General Forum Updates Thread

Updates will be posted in this thread

I will periodically bump this thread when I have made updates to the site.

Formatting buttons added :star2:

Today I have added extra formatting buttons when you are writing posts:

Examples

this includes underline strikethrough scriptsupersub

and things like centering

or right aligning

Table of contents added :star2:

In the post editor, hit the cog button and you should be able to see the table of contents option which will hopefully be really helpful to article writing.

Demonstration

Here is what it looks like when you added it to a post

the code is <div data-theme-toc="true"> </div>, Just have that line at the top of the post while editing

I have applied the feature to this thread as a proof of concept

How it works

All you have to to is structure your post as so and it will automatically render the table of contents

And here’s how it looks:

Header

Sub header

Some content here

Sub sub header

Maybe more content here?

Another sub header

Another header

wow this is great content!

I have also applied the table of contents to this post!

12 Likes

Instagram embeds are now functional!

6 Likes

The Table of Contents is a great feature and a great concept for this forum specifically. Love to see it.

1 Like

So flying awesome! The website just keeps getting better and better.

Great work. Can’t wait to see more :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Small updates

• Rich embeds for Tweets:
2 Likes

@smpratte has been bugging me for this one basically since the site launched. Now, notifications badges are present on the nav bar

• NEW is for newly created threads that you have yet to read
  • UNREAD is for threads you have opened but have new replies
  • MESSAGES are for personal messages

I hope this is useful. The benefit will be that when threads fall down the Latest page quickly, you will still find buried ones with new content

13 Likes

Thank goodness, now I can be in a constant state of anxiety

If you also wish to be in pain like me, consider going to Settings → Notifications → “Consider topics new when” and set it to “I haven’t viewed them yet”

Soon I will have read every single post on the forum

5 Likes

Would it be difficult to make this an option that could be turned off? If it’s not easy forget about it!

There truly is no satisfying everyone :face_holding_back_tears:

Can I ask what you dislike about it? Maybe it’s something that can be worked around. Not that there is also a dismiss button to clear all the new and unread topics:

The issue is there are two distinct types of extensions: “Plugins” and “Theme Components”. A theme component can only change the front-end. Basically its job is to tell your browser to render the page a certain way. For example, the banner is a theme component because all it does it say “hey, draw this random image at the top of every page”

A plugin can also do the same thing but can also change the back-end. In other words, it can make changes to the site’s database. So the sprite signatures are a plugin because every user’s sprites are saved to the database. The downside to the plugins is that you have to reboot the entire forum to update them which makes them far more annoying to test and update

So basically what I’m getting at is that I can make this feature optional but it will likely involve converting it from a theme component to a plugin which is non-trivial. Alternatively, I could just hard-code your user ID right into the javascript and make an exception for you. Then every browser running the site will check if the user is @stagecoach every time the navigation bar is being drawn :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For me, it’s notification overload. I am not really interested in being notified of all the activity in these categories in this way. I only use the site from the Latest tab to begin with, which I catch up on daily. So what I get are numerous notifications for things I don’t want to be notified on, which I have to manually dismiss. They are essentially notifications to clear my notifications.

As someone with a brain that cannot let a notification remain uncleared, I now have multiple notifications I have to make the rounds to clear when I visit the site. The Messages notification is also not synced to the profile notifications, so when I read messages it takes a certain amount of time for the Messages badge to clear on the nav bar. This makes my brain split in half and sends ghosts flying out of my skull, because I am very well adjusted and normal.

I recognize that I am not the site’s only user. You don’t have to do things just for me. I just thought I’d ask. But I would definitely be happy to never see these badges, but not if it makes a lot of work for you just to appease me.

8 Likes

+1 for creativity

2 Likes

I have added you as an if statement in the code (terrible design but frankly the easiest way) so it should no longer show up for you.

You are very observant :slight_smile: I spent about 2 hours trying to figure out how to get it to synchronize in real time and I found a solution that was near-real time and I was going to see if it was noticeable.

4 Likes

Thank you PFM, I’ll let you know if it works. I appreciate how often you try to wriggle and contort the website to meet our petty requests.

2 Likes

Soon he will introduce bugs that only you can see :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It worked, @pfm. Thank you so much. Sorry that you had to hack the website just to placate me. Catering to a userbase is tireless. I’m grateful for your attention.

1 Like

Can’t believe I will have to wait .001 more seconds for the eBay garbage thread to load now because of @stagecoach

If you’re browsing on desktop you can use an extension that allows you to add custom css to efour and then add:

a[href="/new"] + .notification-bubble,
a[href="/unread"] + .notification-bubble {
 display: none !important;
}

3 Likes

Would you believe me that I don’t have a computer? :grimacing:

Just a work laptop which is locked down.

1 Like

Can I also say that I am tickled by the fact this forum officially has a “Stagecoach Rule” built in to it?

This is my legacy.

9 Likes

IDK how to get user ids on the new forum but i’m pretty sure this is your legacy

2 Likes

It’s like a monument. Generations will know me.

2 Likes