English Exclusive Artwork Cards

We have been talking about Japanese exclusive artworks on many cards for a while (I am guessing most people living beyond Japan collect English cards so any card that does not have a English version becomes reasonably sought after) but a recent post that briefly addressed the initial exclusivity of dark raichu as an English exclusive artwork got me wondering - are there any (prominent) english cards with exclusive artwork? I only collect WOTC English cards so the only one I know is Christopher Rush’s mewtwo, which I believe was released in Japan but as an English card. Apparently we have quite a few in Call of Legends set which I will find out more as well. :blush:

1 Like

This card comes to mind. bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Snorlax_(Wizards_Promo_49)

The original was in the Vending series and had artwork drawn by a Japanese contest winner. Wizards used artwork drawn by an American contest winner for the English release.

Isn’t this Magmortar exclusive?

https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/3/39/MagmortarDragonsExalted21.jpg/200px-MagmortarDragonsExalted21.jpg

The Japanse artwork was too offensive for the west.

https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/7/74/MagmortarDragonBlade8.jpg/200px-MagmortarDragonBlade8.jpg

2 Likes

Which reminds me:

any Japanese old background cards that was deemed ‘offensive’ was altered in WOTC cards like:

• Grimer
  • Koga’s Ninja Trick
  • Misty’s tears
  • Sabrina’s Gaze

I think we can consider these ^^^^ English exclusive (maybe?)

3 Likes

These two promos were never released in japan unfortunately :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Off-topic: The only non-English AND non-Japanese artwork I know, released in Korean.EDIT: I knew I answered this before… www.elitefourum.com/t/cards-printed-exclusively-in-english/15040/1 Maybe the threads should be merged?

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

There is actually a Japanese version of Koga’s with the modified artwork.

3 Likes

Flying Pokemon in card, accurate observation, username checks out! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Huh :open_mouth: , I didn’t know that actually. Well now I do :laughing:

Silly me googled and found out that there is already a thread on E4 with the same topic! Sorry for ‘double posting’!!

here is the link, there are some cards not mentioned here yet :blush:

www.elitefourum.com/t/cards-printed-exclusively-in-english/15040/1

1 Like

The 5 warner brother creators cards are only in English I think.

I had already linked to it as well in my post above. :wink: I remembered answering this same question before here on the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Greetz,
Quuador

omg sorry missed that >< but thank you!! @quuador !!!

1 Like

How about XY promo XY126?

2 Likes

@funmonkey54 would be an expert in this :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a slight bump to this thread. I’ve discovered these two. It seems that they have art which does not appear on a Japanese card. Can anyone show me that I’m wrong?

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Quilava_(HeartGold_%26_SoulSilver_49)
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Typhlosion_(HeartGold_%26_SoulSilver_32)

Bonus: Here are two more.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Houndour_(Undaunted_54)
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Houndoom_(Undaunted_5)

1 Like

@pkmnflyingmaster they most certainly look like English Exclusive artworks! it seems Call of Legends has got quite abit of them but I dunno how many! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, just noticed you mentioned that set in your first post. My bad. Interestingly though, the four I listed are reprints of older cards but with new (yet very similar) artwork to the original print of the card.