No Rarity Discussion

I understand where @fourthstartcg is coming from, whilst there is some deductive reasoning that suggests these short packs contain the No Rarity cards, he is right in saying that advertising a box like this on speculation is dicey. But in that same vein if I thought I had a Box with NR cards in it, I’d be doing the same thing.

He is going to have a REALLY tough time selling that box on speculation alone, even if he realised only half of his 30k asking price. That’s a lot of dough for someone to drop on something that could end up being worth far, far less.

I’d put this in the same situation as the many variants that COULD contain Shadowless cards for the English Base Set boxes. I think as long as the seller makes it very clear that they do not know for certain that NR is in this box, then it’s ok.

If I could get my hands on a Base Short Pack I’d not hesitate for a second to open it to see what was inside. For real.

3 Likes

@darkrai I think this would be a good thread too … 1st question for the thread… How much did you pay for each pack? LOL. 2nd Question, did you get them off yahoojapan?

page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g160229146

1 Like

zomg - www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Japanese-PSA-10-Gem-Mint-Base-No-Rarity-Charizard-Holo-POP-1-HOLY-GRAIL-/172008896741

“Once upon a time someone at UPCCC told me I was bitter about my “failed foray into no rarity cards” and that he was “at the top looking down” at me - I guess he was wrong AGAIN. Hahaha!”

What a childish thing to say.

4 Likes

8 Likes

It’s even more speculative than shadowless. With shadowless, there are at least some defined things that can signal that you have a shadowless box. You can at times be near-certain that you have one. That’s not the case here with the short-top packs.

It’s like throwing up a random interestingly-printed EX series pack (not Dragon Frontiers, let’s say Power Keepers) and putting GOLD STAR CHARIZARD CHANCE in the title. Maybe through some miraculous misprint, the pack contains a Gold Star Charizard. It’s certainly more likely to contain a Gold Star Charizard than say, a Neo pack or a regularly printed Power Keepers pack. But then the chance to pull Gold Star Charizards from this interestingly-printed pack has never been verified, and Gold Star Charizards might just not even come in these types of packs to begin with.

I’m sorry if I’m coming across as aggressive, but I find it funny that @darkrai refuses to open up a pack to verify the contents but then has no problem throwing it up on eBay with “No Rarity” all over the listing. I understand the reasoning behind listing it like this, I really do, but you’re just hoping some uneducated sucker will overpay for this in the hope that they get something they aren’t guaranteed.

As I said earlier, we will not know definitively where these cards come from until someone has the balls to open up a pack. Hell, for all we know, short packs could contain Yu Gi Oh cards.

4 Likes

^ I wholeheartedly agree

Wtf. Someone please alert me if these packs come up again so I can buy this shit and open the shit out of them and figure this shit out once and for all the shit.

If anybody here won this lot, I will gladly pay the correct percentage for 1 of the packs and open it for all to see.

5 Likes

*Discussion moved*

I can see how the advertisement for the short pack is a bit of a gray area. Most people assume they contain No-Rarity cards. However, there is a difference in making the definitive claim that it contains something, vs fluffing a title with subjective hype phrases as seen with the square cut blastoise.

If anything, I think all of this points to how young and unknown everything no rarity is in the hobby. In fact, if you look at the pop report, not a single card is in double digits. There are a ton of people who still have no clue about these cards. Hell, even us “serious collectors” don’t know the true origin.

2 Likes

If there are many sealed collectors who appreciate these, then there should be no need to speculate on whether they contain no rarity cards. They should be attractive on the virtue of being short packs alone.

It’s not the same as Gary putting some flowery language in the title. I’m reminded of that scene in Elf where Buddy sees a sign saying “World’s Best Coffee” on some boring NY coffee shop, and then goes nuts. Anyone in their right mind knows it’s not the World’s Best Coffee. Gary putting that in the title isn’t bad because it’s subjective, even you yourself acknowledge that. It’s a matter of belief whether or not that’s “The Pokemon World’s #1 Error.” However, whether or not your pack contains No Rarity cards is not subjective. Either it does, or it doesn’t. Now to your credit, you don’t claim the pack definitively contains them. But then you can’t, because if someone does open it expecting no rarity cards, and you’re wrong, you’d have a hard-to-win eBay case on your hands.

