Debunking No Rarity Japanese Base

Information has been updated and moved to this thread :blush:

17 Likes

Just getting started will update with all the different product that fall under the *maybe* containing no rarity category like the different gift sets etc. Let me know if I am missing or wrong with anything or if you can add info but note things like the 2 weeks theory need to have evidence and can’t be based on assumption etc unless valid through some sort of source.

Thought I’d contribute some pictures/information. Feel free to correct any mistakes I have made.

Short Pack

Below is a picture of the back of my short pack, which I believe is the same short pack in that linked picture. All text appears to be the same between the 291 Yen long pack and 300 Yen long pack.

Decks "Starter Packs"

The next pictures are a comparison of decks with the two different postal codes. (Right - Long Code, Left - Short Code). All text/numbers appear to be the same besides the postal code. The only other difference I see is that the Long Code deck exhibits a color closer to purple than the Short Code deck, which exhibits a color closer to blue. This can be seen on the third picture.

Gift Pack

The gift pack I have currently displays the 1st or 2nd edition print run for the decks, with no rarity cards. However (I will try and dig for the photos and confirm), I believe that they are the 2nd edition print. I believe the TCA was selling an opened one last year and I believe the cards had rarity symbols. There was also a seller from Australia who was selling an opened box and said the cards had rarity symbols.

4 Likes

If everyone contributes their information to this, and you can make everything succinct and neat in the first post then I will sticky this post for everyones benefit.

2 Likes

Good info! @ocghp I’ll add your pics to the top just double checking the picture of the back of the decks, the left is still the short code?

When we talk about the 1st and 2nd print run has this been documented anywhere? Do you mean 291Y and 300Y packs or are you referring to short and long post code product?

3 Likes

Just so I am clear, has anyone ever opened a short pack on camera?

No

I have $5 on it if we all decide to pitch in for a short pack to be opened on camera.

theres a guy with an entire box. he wants 20k.

lets all put in lol.

I had a dream about opening no rarity packs before the listing showed up in 2015.

We all know my dreams come true. just ask gym freak and pokemaster556.

My predictive powers are unpresedentington.

We just need one pack @pokemonsyndicate

I think its ridiculous that these packs haven’t been opened.

Alpha/Beta packs have been opened on camera,

86/87 Fleer’s have been opened on camera,

52 topps have been opened,

People. Open. The. Damn. Packs.

That said, id probably not open my packs if i had any…

1 Like

@ocghp how much would you need to open your short pack on camera? Do you have extras or just the one? Anyone else on the forum have one or multiples?

How much do these go for and are they (relatively) commonly available @pokemonsyndicate? Quick search on eBay and I can’t find anything. I have followed this from a distance for a while now and it definitely piques my interest. At times I can be a gambling man and the intrigue is just too much to not go for it if it was semi reasonable.

they arnt common at all. would be lucky to show up once a year.

Darkrai had a few packs, was basically the only listing on the planet and he got em. they sell for roughly 400usd each or around the 700 he listed for. Im not sure, but sealed collectors will go out of there way to spend a fair amount on these gemz. as there basically non existant. Rightfully so to.,. they deserve the premium in my opinion given the rarity.

If you think about it. This guy that wants 20k or 15 or whatever.

Thats. 60 packs xx 400usd at minimum = 24k usd.

IF psa had a good pack grading system…

Maybe find some solid info on why short packs are the first iteration. Is there any proof they were released before the 291Y long display packs? Maybe they were distributed at the same time but the short packs were in more limited quantity.

I have a short pack but have no reason to believe there’s any no rarity cards inside. If someone really wanted to spend the money on buy it just to open it I’m willing to part with it as it’s not a big part of my collection.

How much would you be looking for? I could consider it. Key word being consider so please don’t suddenly expect it of me but I’m showing interest in dumping the money on it

Synd’s price estimates looked fair to me.

So around 400 or so then?

Yes.

Added more info to the OP including the 4 different rulebooks found in the starter deck and info on the 1996 Quick Starter Gift Set.

Questions that are probably impossible to answer but I thought of them anyway lol:

• Were cards with rarity symbols pulled at release on October 1996?
  • Were the only cards pulled at release no rarity?
  • Were the no rarity cards distributed in one or more locations on purpose or perhaps unofficially i.e. kinda like the English demo pack and Trainer Deck A/B?
  • Did the initial release exceed the expected demand to the point that they released earlier template cards (no rarity) to meet demands?
  • Did they always intend to print cards with rarity symbols, if so why print no rarity?
  • Did Media Factory not think to include different rarities until after release?

Also found an ad in Oct 1996 corocoro with what looks like a Switch Trainer card with a rarity symbol, but need a better scan to work with or someone with a copy can just look lol
link and inverted link