What's your thoughts on Lorcana?

Didn’t really hear much about this until recently. Seem’s like it could be a buy just with all the hype going into the release later this year. Curious about what the community thinks.

1 Like

I don’t know too much about it but the art I’ve seen looks really cool. I think I’ll pick up a box to rip when it’s released as it could be a nice side-collection if the singles aren’t to expensive.

3 Likes

Lots of thoughts can be found here:

I think the most common responses were:

• Cool, I like Disney
  • The IP is strong and Disney is huge, so it will likely be high-quality
  • Lorcana feels like a family-friendly Magic the Gathering
  • Why are the D23 Expo Promos so expensive?
3 Likes

Thanks for the link! I’m also curious why those promos are going for so much.

I think it’s going to be huge. In a nutshell, Disney has so much money, reach and ability to produce so many different types of products they’d have to really mess something up. Disney fans are seriously obsessed or dedicated to put it nicely. Scott has a great analysis on it somewhere… maybe someone else can help find it. I’ll try. He summed it up nicely with: “it’s theirs to lose”.

If I didn’t need all the extra money for pokemon, I’d definitely picking up the d23 promos which I think will reach very high prices if the game succeeds.

1 Like

I’ve been keeping an eye out on Lorcana. A buddy of mine managed to get one of the Mickey promos they were handing out at D23 but wasn’t able to get one of those 6 card sets. I feel the price of the promos for a yet to be released game are insane, especially that free Mickey. My friend said they had a ton of Mickeys but the 6 card set was legitimately very hard to get so I understand the prices on that.

Apparently the cards are printed on very thin cardboard and overall feel cheaper than most card games. Also I hear that Ravensberger wasn’t very good at balancing Villainous (their previous card game). So I’m feeling a little nervous about it, but I’ll buy a box or two and give the game a fair try.

What I like:

• I like a few Disney IPs (Alladin, Mulan, Lion King, Lilo and Stitch) and I’m excited to see what their cards look like.
  • I like what I’m hearing about the gameplay, basically Magic with hearthstone’s mana system. Nothing is more frustrating than getting mana screwed.
  • The artwork looks good
  • Seems very collectible
  • Releasing it to game stores first, meaning they care about promoting it and giving local game shops dibs as far as distribution goes

What I don’t like:

• Thin cardboard
  • Probably will be a little too safe and won’t get anything I’d really want to see on a Disney card game (I want a Lilo punching Myrtle card so bad)
  • Ravensberger may/may not have issues balancing the game?
2 Likes

Disney fans are crazy…even crazier than Pokemon fans.

Whether people are genuinely interested or not is another matter though…

3 Likes

I’m excited for it. I like the Disney brand and I feel theres definitely a ton they could do with the cards. The only cards I’ve seen so far were the D23 promo cards, and I felt they were pretty good.

I hope that the cards have a sense of “natural” rarity and demand to them. I’d be a bit upset if Disney goes the Sports/Modern Magic route of 1/1, 1/50, 1/1000, etc. I don’t think this type of rarity/demand is healthy or fun for collectors/players.

1 Like

The art looks good, but it really depends on whether scalpers and their other parasitic brethren have chosen to target it. Maybe they already have. Also, with 0 experience at card games, will Disney be more Pokemon or Hasbro?

2 Likes

I’m OOTL – is Pixar going to be involved in any way? I feel like that’s pretty key to fueling the stonk fire for Lorcana

1 Like

Shouldn’t this be default by this point. There will always be people who would want to exploit the fan base. This will always be part of the hobby.

Cheers!

1 Like

If there’s money to be made, scalpers will be there. Just the way it is. Even if you look like a clown:

1 Like

Just sent multiple D23 Mickeys to PSA. Hope for good grades!

1 Like

Disney owns Pixar, so I’d assume so. Pixar isn’t making the physical cards or anything, its just that the cards should feature Pixar characters as well as anything else Disney owns. I’m not sure if Disney will include Star Wars, since there are already SW cards, but who knows.

1 Like

Don’t know enough about the TCG or how it works etc.

But only a fool would bet against Disney.

4 Likes

It could be a good thing for the tabletop community. As long as Disney doesn’t milk it like WotC would… BUT, it’ll be interesting to see what happens. Who knows. The hype train certainly seems strong with this one. (And I just realized that is technically a disney reference now… geeze. :unamused: )

2 Likes

So far considering the sheer wealth of material they have in their archive and different styles of artists they have had over the last 100 years the art is really cookie-cutter and boring. Would rather just buy a nice art book.

I do not understand the squish hype. To each their own I guess,

1 Like

I am super hyped for Lorcana and the game play. Will definitely be invested in this tcg.

2 Likes

I’m not hyped at all; it’s just not for me/I don’t really care about disney characters. I’ll stick to pokemon.

2 Likes