eBay Announces The eBay Vault!

I wonder if we are going to get ebay vault auctions as well, and if so, are people going to complain that a $27 billion company is shilling their $100 card?

But more seriously ebay has been pushing collectables as a category hard and will continue to do so. I remember discussing in discord the day PWCC got the boot that ebay was almost certainly going to implement all the features PWCC offers onto ebay.
I can guarantee ebay is going to be pushing more changes and improvements in the near future, both for collectibles specifically and the entire website as a whole.

3 Likes

I also wonder how this will affect the prices of high end cards. Now that it looks like we are getting a safe and easy way to sell cards on the biggest market for collectibles are people going to be willing to pay more for cards? Generally if a buyer has to take risks and jump through hoops to buy a card the card won’t get a premium as there is less competition.

Paired with the grading service option/requirement, I also am tempted to agree with you. Many people have stuff with PWCC however, and that’s not going to change hands over night. As a privately held company PWCC may be able to pivot quickly enough to maintain significant market share… Unsure. Time will tell. BUT ebay has always tried to brand itself as the ONLY place, recalling this nostalgic commercial…

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE9xfKsgjak :relieved:

1 Like

Vaults and card authenticity is not a necessity, rather a support to the demand with Pokemon card success and historical sales record. They are making a bold move on graded card support with vault, and if it’s anything like GSP, it will be of tremendous benefit to the collector safety considerations as cards are valuable.

They are implementing marketing strategy for the long term growth of their company, and are not following in the same mistakes as yahoo auctions in the 90’s.

Companies that do not invest in their Brand and support it, and think new investors will continue to flood in to buy cards, will see the seeping results and weep later. There are new TCG companies that are missing the point and invest in new growth, rather then focus on the old and they have less of a track record then Pokemon.

For that reason, Pokemon will be very successful, regardless of the new support systems offered. Ebay is clever to implement this Pokemon support long term. They must see it’s above Marvel & their aging Star Wars consumers. lol

I like it, particularly useful to combine this with GSP for those of us, who don’t live in the USA.
Great for the buyers, sellers and market in general, competition is good for everyone.