eBay Announces The eBay Vault!

PSA is also hiring for “vault” and “portfolio management” related jobs.

I can imagine that they will try their best to one-up both PWCC and eBay. I’m sure their relationship with eBay is great, but it also makes to total sense for them to want their own vault/marketplace as that completely eliminates any further middlemen.

1 Like

Don’t see why not. Add your vault address to your psa account and it should work just fine :blush:

The real bsd move is to buy from the ebay vault and have it shipped to pwcc

1 Like

Competition is good for the consumer. I’m all for this,

3 Likes

If you’re talking domestic then you can use USPS registered for up to $50k of insurance. I’ve used the full $50k of insurance for about $100. Would recommend.

On the vault I’m super excited about this. As Gary mentioned competition is good and this can only serve to help keep price pressure on PWCC at a minimum. Hope eBay really goes all out and ties it all in to be a great experience for someone who does over 50% of my business there.

PWCC’s option to follow in the footsteps of the old school auction houses has been upsetting and I hope eBay opts to innovate instead of replicate.

5 Likes

ebay grading? :sweat:

1 Like

Basically the next step in whatever masterplan eBay has in store for us, the clue is “free authentication + Grading Add On.

Which company, who gets screwed, is the goal building/absorption/merging or to profit from an open competition while remaining above the fray, or both? A lot of questions, not a lot of answers.

Is the already established partnership with CCG for the authenticity guarantee a sign of what gigantic moves eBay are about to make? No wonder the pop report is overdue again if this is what they’ve been working on.

As a buyer I wasn’t a fan of the PWCC auction format and prefer to bid in the last 1-2 seconds so I hope this brings back some cards onto eBay that would’ve went to PWCC. I hope eBay can add a stock x style verification for sealed product too. Although I wonder how eBay will handle vintage sealed.

Except it’s on eBay. Selling is as easy again as when PWCC was on eBay, except I’d argue it’s even easier than that. This will really help with the liquidity of Pokemon cards in general since eBay will list and ship your cards for you.

Imagine if you could sell from the vault and still have the standard ~12% final value fees applied, instead of the ~20% that PWCC was charging when it was on eBay.

2 Likes

Fees were less than 15% for everything I sold through PWCC on eBay.

1 Like

It’s almost like Ebay knows Collectible cards are going to last for awhile and they’re putting marketing dollars and money towards a vault. Interesting.

ah yeah i figured i might have been mistaken on that. still, if the fees to sell from the vault are similar to standard final value fees its gonna be easier than selling through people consignors like z and g emporium, etc if you’re just trying to sell.

1 Like

I think it’s less that they know it’s going to last and more that they know they have a huge influence on making it last a while.

2 Likes

It’s capitalism, but it’s also a service provider. If PWCC’s auction platform gets better, there could be two viable methods for selling, buying, and storing/shipping items, all through one single provider. Because it’s involving real things, and not something like a content provider or media company, to me, it’s perfectly fine (not evil-corporate-empire level stuff). Not too much anyway. If ebay or PWCC already has my item to some degree, and the buyer will leave it there, then it’s a win-win-win :: buyer-seller-ebay.

…Waiting to see how eBay starts to curb stomp scammers? Cuz you KNOW their money and reputation is on the line. They certainly would.

I think eBay saw the PWCC success on their platform, realized they were going to be a competitor and decided to kick them off and replicate exactly what they were doing. I would really like to see the monthly vault auctions on eBay again. Competition is 100% beneficial to us. Will be interesting to see how PSA’s vault factors in when it is unveiled. Fee structure is going to be a deciding factor for most people.

I doubt eBay would do this if they didn’t think they would pound the competition into the dirt, but then again it all depends on how ambitious they are. Are they doing this simply to get in on the action of the vault-business or in an effort to become the vault-business?

Personally, I think the latter. The reason I mention it is because this will dictate the level of competitive service one can expect from this venture. If they intend to become the leader then how many niches can they realistically leave for others to grasp onto?

1 Like

“Eligible graded cards”

Once again binder collectors are cast aside, forgotten. But one day we will rise up and eBay will know nothing but regret.

3 Likes

Itll be cool if theres ebay vault auction nights, im sure after its been established it would have the same atmosphere as PWCC did when they were on ebay. The shipping, fees, returns, insurance ect ect is all going to be a little new, but if its like GSP itll be straightforward. Its nice to have a safe storage place for cards, even nicer when its the biggest marketplace which would liquidate the cards come time to sell. My biggest concern is if ebay adds a buyers premium, thats the last thing id want.

1 Like