed.

Bought a PSA 10 1st edition Neo Genesis Pichu for 350€ in 2018. Still have it.

Bought several Poncho Pikachu promos when they were below 100$. Sold duplicates this summer. Still have one of each.

Regraded some very valuable PSA 7 cards into 9s and 10s.

Won an auction for Pokemon Topps Chrome cards with terrible pictures. Bought for 40€ and received 80+ cards with 2 teknos and sparkles that weren’t pictured. All of them Mint.

Bought 3 Munch Pikachu Promos for 30€ on release and all of them graded a 10. Sold 2 this summer.

Obviously I also had some losses but nothing crazy.

6 Likes

I’ve bought all three Japanese EBD FA Supporter promos raw for 3,530.00 USD in October 2019 when they were just released; I’ve graded them all three as PSA-10s in February 2020; and I’ve sold them for 150,000.00 USD in June 2023 (and after that I’ve bought a house and the Traditional Chinese alternatives in November 2023 :sweat_smile: ).

I’ve also bought an English PSA-10 1st edition Red Cheeks Base Pikachu for 600 AUD in July 2019 (420 USD for the exchange rate at the time); and sold it for 7,500.00 USD in August 2020. 2020 was a crazy time for sure, with some cards going 20x in value in a matter of weeks… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Greetz,
Quuador

29 Likes

@quuador and @jonandek definitely the winners here :joy:

7 Likes

Bought a PSA 10 1st Ed. Misty’s Golduck for $299.99 in 2019.

Goodness I’ve been fortunate to have many wins. Buying things that are a great value/deal is a hobby within the hobby for me. Maybe my biggest win lately is ordering during the Van gogh drop, having all but one of my items cancelled, but then still sending me ten promos

6 Likes

I bought a lillies clefairy promo for 15 bucks or so. Sold it earlier this year for about 600 bucks.

I also bought a cp6 booster box for 95 bucks in 2018 or 2019. Still haven’t sold that one tough.

5 Likes

This would be a cool thread to do annually. I’d be interested in seeing everyone’s best purchase/sale each year.

3 Likes

Changing the title right now

Bought a dragon frontiers jp salamence ex for 11 euro which graded a 10

9 Likes

I’ve posted about it before, but I bought a CGC 9 crystal zard for 1.3k in Dec 2021. Cracked it and sent to BGS in Dec 2022 and it got a 9.5. Sold it for 8.7k in 2023 and then bought a PSA 9 for 6k. So I basically got a PSA 9 crystal zard for free plus 1.4K cash

I think my luck peaked :laughing:

12 Likes

I bought 2 2010 Japanese Tropical Tidal Waves for €300 euro each in 2022.
Graded both 10s and sold for $5000 each during the JP boom!

That kind of money was huge to me, and really helped out my family at the time with some unexpected bills!

To me, Pokemon gets stressful when cards get valuable! I much prefer cheap cards haha

12 Likes

Wow!! That’s amazing man I love hearing about when pokemon becomes more of an asset rather than a hobby. Makes me feel better about my purchases :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Either pulling the Charizard alt from 151 or picking up this trio for $40 at a LCS.

5 Likes

That is an amazing story! I’m quite envious lol

1 Like

Having the opportunity to grade a 1st Ed Base Charizard 10!

20 Likes