Disney Lorcana - Disney Trading Card Game coming 2023

Definitely feels like if they focus more on the collectability and the chase cards, it could be a success financially, great stocking fillers at Christmas, pickups from the various stores and kiosks at the Disney parks etc.

Love Disney and love “some” trading cards, so we’ll see. Hope it does well

Disney Parks exclusive cards/promo packs. Lord have mercy.

8 Likes

Yep! This was the main cause for the 1990’s TCG/CCG downfall, and will likely be the cause of the 2020’s TCG/CCG downfall too. Everyone should exercise extreme caution on these new Kickstarter TCGs/CCGs. Disney may be the exception to the rule given that their IP is strong and their pockets are deep.

2 Likes

How did Yu Gi Oh sustain itself? Besides TCG shops and discussion circles, I don’t hear anything about it.

Also, most TCGs are dominated by men. Is there a reason for men being the main demo or why aren’t women interested in it? It’s not like any of them are necessarily male oriented.

And lastly, the problem with the pandemic era TCGs and really any new ones - maybe even or less so current ones - is that they seem to draw from the same set of people. How many non-TCG exposed people are really going to get into something like Metazoo?

Plus the 90s already saw the ending of many popular properties like Star Wars and etc. (according to Wikipedia) because how many can really sustain a TCG? Then again, I know nothing much about YGO or Digimon (though I think this was restarted?) to know how they are still going. Pokemon is clear because it is a juggernaut in general and MTG was the OG.

Disney definitely have the foundations though of making it a success, but they’d need to be targeting an audience that doesn’t already play TCGs.

If anything it’ll attract those from MZ. Pokémon and MTG are too big.

The collectable element of this Disney game doesn’t interest me one bit.

I hope they use classic arts. Will probably buy some as gifts for my kids. They watch Disney-related videos almost every day.

2 Likes

I am still waiting for League of Legends Trading Card Game. :rofl:

Sound like it would be something with scratch cards with codes of skins like the WoW cards had. Too connected with the game instead of trying to be an addition to the game.

The first look at the Lorcana cards. (there is 1st edition)

10 Likes

See yall in a year

The Cruella is pretty sick ngl

I’m quite pleased with the aesthetic.

6 Likes

I can imagine Disney leaning heavily into things like 1st edition and card parallels. The Robin Hood and Captain Hook ones look great. Time will tell for this TCG. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just imagine… 2023 PSA Shutdown due to Disney Lorcana submissions.

7 Likes

Ngl that art looks really good. Could not care less about the game aspect of it though.

& already making an exclusive Mickey promo lmao.

2 Likes

9/10 for the art itself. I just wished they did something else with that ugly yellow paper aesthetic covering a third of each card.

1 Like

VERY promising to me IMO. Mechanics are closer to magic than they are pokemon, and with these holo exclusives and mickey promo they are hitting collectability on the head as well. These could be the grails if this takes off honestly.

Robin hood and Mickey have Evasive, similar to magics flying/reach. Also Elsa has an “exert” mech with a side arrow icon. Makes me think things can be exerted, or “tapped” like in magic.
I believe the designer was also a main designers to Magic’s Core Set 2012… not to mention the other top tier games he designed for table top gaming so there’s that!

Stonkers

1 Like

I really, REALLY like the look of the illustations and how the colors are so soft, like actual drawings. The Mickey one it’s amazing, Id love to pick one of those D23 sets >_<

5 Likes

Speaking as a player and Disney fan, I do love they included flavour text, but also named the abilities/special effects. Can’t wait to see the chase cards, they’ll make or break Lorcana if it wants to popular amongst casual collectors.

1 Like