Disney Lorcana - Disney Trading Card Game coming 2023

Since we all like to hide behind the fact that “Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise” so it isn’t going anywhere:

Disney has IP in ranks 3,4,5,7,9, and 11

INVEST NOW

3 Likes

The little difference here is Pokémon it’s only been around for 25 years, Mickey it’s almost a century old :sweat_smile: Anyway, I love Disney and animation in general and I never understood how it’s possible that a lot of collectibles are so dirty cheap, considering it’s legacy. Maybe this will change in a few years if this TCG work well.

1 Like

I think the art looks gorgeous. However, the game itself looks like a bad Magic clone. I don’t think any TCG players will be interested in checking the game out because so far it looks like it has nothing to offer gameplay wise, and there are so many different Disney collectibles already I have a hard time seeing Disney fans really getting into it.

1 Like

At first glance, the art looks great. I’m a fan of the black borders coughPTCG yellow borders suckcough and I’m sure they wouldn’t be dumb enough to ignore the Full Arts we have and apply something similar to Lorcana. Could you imagine something like a Full Art Ghost Mufasa or or something? I think that’d go pretty hard.

Frankly if it’s a way Disney can print exceptional and unique artwork on cardboard that’s accessible to the masses, it’ll find a way to sell. If you’ve run into any Disney addict, you’ll know this to be true.

2 Likes

I think what sets this apart from other pop up tcgs (you know which one im talking about), is that Disney actually has some resources to put into this.

They can pump out advertising, ramp up production to meet demand, create and grow said demand, and can afford to invest resources into keeping the game interesting and accessible to players. The 100 year (and growing) history of Disney and its many movies, tv shows, and IPs they can pull from also help. If any company was to create a new tcg to rival Pokémon/Magic/Yugioh, it’d make sense for that company to be Disney. Disney fans are even more fanatical than Pokémon fans. I can see the public eating this stuff up right off the bat.

I think Lorcana will launch just fine. It’s the longevity of it that I’m more concerned with. Lets just hope it isn’t just some cash grab aimed at capturing the 2020/2021 tcg hypetrain…

Images from the actual cards, from Twitter

I need that Mickey!

7 Likes

A lot of Mickey’s up on eBay, people asking revolting prices as expected. Let’s hope it settles down and they become a reasonable amount.

4 Likes

Move over Marnie, Roxanne is coming for your waifu throne.

6 Likes

Disney definitely has more mainstream appeal than Pokemon. We are not certain how many Disney cartoon/movie fans would be interested in cards as well. Nonetheless, I am quite excited and hope to see some good Donald Duck cards in future.

P.S. - Going broke soon as I started collecting One Piece TCG as well.

I think the main distinction between Disney and Pokemon needs to always be remembered.
Pokemon is one IP. Disney has a multitude of IPs that make up their company, even if you only consider the home grown ‘classic’ Disney IPs.

They cannot be compared in this regard.

1 Like

Disney might feature the different IPs in Lorcana if it helps to push sales.

Well it already is representing different IPs. There are 7 different IPs in the promo cards they released.

If you mean Star Wars, and Marvel IPs. I don’t think they will do that and I don’t want them to either. I think this game should remain original Disney IPs, because Star Wars and Marvel can and do carry card games on their own.

Could I see them doing a special set with original IPs in Star Wars/Marvel cosplay or references? Sure, but not a full blown character usage.

6 Likes

I had a hard time finding any high quality videos of the D23 set online with the holo. When mine came in today I made a good video to show them off. They are stunning. Now to figure if I want to keep them… I got in early on the eBay listing and they have went up quite a bit since then. I really love the set and the outlook for the game!

5 Likes

This is ridiculous…

1 Like

Yes indeed… glad I got them when I did but I was sweating it. Still a big gamble though. I really believe in the product I just hope they really flesh out the gameplay and focus on game store events. If they can do that 20% as good as magic this will be big.

Pokémon is the biggest media franchise, but what does that say for Disney when they own like 5 of the top 10 media franchises? There’s something to be said there and I’d argue Disney fans are crazier than pokemons lol. Do a generic “d23” sold listings search on eBay and look at all the crap they make. Being somewhat a minimalist I feel sick just looking at all that consumerism lol.

1 Like

Absolutely zero chance any of those prices hold long term, maybe in 5 years they’ll be back up to what they are now.

2 Likes

Surprised at the price jump. I got a few Mickeys below $200 on Day 1/2 of release.

Bold you of you to assume those people are interested in holding for 5 years, that’s just pure first to market FOMO and hype.

They just want to sell them asap.

4 Likes

That’s my point. Anyone buying these cards now as a speculation or even collectibility play is much better waiting a bit for all the early speculators to get burned and move on

But here’s something you may not be considering: I am a little baby and I want my toys right now.

4 Likes