eBay Garbage

found the non paying buyer

1 Like

Sir this is the eBay Garbage thread

9 Likes

Can we have a philosophy thread please?
This was the initial state of the universe.

You can buy some Polemon cards

3 Likes

Love it @smokemon. If you add up 178, 167, 145, 156, 123, 134, 101, 123, 167, 123, 123, 167, 101, 123, 123, 101, 101 and 101 you’ll find a special number. This is for everyone. :wink:

This is a really, really bad opinion. There is no logic to a few points you tried to make. I could dissect your statement in many ways, but here’s a simple one: what if the seller bought his property at a time where he was prosperous, secure, but ran into hard times down the road? Similarly, what if they thought they were planning responsibly for the future but something catastrophic came up that no one plans for and needed to come up with as much money as they could possibly produce, to help with family suffering serious illness? What if they simply decided to change course in life and sell to put that hard earned money into other important matters?

But that is just breaking down your logic. It is the principle alone here that you are mistaken on, that you are analogously saying you could as easily blame a retail shop owner for simply putting something on the shelf for sale. It’s preposterous.

It’s a different matter that you have an opinion about compassion, no animosity, etc. I read those first lines and said, hey that’s great. But as soon as you said there is no fault in people when they do irresponsible things you are mistaken. You didn’t put them into a situation where they are strapped for cash. They put themselves in that situation. I am a very empathetic person. But when people are kicking your can down the road it is completely unfair to you and they are the ones who did it to you.

It also doesn’t matter whether most people sell online for a living, or if it is a small side endeavor. People sell things because they need money. To argue in any sense to deprive them of the right to sell and be paid when an agreement is struck with another person is ridiculous. It is equally bad if it is the only means a person has to make money, or if it is something they are listing on the side to get money for something they are planning on–perhaps planning responsibly for a rainy day, savvy?

In short it is a wholly different matter (and noble as Matt put it) that you have empathy, or are of the opinion that ebay or other auction sites could improve their system. That much is great, just not so much the other things you put forth.

And on that note, a topic that interests me, is that there is only one way to actually improve the ebay auction experience for sellers and buyers. Punishment for non payment. Ebay doesn’t do this in any enforceable manner when they could actually limit a person’s ability to use the site if they repeat offend. Consequences are essential to learning in life, especially learning responsibility. The idea that someone would have to show proof of cash on hand is crazy and would sink ebay. That’s just getting into territory where irresponsible people are infringing on the freedom/privileges of responsible people.

9 Likes

eBay Garbage does not need this many fedoras. Can we leave it to unpopular opinions instead?

3 Likes

People learn by their mistakes this can never change in a free will universe. A predetermined universe would mean it’s not their fault.

The answer is 2357 for anyone interested. The first four prime numbers. 2, 3, 5 and 7. If I show more the world will break so I’ll just play this song and go back to pokemon. :slight_smile:

I think you’re mistaken. I know that the argument is poor. Again, you can extend these what ifs about “catastrophic” events to the bidder as well which is why I think it’s a moot point. Someone can bid on Monday and something bad comes up on Sunday and now they’re in a pickle because of a Pokemon card?

as soon as you said there is no fault in people when they do irresponsible things you are mistaken

I completely lost you around here, I never said anything even remotely close so I can’t really speak on much else that you said around these points.

But I think we agree that eBay needs better protocols around non-payment. And having some sort of punishment or incentive is exactly what I’m referring to when I say eBay’s design is inherently flawed (for now). Sure, you may think that vetting someone’s finance is infringing on liberty but Goldin or Heritage already does this to some degree (I forget which one). And injecting a third-party in-between eBay and the bidder to verify finances is not really that preposterous of an idea, there are tons of similar companies that operate as a neutral third-party in this way.

Mods, feel free to move these posts to unpopular opinions thread, sorry for messing up the garbage thread >_<. Back to the garbage!

1 Like

Barring death, if someone’s financial situation is that dire where they can’t afford their high bid in less than a 7 day span, they should not be bidding on cards.

13 Likes

Ah. I always thought it was Poleman.

2 Likes

So I have a junk slab for sale on eBay for $25 OBO FS. I get an offer for $21, and I immediately accept it. Then I notice it’s a zero feedback account, and sure enough I get this message a couple minutes later.

22 Likes

Keep us updated

Not necessarily garbage, but your spending limits are between you and your wife, doesn’t affect me at all.

32 Likes

She probably doesn’t know that card is an investment :man_facepalming:t3:

18 Likes

Hey at least you told them your lowest.

My wife on the other hand would never be like “1600$ on a gengar? What a steal! Buy it right now!” Haha

2 Likes

His wife must be the bread winner of the house and he gets an allowance, seems a far bigger issue for him than not having a PSA 10 Pokémon card!

3 Likes

There is no wife lol

15 Likes

It’s all a ploy

2 Likes