What was your first big purchase?

Hey everyone! I just recently just had my first four figure purchase. Before this the most I have ever spent on a card was around 200. This got me to reflect and wondered what experiences you all have! I know that the term “big” can be different for everyone and im okay with that. It will be cool having different perspectives in here

9 Likes

on a single pokemon item, it was 1300 for a 1st edition neo discovery booster box, that was in 2016. But as far as collectables goes the most is 2500 on a 24k 1 ounce collector coin. Thinking I will cross the 5k mark on pokemon this year as some of the items I want have gone up quite a bit.

5 Likes

My first big purchase was a PSA 9 Rayquaza gold star that I paid $575 for in 2016. That was ultimately dwarfed by the $2800 I spent in April buying…the exact same card! Lesson learned: if you ever feel weird about selling a card, you may want to hold on to it instead.

9 Likes

wow 1300 for a whole neo discovery box! The card I bought was from neo discovery :blush: Its gonna arrive tomorrow and ill post it then

1 Like

yeah i sold it for 3k a couple years ago, the box was in pretty bad shape, I should of held onto it but I still can’t complain since it made me money.

2 Likes

Yeah man hindsight is 20/20

It wasn’t a Pokemon card, but an MTG one for about USD 550 I believe? So once I crossed that threshold, it became easier to spend on Pokemon like a downward spiral…

2 Likes

$385 for a 1st edition fossil booster box back in 2015!

8 Likes

One of the first big purchases I can remember was for a few hundred shadowless/1st edition base cards, and a few other goodies. I think it came to like $770 CAD after import fees.

Notable cards were 1st edition Raichu, Alakazam, red cheeks, Charmander/meleon, Pidgeotto, and like 50 other 1st editions. The rest were shadowless with a few holos like Venusaur, Zapdos, Machamp and a couple others I forget. Most if not all of the cards were in about near mint condition. I still have everything from that lot too.

2 Likes

I spent $1500 AUD on 1st edition base venusaur psa 9 and shadowless blastoise psa 9 back in 2018.

1 Like

First big purchase in collectibles was a MTG Legends booster pack for around $425. But pokemon related, which I just got back into recently, was a Grand Party PSA 10 for a little over $1000.

1 Like

A raw 1st edition base set zard. Wasn’t the best condition but cost me £450 back in 2015/16. It got graded a 5 last year.

1 Like

There’s gonna be a lot of “back in 2016…” :blush:

I bought an original 151 (no nonholo rares) and a complete black star promo set in 2016 for $300. If there was ever a gateway drug, it was that.

3 Likes

$720 on a PSA 10 1st ed shining Charizard. It was my first ever purchase that I believe was considered high end at the time and the pop was 82 then in Oct/Nov 2016

6 Likes

Japanese Unlimited Rayquaza Gold Star PSA 9 for around $200 in 2017. It’s still one of the most expensive purchases I’ve made when it comes to a single card. Actually there’s only one card I’ve bought that was more expensive.

And needless to say I’m super happy I got it back then.

3 Likes

In 2007 I bought my first trophy cards, a 2007 Miracle Diamond and a 2005 Victory Ring Pika. This was a huge for me back then although the price wasn‘t high (probably arpund $600 for both)… it was a lot of money back then as I was only 15 years old :grin:

7 Likes

I’ve only been collecting since January 2020 and my first biggest purchase was Mewtwo Gold star PSA 10 for 1000€.

2 Likes

I started collecting big in March last year. Been a few more expensive items along the way.

But it started with a Base Booster Box for $2700.

2 Likes

I’ve said this many times before but…

My first purchase of PSA cards was a complete PSA 9 1st ed Base holo set for $990.

My second purchase was a PSA 10 1st ed Base Charizard for $700.

This was 2009, when I was a junior in college.

13 Likes

In late 2015 I paid roughly €1200 for a 1st Ed. Neo Destiny box… which never came. The seller said that he had listed it before actually receiving it and, when he did get it, it was an empty box. Not sure about his story, but it’s still the most I’ve spent on one purchase.

2 Likes