You and the guy with the booster boxes are selling off of pure speculation and not even consensus in the hobby.

2 Likes

You know that I was bidding for the packs because as you said I’ve never seen one “short” pack for sale from 5+ years… I’m glad that you help me with this piece of history. I think that what’s inside the short pack is insignificant, you can pull no-rarity cards or normal base set cards. For now I’ve never seen someone that open “short” packs, so this is a mistery until someone try to do it and can prove it with a video or images. Yes, if inside the short base pack there are no-rarity cards it’s beautiful otherwise it’s also cool because booster packs collector as me love to see different variety of the same product with small difference! (short version - 291 yen - 300 yen)

Does it really affect you how Svenn or that guy with the booster boxes are advertising what they have for sale? You seem to be dragging this argument for no reason. If someone buys it and doesnt get no rarity cards and opens a case then thats svenns problem so no point discussing this really. Its like advertising a illustrator to being the rarest when its not but yet you would put its the rarest in a listing as its a way to advertise it end of the day the buyer will have done his research before buying items like these. No random guy is going to buy a short pack not knowing what the history to it is.

3 Likes

Glad you mentioned the bit about the illustrator. I changed my description on the second copy I sold to “most valuable card” as it is actually the most valuable card. However, I think people commonly refer to something as “rarest” when it is not literally the rarest. It is a shorthand form of advertising.

Either way, I think Ethan is trying to highlight the integrity aspect, as currently everything is based on rumors.

1 Like

Does it really affect me? Well, if you want to distill the entire argument down to that, then no it doesn’t. I have no control over how he advertises the stuff he’s selling.

My point here is that even speculating that these packs/boxes have no rarity cards is false advertising. There is zero hard fact backing this assertion up. We have no idea where no rarity cards come from. I’ve laid out my argument many times before so no need to go over it again.

1 Like

[/quote]Glad you mentioned the bit about the illustrator. I changed my description on the second copy I sold to “most valuable card” as it is actually the most valuable card. However, I think people commonly refer to something as “rarest” when it is not literally the rarest. It is a shorthand form of advertising.

Either way, I think Ethan is trying to highlight the integrity aspect, as currently everything is based on rumors.

[/quote]

Wasnt calling you out out or anything if I had a illustrator I would probably put rarest same goes for the unikarp or trophy khan as I personally put 30-50 copies which may be wrong but yet I use those figures for my advertisement purposes.

[/quote]Does it really affect me? Well, if you want to distill the entire argument down to that, then no it doesn’t. I have no control over how he advertises the stuff he’s selling.

My point here is that even speculating that these packs/boxes have no rarity cards is false advertising. There is zero hard fact backing this assertion up. We have no idea where no rarity cards come from. I’ve laid out my argument many times before so no need to go over it again. [/quote]

They came from somewhere they werent distributed from thin air so until a day comes someone open a short pack or gets lucky in finding a first print starter deck we just wont know but I dont see it wrong trying to use that info to your advantage to advertise something as Svenn or that other guy isnt saying it set in stone that short packs have the cards.

Just remembered Cally mentioning she opened a starter deck and it containing no rarities but may be mistaken. I dont have the time atm to go through all the old threads to where that was mentioned.

I understood where you were coming from. I just wanted to emphasize how I personally adjusted the listing, but don’t think it is wrong if someone else did not.

However, making a false claim about how many copies is different, that would be considered false advertisement. Nothing personal, but saying 30-50 copies were awarded, especially for magikarp would be false advertisement.

1 Like

Its how you view it. I see my customers knowing exactly what they are going to buy and have done their research. I dont see a normal collector being on the market for a unikarp. If a guy tries researching about the unikarp pretty sure upccc will be one of the first links. Still doesnt effect the price in any way shape or form its still going for $1000 and above in nr mint plus condition.

If you know that 1,000 copies were awarded and you state 30-50 copies were awarded, that has nothing to do with the customer, that is entirely you misleading people with false information.

4 Likes